News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

On the "tip of your tongue" (figuratively) for a long time

Started by kurumi, January 16, 2020, 11:55:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

See, what I think jakeroot doesn't seem to understand is that if I'm at home, I don't need an app to tell me what music I'm hearing because I selected it. If I'm in the car and I hear something I don't know and I want to find out what it is, I hit the dashboard button that displays the song info on the display (artist and title) since I'm usually listening to XM. So for me there's no need for that sort of app. The main place where I hear music I don't know is at hockey games, but I dislike most of what they play because a lot of it is just noise. (At Nationals games, the video board displays the artist and title for each player's walk-up music, although for the most part I don't share much musical taste with most of the players either.)
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

bandit957

Anyone else remember "Romeo's Tune"? I remember it being on the radio all the time around 1980, but I never knew what it was called and didn't hear it again for years. I thought I was just imagining it, until the early '90s when Shadoe Stevens played a piece of it on 'American Top 40' and said what it was called.
Might as well face it, pooing is cool

bandit957

Another song I want to identify is a song where the chorus went, "Crazy..." It was a female modern rock song around 1996 or 1997.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 01, 2020, 09:04:34 PM
See, what I think jakeroot doesn't seem to understand is that if I'm at home, I don't need an app to tell me what music I'm hearing because I selected it. If I'm in the car and I hear something I don't know and I want to find out what it is, I hit the dashboard button that displays the song info on the display (artist and title) since I'm usually listening to XM. So for me there's no need for that sort of app. The main place where I hear music I don't know is at hockey games, but I dislike most of what they play because a lot of it is just noise. (At Nationals games, the video board displays the artist and title for each player's walk-up music, although for the most part I don't share much musical taste with most of the players either.)
I thought the same too a couple of years ago.  But it's really for something you might hear in the background at a restaurant, store, etc.  There was one song I heard somewhere that I liked and wished I could find out what it was.  Then I remembered everyone going jakeroot over Shazam, so I downloaded it.  I don't use it that often, but occasionally it's useful to track down a song.  It works pretty good even with other background noise.

webny99

Quote from: jakeroot on June 01, 2020, 08:34:01 PM
Shazam appeals to everyone who listens to music. Which is basically everyone, no?

Not to add to your apparent shock, but count me among those who had not heard of Shazam until this very thread.
I do listen to music, but mostly on the computer, not my phone. I've never had a problem with just typing in the title or some lyrics to find a song I'm looking for. Then again, I probably use a computer a lot more and my phone a lot less than most other people. (My phone is usually still above 85% battery by the end of the work day, if that says anything...)

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 01, 2020, 08:20:37 PM
One of the apps I found most useful for a good while was "Days From," a court deadline calculator (less useful now because Siri can tell you how many days is "x" days from a given date).

Maybe I'm missing some context here, but unless you're talking about time frames of a year plus, I can usually do that in my head.

amroad17

Quote from: bandit957 on June 01, 2020, 09:10:41 PM
Anyone else remember "Romeo's Tune"? I remember it being on the radio all the time around 1980, but I never knew what it was called and didn't hear it again for years. I thought I was just imagining it, until the early '90s when Shadoe Stevens played a piece of it on 'American Top 40' and said what it was called.
I do.  Written and performed by Steve Forbert.  Since you mentioned it, I am now listening to it on YouTube.
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

jakeroot

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on June 01, 2020, 09:53:30 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on June 01, 2020, 09:04:34 PM
I thought the same too a couple of years ago.  But it's really for something you might hear in the background at a restaurant, store, etc.  There was one song I heard somewhere that I liked and wished I could find out what it was.  Then I remembered everyone going jakeroot over Shazam, so I downloaded it.  I don't use it that often, but occasionally it's useful to track down a song.  It works pretty good even with other background noise.

I've become an adjective. Excellent!

I think you've hit it pretty well. It's not something that use every waking moment. You basically just use it on those rare occasions where you're out and music is playing, such as at restaurants, stores, shopping centers, festivals, parks, watching a movie or TV show, driving in the car and you just want to note the song you're listening to (the car will tell you who you're listening to, but Shazam will actually save it to your phone), so on and so forth. There are tons of uses for it. The best is when you're watching a YouTube video, and you are trying to identify a song in the background. It's great for that too.

I personally have an icon on my phone's home screen that allows me to launch it (bottom left) immediately into its scanning mode. I don't use it constantly because, yeah, I know most of the music that I listen to. But I would hate to hear a song while I'm out literally anywhere, and not have some program on my phone that could have easily told me what song was playing. Even if it was just Siri, it's not like a function that wouldn't be helpful at least once or twice. I find it hard to believe that we all don't occasionally hear a song while we're out that we want to either identify or at least remember the name of. It happens.

amroad17

Quote from: bandit957 on June 01, 2020, 09:12:06 PM
Another song I want to identify is a song where the chorus went, "Crazy..." It was a female modern rock song around 1996 or 1997.
It is almost like you are playing "Name That Tune" with us.  "Can you name that tune in one note?"   :-D 

Right now, no.  :hmmm:
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on June 01, 2020, 10:24:00 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on June 01, 2020, 08:34:01 PM
Shazam appeals to everyone who listens to music. Which is basically everyone, no?

