News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Minor things that bother you

Started by planxtymcgillicuddy, November 27, 2019, 12:15:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zachary_amaryllis

Quote from: wanderer2575 on January 07, 2024, 11:47:44 AM
Quote from: kkt on January 07, 2024, 11:39:18 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on January 07, 2024, 10:45:15 AM
Quote from: GaryV on January 07, 2024, 07:55:12 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on January 06, 2024, 11:53:01 PM
I kind of laughed at the 'panic buying' of things like TP due to that 'bug' craze a few years ago. Most of that kind of stuff I buy in case lots and have an ample supply on hand

What if you are right near the end of the case when the next zombie apocalypse happens?

I normally restock non-perishables when my supply gets below half.

Mike

Yes.  I don't really understand the panic buying of non-perishables.

I think the toilet paper one has a simple explanation:  Most people are terrified at the thought of taking a shit in the woods if there's no TP to be had.

If nothing else, a good use for all those odd socks.
clinched:
I-64, I-80, I-76 (west), *64s in hampton roads, 225,270,180 (co, wy)

GaryV

Both Kroger and Meijer had Pączki this week. We just got to Epiphany. It's still 5 weeks until Fat Tuesday.

JayhawkCO

Am I the only person that had never heard of Epiphany before reading it on AARoads?

Rothman

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 09, 2024, 09:36:00 AM
Am I the only person that had never heard of Epiphany before reading it on AARoads?
Yes.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

kphoger

Quote from: D-Dey65 on January 08, 2024, 06:53:00 PM
I'm still pissed off that I can't find this location on Long Island;
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Long_Island_Run._(5606543006).jpg

And I see you've been wondering for five years now.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Max Rockatansky

I didn't know it was a thing until my wife explained what it was in 2020.  I'm not the slightest bit religious so a lot of like topics probably went over my head when I was growing up.

kphoger

That's not surprising at all.  Generally, only those who have been decently well involved in "high church" Christianity would have any reason to have heard of it in this country.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Rothman on January 09, 2024, 11:40:27 AM
Yes.

Quote from: kphoger on January 09, 2024, 01:21:18 PM

That's not surprising at all.  Generally, only those who have been decently well involved in "high church" Christianity would have any reason to have heard of it in this country.

So, no. I'm not. :)

What exactly does "high church" mean?

kphoger

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 09, 2024, 02:47:22 PM
What exactly does "high church" mean?

Those denominations that are characterized by ritual, sacraments, fancy pastoral/priestly clothing, and old traditions in general.  Catholic, Lutheran, Anglican/Episcopalian, Presbyterian, etc.  If it's a catholic-y church, then it's probably caught under the "high church" umbrella.

This is in contrast to "low church" Christianity, which is those denominations that have historically worked to rid themselves of those trappings to either lesser or greater degree.  Baptist, Pentecostal, most American non-denominational congregations, etc.  If it's an un-catholic-y church, then it's probably caught under the "low church" umbrella.

In general, "low church" denominations have more or less abandoned the traditional liturgical calendar, and so those feast days that are culturally less important also have become less important within the church.  Because Epiphany is not culturally "a thing" here in the USA, it's not "a thing" in those church traditions here either.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on January 09, 2024, 03:01:30 PM
Those denominations that are characterized by ritual, sacraments, fancy pastoral/priestly clothing, and old traditions in general.  Catholic, Lutheran, Anglican/Episcopalian, Presbyterian, etc.  If it's a catholic-y church, then it's probably caught under the "high church" umbrella.

This is in contrast to "low church" Christianity, which is those denominations that have historically worked to rid themselves of those trappings to either lesser or greater degree.  Baptist, Pentecostal, most American non-denominational congregations, etc.  If it's an un-catholic-y church, then it's probably caught under the "low church" umbrella.

In general, "low church" denominations have more or less abandoned the traditional liturgical calendar, and so those feast days that are culturally less important also have become less important within the church.  Because Epiphany is not culturally "a thing" here in the USA, it's not "a thing" in those church traditions here either.

Well, I was baptized Episcopalian, and my maternal grandparents attended Episcopalian churches. My paternal grandparents went to Lutheran church twice a week as long as I had known them. Still haven't heard of Epiphany.

kphoger

Generally, only those who have been decently well involved in "high church" Christianity would have any reason to have heard of it in this country.

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 09, 2024, 03:05:43 PM
I was baptized Episcopalian,
my maternal grandparents attended Episcopalian churches
My paternal grandparents went to Lutheran church twice a week as long as I had known them.

I'm not getting "I was decently well involved" vibes from that post.  No offense if I'm reading you wrong.

But perfectly fair anyway.  My own father is a Lutheran pastor, and I was only vaguely familiar with Epiphany growing up.  Until the last decade or so, I'm not sure I could even have told you what it was or even what time of year it was.
Male pronouns, please.

J N Winkler

I did grow up knowing about Epiphany, but technically I count as a cradle Catholic, though I have been nonobservant since the age of 13.  The unmooring of Epiphany from January 6, reported earlier in this thread (IIRC), came as news to me.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

JayhawkCO

Quote from: kphoger on January 09, 2024, 03:54:53 PM
Generally, only those who have been decently well involved in "high church" Christianity would have any reason to have heard of it in this country.

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 09, 2024, 03:05:43 PM
I was baptized Episcopalian,
my maternal grandparents attended Episcopalian churches
My paternal grandparents went to Lutheran church twice a week as long as I had known them.

