News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Forum functionality issues

Started by Alex, September 29, 2023, 08:14:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Max Rockatansky

Quote from: SkyPesos on September 29, 2023, 12:55:15 PM
"Threat of legal action by a banned user"

Hmm, I wonder if this bit I saw when the forum was closed gives a clue to said user

EDIT: Never mind, it was mentioned above.

I must know, where did you find that?

DTComposer

Quote from: rickmastfan67 on September 29, 2023, 12:41:38 PM
Quote from: Alex on September 29, 2023, 12:38:54 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on September 29, 2023, 12:31:03 PM
Quote from: BlueOutback7 on September 29, 2023, 11:46:01 AM
The Northeast board shows Ian's name several times.

Where exactly?  Ian's name only shows up once for me on the front page as well as inside of that section.

There are a number of regional boards that show moderator names multiple times, with Corco's being the most displayed of all.

Weird.  Seems to be hit and miss with that.  I just got it now, but most of the time, I only just get 1 name.

For me, the repeated names only show up on the boards I post in, and the number of times a name appears seems to be relative to the amount that I post in that board - don't know if that's a coincidence or not?

Alex

I am going to temporarily put the forum in maintenance mode while I reset a table in the database.

froggie

FWIW, I'm not seeing the "moderators listed multiple times" issue that was reported upthread.  Nor am I seeing the "arrow problem".  Granted, I use the Core Theme because the default and button copy themes are too hard on my eyes.

SkyPesos

Quote from: Max Rockatansky on September 29, 2023, 02:02:32 PM
Quote from: SkyPesos on September 29, 2023, 12:55:15 PM
"Threat of legal action by a banned user"

Hmm, I wonder if this bit I saw when the forum was closed gives a clue to said user

EDIT: Never mind, it was mentioned above.

I must know, where did you find that?
It was one of the rotating News messages when the forum was under maintenance. It was shorter than what I was used to seeing there, and I never expected to see a forum meme there.

hotdogPi

Moderator socking duplication is fixed. Quacbec still exists, though.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

1995hoo

I concur, moderator duplication is no longer happening on my screen.

I do now notice that the em dashes in my autosignature are displaying as gibberish.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

kphoger

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 29, 2023, 02:34:09 PM
I do now notice that the em dashes in my autosignature are displaying as gibberish.

As has already been mentioned multiple times in this thread, the issue of nonstandard symbols rendering improperly is a known issue.

You should be able to manually fix your own signature, though, by going into your profile.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Alex

I reset one of the tables that logs what boards have been visited via member id to try to address the green arrow/new posts issue. But problems persist...

There is another database change I can try related to sessions and "mark-read", but I am going to run it by rickmastfan67 first.

1995hoo

Quote from: kphoger on September 29, 2023, 02:39:13 PM

As has already been mentioned multiple times in this thread, the issue of nonstandard symbols rendering improperly is a known issue.

You should be able to manually fix your own signature, though, by going into your profile.

I didn't think an em dash was a nonstandard symbol.

Edited to add: Thanks for the suggestion of editing my profile, as that seems to have fixed it.

hotdogPi

Quote from: 1995hoo on September 29, 2023, 02:45:03 PM

It's outside this.
Clinched, plus MA 286

webny99

... specifically a known issue even before the recent maintenance, right?

It might be worse/affecting more characters now, but I used to get quotes displaying incorrectly in thread titles quite frequently.

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on September 29, 2023, 02:48:16 PM

It might be worse/affecting more characters now, but I used to get quotes displaying incorrectly in thread titles quite frequently.

The only thing that happened before the maintenance was Tapatalk converting curly quotes and apostrophes into HTML entities (not mojibake). This is affecting everything non-ASCII except for posts made the day it's been up after the maintenance.
Clinched, plus MA 286

CNGL-Leudimin

And some posts I've restored back to the correct version. I've changed an ß back to ß, for instance.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

1995hoo

Quote from: 1 on September 29, 2023, 02:46:27 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on September 29, 2023, 02:45:03 PM

It's outside this.

Oh, well, of course, obviously. How could anyone be so stupid as not to know such basic information as that. 

hotdogPi

This thread will not show as read no matter how many times I read it. Posting here doesn't fix it, either.

Fictional license plate systems is now doing that, too. In addition, I put fake mojibake in one of my posts (after the two-minute downtime an hour ago), and now it's just three question marks... but the actual mojibake in other threads isn't fixed.
Clinched, plus MA 286

74/171FAN

Yes, 1, the same thing is happening with the I-73 Updates Thread to me.  (it may be every thread now)
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

hbelkins

I don't remember exactly what it was that caused Baloo Uriza to get banned.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on September 29, 2023, 02:51:31 PM

Quote from: webny99 on September 29, 2023, 02:48:16 PM

The only thing that happened before the maintenance was Tapatalk converting curly quotes and apostrophes into HTML entities (not mojibake). This is affecting everything non-ASCII except for posts made the day it's been up after the maintenance.

The same basic translation problem that has existed between Tapatalk and the forum now exists between old iteration and new iteration of the forum itself.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Alex

Unfortunately, the collation problem is that the previous database was latin1_swedish_ci, and imported that way. Simply changing the collation to utf8mb4_unicode_ci in the database table structure does not actually recollate all the existing data.

Going forward, new posts should be in utf8mb4_unicode_ci. But everything posted previously needs to be converted. The available options I read about are time consuming such as creating a new database table with utf8mb4_unicode_ci, then importing all of the existing data, then sending it all back into the original table. There's over 1 million records in the messages table, so not trying that right now...

hotdogPi

Two things:

1. Can you add the most common non-ASCII character mojibake sequences to the word filter list so that they look fixed?

2. Our messages still can't be marked read. This started at 3:10 EDT, not when you did the 2-minute downtime (which was at 2:20).
Clinched, plus MA 286

freebrickproductions

Clicking the global "mark all posts as read" on my end does not mark the whole forum as read, it seems there are a few topics (like this one) that refuse to get counted as being "read".
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

kphoger

Quote from: freebrickproductions on September 29, 2023, 04:19:02 PM
Clicking the global "mark all posts as read" on my end does not mark the whole forum as read, it seems there are a few topics (like this one) that refuse to get counted as being "read".

Yeah, it's kind of funny to click on "MARK ALL MESSAGES AS READ" and then see the list of unread topics get longer (because someone posted somewhere in between).
Male pronouns, please.

Scott5114

Quote from: webny99 on September 29, 2023, 09:02:29 AM
One small change I've noticed - and I say "change" because I haven't fully judged whether it matters enough to the forum experience to be an "issue" - previously, after clicking on a board, then back to the home page, the green arrow next to that board would turn gray, to represent that board having been viewed. Now, the arrow remains green even after clicking on and off a board several times. My guess would be that the arrow will still turn gray, but only after each individual thread in that board has been viewed, although I haven't tested this yet.

This is just straight-up broken, unfortunately; once lit the green arrow never goes off. There's obviously something stuck in some table or another that isn't supposed to be there, but finding out which table and what needs to be removed is tricky.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Scott5114

Quote from: hbelkins on September 29, 2023, 03:41:50 PM
I don't remember exactly what it was that caused Baloo Uriza to get banned.

Legal threats.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.