Not to add to your apparent shock, but count me among those who had not heard of Shazam until this very thread.
I do listen to music, but mostly on the computer, not my phone. I've never had a problem with just typing in the title or some lyrics to find a song I'm looking for. Then again, I probably use a computer a lot more and my phone a lot less than most other people. (My phone is usually still above 85% battery by the end of the work day, if that says anything...)

I will do the same thing, but only if Shazam doesn't work. Which is certainly the case from time to time, especially with really obscure stuff. The thing for Shazam, for me, is that most songs don't go on forever. I don't always have time to sit and listen to the lyrics and hope I get them correct. Shazam really only needs 3 to 10 seconds to tell you exactly what you're listening to.

And again, I want to stress that this is not an application that I use non-stop. No one does, to my knowledge. It's an app you might use once per week.

I use my phone for a lot of stuff. I'm very active physically, and have an extensive library of music on my phone. I use it a lot when I run and walk, or when I'm driving and I want to stream some music. When I don't have my earbuds in, I always have my phone and sometimes want to identify music, and I use Shazam to do that.

jakeroot

"Crazy" by Booger Queen Davis? 1997, from her album Blame It on Me.

https://youtu.be/g94UfAM1HmY

edit: music video

mgk920

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on June 01, 2020, 08:45:54 PM
I was a bit late to the Shazam game, but I finally got it and it's great.  Now if only they had an upgrade that could identify songs from me humming them or poorly singing incorrect lyrics....

I also like it due to it keeping a list of the titles that I've done searches on.  It sure beats the small notecards that I kept in my wallet that I used for that purpose!

Mike

GaryV

Quote from: amroad17 on June 01, 2020, 10:46:24 PM
It is almost like you are playing "Name That Tune" with us.  "Can you name that tune in one note?"   :-D 

Right now, no.  :hmmm:

The old Patsy Cline song "Crazy"?  I wouldn't be surprised if someone made an updated cover of it.

1995hoo

Quote from: jakeroot on June 01, 2020, 10:44:37 PM
.... You basically just use it on those rare occasions where you're out and music is playing, such as at restaurants, stores, shopping centers, festivals, parks, watching a movie or TV show, driving in the car and you just want to note the song you're listening to (the car will tell you who you're listening to, but Shazam will actually save it to your phone), so on and so forth. ....

The only time I can think of recently when that happened was at a ballgame several years ago (2014 or 2015, I think) and I turned to my brother and said "any idea what song this is?" He knew the answer. I tune out most of the background music at the stores, etc. They simply seldom play any music I'm interested in hearing, probably because for the most part they understandably try to play very bland and neutral stuff to ensure they don't offend anyone.

One of the apps I found most useful for a good while was "Days From," a court deadline calculator (less useful now because Siri can tell you how many days is "x" days from a given date).

Maybe I'm missing some context here, but unless you're talking about time frames of a year plus, I can usually do that in my head.

That's nice that you're that confident in yourself, but when the consequences of missing a deadline are waiving something or defaulting, I'm not trusting myself to calculate it correctly in my head.

Or, as that Russian proverb President Reagan liked to quote says, "Trust, but verify."

bandit957

Quote from: jakeroot on June 01, 2020, 10:54:02 PM

"Crazy" by Booger Queen Davis? 1997, from her album Blame It on Me.

That wasn't it. I don't remember ever hearing this.

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on June 02, 2020, 08:24:34 AM
That's nice that you're that confident in yourself, but when the consequences of missing a deadline are waiving something or defaulting, I'm not trusting myself to calculate it correctly in my head.

Or, as that Russian proverb President Reagan liked to quote says, "Trust, but verify."

Well, for sure. I'm not going to double-check to make sure 30 days from now will indeed be July 2nd, for example, but anything over 90 days or so, and certainly a year plus, is a different story. (I guess I'm also used to these types of things being automatically calculated for the most part, so it never occurred to me that an app might be needed.)

1995hoo

Quote from: webny99 on June 02, 2020, 10:01:56 AM

Well, for sure. I'm not going to double-check to make sure 30 days from now will indeed be July 2nd, for example, but anything over 90 days or so, and certainly a year plus, is a different story. (I guess I'm also used to these types of things being automatically calculated for the most part, so it never occurred to me that an app might be needed.)

The other reason I like to have either an app or Siri do it for me is that it'll tell me the day of the week. Using the July 2 example, I just asked Siri when 30 days from that is and she said Saturday, August 1, 2020. That's relevant for me because if a deadline falls on a weekend or a federal holiday, it bumps to the following business day. I check these sorts of things when I'm preparing a draft order because I think it's sloppy to set a deadline on a weekend and I think it's obnoxious to set a deadline on the day after a holiday if I can avoid doing so.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on June 01, 2020, 05:30:04 PM
WAIT WAIT WAIT

There are people without Shazam on their phones? Is it because you guys haven't heard of it? Or because you don't listen to music? Or what?