I'm not getting "I was decently well involved" vibes from that post.  No offense if I'm reading you wrong.

But perfectly fair anyway.  My own father is a Lutheran pastor, and I was only vaguely familiar with Epiphany growing up.  Until the last decade or so, I'm not sure I could even have told you what it was or even what time of year it was.

You'd still think maybe I would have heard the term from my churchgoing grandparents. Both were pretty involved in their churches. Just because I never attended with regularity (Christmas Eve and occasional trips when we stayed with my dad's parents), I tend to remember details easily. Either way, just thought it odd.

hbelkins

I'm not exactly sure what Epiphany is, but I'm very familiar with the phrase "had an epiphany," which is synonymous with "had a revelation" in these parts.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: hbelkins on January 09, 2024, 07:34:13 PM
I'm not exactly sure what Epiphany is, but I'm very familiar with the phrase "had an epiphany," which is synonymous with "had a revelation" in these parts.

In short, it is the Christian holiday that commemorates the revelation of Jesus' divinity to the world.  Depending on which tradition, this either means the three wise men (foreign diplomats acknowledging his divinity by worshiping him with gifts), his baptism by John (upon which his divinity was audibly declared by God's own voice from heaven), and/or his first miracle (which demonstrated his divinity tangibly).  Originally, it encompassed everything from his conception to the beginning of his earthly ministry, but eventually, in the 4th Century -ish, Christmas split off to become its own holiday.

It's what comes after the twelve days of Christmas:  thus, January 6.  But, let's be honest, most of us wouldn't even know there were twelve days of Christmas if it weren't for the Muppets singing that song.

The phrase 'had an epiphany' is related:  it's when someone hitherto unknown to you suddenly became apparent.  Whether that's the divinity of Jesus or how the flux capacitor makes time travel possible—it's an epiphany either way.
Male pronouns, please.

Rothman

Us Mormons don't celebrate Epiphany, but I certainly heard and know about it, beyond my time living amongst the Orthodox in Russia.

Then again, studies have shown that Mormons tend to know more about other religions than other religious people know about other religions.  Probably due to our missionary focus.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

D-Dey65

1995hoo

I've always heard it called "the Epiphany" with the definite article.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 09, 2024, 10:51:02 PM
I've always heard it called "the Epiphany" with the definite article.

I've heard "The Feast of the Epiphany" (definite article) and "Epiphany" (no definite article).
Male pronouns, please.

1995hoo

Turning aside from religious observances, our hotel room this week has a stall shower with a hinged door (as opposed to sliding bypass doors). The hinged door looks nice, but I've concluded over time that it's an impractical design. It seems like no matter what you do, there's always a small puddle of water outside the door on the side that swings open (the side opposite the hinges). I suppose that annoys me less in a hotel room than it would at home, of course, although it doesn't do the bath mat (which, as usual for most hotels, is just a towel) any favors because one corner is always wet when you get out of the shower.

Once upon a time my wife had liked the idea of that kind of door if we were to redo our master bathroom at home, but having a puddle on the floor every day is a pain. Anyone know of a practical way to avoid that problem?

JayhawkCO

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 10, 2024, 09:50:31 AM
Turning aside from religious observances, our hotel room this week has a stall shower with a hinged door (as opposed to sliding bypass doors). The hinged door looks nice, but I've concluded over time that it's an impractical design. It seems like no matter what you do, there's always a small puddle of water outside the door on the side that swings open (the side opposite the hinges). I suppose that annoys me less in a hotel room than it would at home, of course, although it doesn't do the bath mat (which, as usual for most hotels, is just a towel) any favors because one corner is always wet when you get out of the shower.

Once upon a time my wife had liked the idea of that kind of door if we were to redo our master bathroom at home, but having a puddle on the floor every day is a pain. Anyone know of a practical way to avoid that problem?

I agree. I always hate these. Outside of a squeegee and a very absorbent bathmat, I don't know that there's anything that can be done if it can't open to the inside of the shower.

1995hoo

^^^^

This particular door can open inward, but it's pointless to do so because there's no room to stand in there if you open the door that way.

J N Winkler

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 10, 2024, 09:50:31 AMOnce upon a time my wife had liked the idea of that kind of door if we were to redo our master bathroom at home, but having a puddle on the floor every day is a pain. Anyone know of a practical way to avoid that problem?

I do, since I regularly take showers in a booth that has a hinged door.  The key is to position the door far off enough to the side of the nozzle that water never actually sprays onto it.  Although I have to squeegee condensation off the entire inside of the booth, water never crosses the lip of the door sill.  The door is also unframed, though it has clear flexible flashing along the bottom.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

jeffandnicole

Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 10, 2024, 10:33:04 AM

I agree. I always hate these. Outside of a squeegee and a very absorbent bathmat, I don't know that there's anything that can be done if it can't open to the inside of the shower.

Its related to the rubber flaps that often go around these doors. If they can seal the area between the door and floor, wall or adjoining panel, it should greatly reduce the amount of water that gets out.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 10, 2024, 11:49:58 AM
^^^^

This particular door can open inward, but it's pointless to do so because there's no room to stand in there if you open the door that way.

I meant "had enough room to go inward that wouldn't crush the showerer".

Quote from: jeffandnicole on January 10, 2024, 12:40:48 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on January 10, 2024, 10:33:04 AM

Its related to the rubber flaps that often go around these doors. If they can seal the area between the door and floor, wall or adjoining panel, it should greatly reduce the amount of water that gets out.

The water still gets out when you open the door to get out though.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.