News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoePCool14

Literally just noticed this one.

versus
Minor things that annoy you-sports edition

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

tchafe1978

When people say "near-miss" when what they really mean is "near-hit".

texaskdog

Quote from: JoePCool14 on March 13, 2021, 05:07:44 PM
Literally just noticed this one.

versus
Minor things that annoy you-sports edition

When I set it up I didn't bother to look, that's what I thought it was!

GaryV

Flint1979

Annoying and immature people

Flint1979

Quote from: interstatefan990 on March 12, 2021, 08:35:01 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 12, 2021, 03:15:39 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on March 12, 2021, 01:50:20 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 12, 2021, 08:04:27 AM
I have heard that, in Europe, if you're in the leftmost lane and approaching someone going slower than you, if you flash your lights they will move right ASAP. I'm not sure if it's true, but it does make sense.

True here too. Quick flash of the high-beams usually gets someone out of the way. But then Washington has fairly strict keep-right rules, so people don't put up a fight.

I've never seen that in this country, and if I did, I'd think someone was either in an emergency or wanted road rage.

American drivers are way too impatient for something like that. They'd sooner zip past in the right lane (without signaling, of course) before you even notice that you're holding them up.
What I can't stand is like on a four lane highway (two lanes in each direction) someone in the left lane is poking around the speed limit and another car in the right lane is doing the same speed. I have had this issue on US-23 several times it's so annoying just pass and get back over it's really not that hard.

Rothman

Quote from: tchafe1978 on March 13, 2021, 10:57:26 PM
What is a near-miss, if not a near-hit?  Sorry, the masses have spoken on this one.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

SSOWorld

That's what they tell you.

"Get on the plane! get on the plane!"

Fuck you! I'm getting in the plane!

Let Evel Knievel get on the plane!

-----

Also "enplane" and "deplane"

So when did Tatoo speak become standard?

DEPLANE! DEPLANE!!!
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

tolbs17

renegade

Clickbait.  I absolutely despise that.

Also could not care less about 'social media.'  Fakebook, Twutter, Insta-crack ... none of that on my devices.

Online gambling commercials on TV.
Don’t ask me how I know.  Just understand that I do.

interstatefan990

Quote from: Rothman on March 14, 2021, 09:17:52 AM
Quote from: tchafe1978 on March 13, 2021, 10:57:26 PM
What is a near-miss, if not a near-hit?  Sorry, the masses have spoken on this one.

I think it's kind of like two ideas combined into one- it was a miss that was nearly a hit. Hence, "near-miss".
Multi-lane roundabouts are an abomination to mankind.

CoreySamson

Quote from: tolbs17 on March 14, 2021, 03:30:01 PM
Tiktok emotions.
How about TikTok in general? That app annoys the crap out of me.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

texaskdog

Quote from: renegade on March 14, 2021, 03:38:16 PM
Clickbait.  I absolutely despise that.

Also could not care less about 'social media.'  Fakebook, Twutter, Insta-crack ... none of that on my devices.

Online gambling commercials on TV.

The worst are anything having to do with manscaping or having larger balls etc.  It's disgusting and I stopped listening to all shows that carry that advertising.

wxfree

"Man," "men," everyone gets that.  But somehow adding two letters makes it incomprehensible.  Seeing "a good women" and "a group of woman" irritates me.  It isn't just because it's wrong, but because it's so easy to get right.
I'd like to buy a vowel, Alex.  What is E?

US 89

When you can see 2 digital clocks at the same time (like on an oven and microwave right above it) and they aren't exactly synched.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: US 89 on March 15, 2021, 01:39:01 AM
When you can see 2 digital clocks at the same time (like on an oven and microwave right above it) and they aren't exactly synched.

That doesn't get me so much, given how hard it is to exactly synch them. Being two minutes apart, though, that's too much. Like this, at the Austin Convention Center which bothered me enough that I took a picture of it:

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

texaskdog

When you can see 2 digital clocks at the same time (like on an oven and microwave right above it) and they aren’t exactly synched.

oh God  I could live with my car clock being an hour off but 1:02 off this morning was too much.  and I have to synch them all to the official time.  https://time.gov/

webny99

Yikes... yes, definitely. I can deal with anything under 30 seconds, but if it's multiple minutes I'd go crazy.

hotdogPi

I know of a set of church bells (they don't ring anymore) that would get about 2 seconds earlier each day. They finally fixed the offset when it was 10 minutes early (well, 50 minutes late because it was in DST and we weren't), but they still didn't fix the drift.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Flint1979

Mine does that. I'll set the time on both of them and the microwave will somehow get to be 2 minutes faster than the one on the range.

kphoger

Quote from: SSOWorld on March 14, 2021, 09:48:00 AM

DEPLANE! DEPLANE!!!

I've decided that, when I eat my dinner, I am actually 'deplating' my food.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

When there's two lanes, and one of them ends just beyond a stoplight, and everyone lines up single file at the stoplight, like as if the second lane doesn't even exist.  :banghead:

texaskdog

Quote from: webny99 on March 15, 2021, 03:07:18 PM
When there's two lanes, and one of them ends just beyond a stoplight, and everyone lines up single file at the stoplight, like as if the second lane doesn't even exist.  :banghead:

Opposite for me, when they sit in the right lane and are not right turning and prevent everyone else from right turning

webny99

Quote from: texaskdog on March 15, 2021, 03:49:48 PM
Quote from: webny99 on March 15, 2021, 03:07:18 PM

Opposite for me, when they sit in the right lane and are not right turning and prevent everyone else from right turning

I'm mostly referring to freeway interchanges, where the traffic exiting the freeway is coming from the right and therefore, nobody is turning right.

As for the situation you describe, I will use my judgment on a case-by-case basis as to whether to use the right lane if it's empty. If the line in the left lane is long enough that there's a risk of missing the light, then I will certainly use the right lane, or switch to the right lane when the light changes. If it's three cars or less, I usually won't, unless I can see far enough back and nobody's coming that might want to turn right.

texaskdog

Quote from: kphoger on March 15, 2021, 11:34:08 AM
Quote from: SSOWorld on March 14, 2021, 09:48:00 AM

DEPLANE! DEPLANE!!!

I've decided that, when I eat my dinner, I am actually 'deplating' my food.

Without further ado......has anyone ever said "with further ado"?

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.