There are hermits amongst us.

I didn't have Shazam on my phone.  In fact, because my model has limited storage, I install very few apps.

My co-worker has an app on her phone that identifies songs like that, but I had no idea what it was called.  I guess it's probably Shazam?   :hmm:

But I have little need for that kind of thing.  The times I listen to live radio are either (1) in the car, and most of the stations I listen to transmit the artist and title to my radio display, or (2) at work, where my co-worker chooses the station and knows almost all the songs.  Most music I listen to is either on YouTube, a CD I own, or a streaming service;  titles and artists are right there in front of me in all cases.

In the rare times that I don't know a song, want to know what it is, and don't have the info readily available, I just ask whoever is around me, and chances are good I'll get the answer that way.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Roadrunner75

Alright, how about we all just install Shazam on our phones if we don't have it already and then everyone will be happy and we can move on to another topic.  There's font types on signs that are waiting for an argument that we can't get to if we're still stuck in this loop.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on June 02, 2020, 02:56:47 PM
Alright, how about we all just install Shazam on our phones if we don't have it already

No, because...

Quote from: kphoger on June 02, 2020, 12:00:21 PM
I didn't have Shazam on my phone.  In fact, because my model has limited storage, I install very few apps.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: jakeroot on June 01, 2020, 10:44:37 PM
.... You basically just use it on those rare occasions where you're out and music is playing, such as at restaurants, stores, shopping centers, festivals, parks, watching a movie or TV show, driving in the car and you just want to note the song you're listening to (the car will tell you who you're listening to, but Shazam will actually save it to your phone), so on and so forth. ....

The only time I can think of recently when that happened was at a ballgame several years ago (2014 or 2015, I think) and I turned to my brother and said "any idea what song this is?" He knew the answer. I tune out most of the background music at the stores, etc. They simply seldom play any music I'm interested in hearing, probably because for the most part they understandably try to play very bland and neutral stuff to ensure they don't offend anyone.

Alright, very well. I don't want to force the application on you. It's just to someone like myself, who not only likes the music I already have in my library, but am always looking to grow my library as well, it's a helpful way to not only identify music, but catalogue it as well. And, if we're going to take Apple's decision to not only buy Shazam, but then implement the feature directly into iOS, as an indication of its popularity, I'm certainly not alone in appreciating the technology.

Speaking more generally to everyone else who doesn't have a music identity service and/or relies solely on the kindness of others: I think you're weird! But, we're road guys, and we're all a little weird in our own ways.

Roadrunner75

Quote from: kphoger on June 02, 2020, 03:00:21 PM
Quote from: Roadrunner75 on June 02, 2020, 02:56:47 PM
Alright, how about we all just install Shazam on our phones if we don't have it already
No, because...
Quote from: kphoger on June 02, 2020, 12:00:21 PM
Just delete the "phone" app to make up for the storage.  Nobody uses a phone as a phone anymore anyways.  It's there to send texts and surf the internet.

kphoger

Quote from: Roadrunner75 on June 02, 2020, 03:18:43 PM
Just delete the "phone" app to make up for the storage.  Nobody uses a phone as a phone anymore anyways.  It's there to send texts and surf the internet.

I've had 9 phone conversations on my cell phone so far today, with more to come.

Granted, it's an unusual day, with my car in the shop.  I've been talking to the mechanic, my wife, and a friend–all about the repairs.  No phone conversations yesterday (despite five attempts by scammers), one conversation the day before that.
Male pronouns, please.

jakeroot

On my phone, Shazam, with all of the tagged songs that I have (300 to 400 since I purchased my phone in Sep 2018), only takes up 38.46 MB. Other apps that I use regularly, such as Facebook, Snapchat, and my notes app, take up infinitely more space on my phone, but I also have over 400GB of storage space with my internal storage space and a micro SD card so everything's a drop in the bucket.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on June 02, 2020, 03:31:57 PM
On my phone, Shazam, with all of the tagged songs that I have (300 to 400 since I purchased my phone in Sep 2018), only takes up 38.46 MB. Other apps that I use regularly, such as Facebook, Snapchat, and my notes app, take up infinitely more space on my phone, but I also have over 400GB of storage space with my internal storage space and a micro SD card so everything's a drop in the bucket.

That is quite small.  Maybe I'll consider it.

For what it's worth, here are my phone stats:
16.00 GB = Total internal storage
12.30 GB = Total internal storage being used
  3.87 GB = Total internal storage being used by apps
  3.70 GB = Free internal storage
Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

Quote from: bandit957 on June 01, 2020, 05:03:02 PM
Also, around 1978-79, there was some Styx-like song where the first line was something about "the 21st century." I've never been able to identify it.

April Wine's cover of "21st Century Schizoid Man" from the album that had "I Like To Rock" on it?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.