News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

U. S. Metro Area Population "March Madness" quiz

Started by kurumi, March 31, 2019, 08:12:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kurumi

Based on their own data, the US Census is hosting a 64-city tournament: https://www.census.gov/dataviz/visualizations/057/

For each head-to-head "game" (such as Albany* vs. Buffalo) click on the metro area you think has the greater population. Each correct guess is one point; max is 63.

(I got 52; protip don't pick against Riverside early)

* famous for their steamed hams
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

noelbotevera

47...not terrible for a wee old youngster.

For state pops, I got a 55. Let's just say that I don't understand how Montana is smaller than Idaho.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

hotdogPi

Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Hot Rod Hootenanny

54 (on Metro Pop). Though I had a final four of NYC, LA, Philly, and Dallas.
---
57 (on state pop)
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Bruce

formulanone

Got a 55...why did Baltimore keep busting my bracket?  :-D

60 on the state pops, Florida had an easy run, Ohio was upset, Alabama didn't have a chance; West Virginia and Nebraska were the Cinderellas.

abefroman329

54.  If you don't know that the 4 largest metro populations are NYC, LA, Chicago, and Houston, and you don't know the answer, then err on the side of "which area has the most sprawl."

It would have helped if they'd specified with "Columbus" they were talking about; I assumed they meant Columbus, OH.

english si

Got 53 on metro areas, and 60 on states (which gives you 8 automatically).

Given it's April, and pre-draw 64-team knockout tournaments are not unique to College Basketball (eg major tennis tournaments), 'March Madness' seems odd to use as the generic term for these things.

Verlanka

webny99

Quote from: Verlanka on April 01, 2019, 09:39:40 AM
I had 53 on metros, and 58 on states.
Hey, that's exactly what I had as well.
For me, states was a lot easier than metros - I figured I could get 100%, but then Kansas/Connecticut threw me, and so did Louisiana/Oregon. I clicked through the states breezily, but the metros had me wringing my hands in frustration a few times.

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 01, 2019, 09:10:41 AM
54. If you don't know that the 4 largest metro populations are NYC, LA, Chicago, and Houston, and you don't know the answer, then err on the side of "which area has the most sprawl."
Yeah, definitely. Mentally add a few hundred k for anything in California and Texas, subtract a few hundred k for anything on the East Coast.

QuoteIt would have helped if they'd specified with "Columbus" they were talking about; I assumed they meant Columbus, OH.
What reason do you have to think they weren't talking about Columbus, OH?

abefroman329

Quote from: webny99 on April 01, 2019, 10:48:31 AMWhat reason do you have to think they weren't talking about Columbus, OH?
Because it was initially seeded with "Greenville," which I assumed was "Greenville, SC," and then I assumed "Columbus, GA," since that's the nearest Columbus I'm aware of to Greeneville, SC.

webny99

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 01, 2019, 10:55:05 AM
Quote from: webny99 on April 01, 2019, 10:48:31 AMWhat reason do you have to think they weren't talking about Columbus, OH?
Because it was initially seeded with "Greenville," which I assumed was "Greenville, SC," and then I assumed "Columbus, GA," since that's the nearest Columbus I'm aware of to Greeneville, SC.

Right... and Columbus, GA would have been a wrong assumption because they were talking about Columbus, OH.

paulthemapguy

I got 53...should have gotten 56 since I don't know how to disambiguate metro areas that are conjoined?  How can I be expected to know where the Riverside area ends and the Los Angeles area begins?  Same with San Francisco and San Jose.  And if San Jose and San Francisco are separate areas, why not separate Oakland, too?
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 391/425. Only 34 route markers remain!

US 89

I scored a 50 on metros and 59 on states. Not bad, IMO. Riverside threw me off big time on the metros; who knew it was so damn big.

Quote from: paulthemapguy on April 01, 2019, 11:31:42 AM
I got 53...should have gotten 56 since I don't know how to disambiguate metro areas that are conjoined?  How can I be expected to know where the Riverside area ends and the Los Angeles area begins?  Same with San Francisco and San Jose.  And if San Jose and San Francisco are separate areas, why not separate Oakland, too?

You have to memorize those county lines!  :sombrero:

doorknob60

I got 58 on both on my first try, definitely happy with that.

Eth

51 on metro areas, 58 on states. Biggest takeaway is that I apparently have no idea how big Baltimore is. On the states, I only missed one after the first round (Missouri vs. Arizona).

Hot Rod Hootenanny

You're permanently uninvited to any and all Ohio Roadmeets.   :whip: :ninja:
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

kevinb1994

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on April 01, 2019, 09:15:07 PM

You're permanently uninvited to any and all Ohio Roadmeets.   :whip: :ninja:

:-D  :-D

NWI_Irish96

I know one of the guys who was part of the group that developed this, and I got to try a beta version.  I got 58, though it really should have been 59 as I knew Washington is bigger than Boston and misclicked.  I missed Portland>Jacksonville, Las Vegas>San Jose, Baltimore>Pittsburgh, and Orlando>Columbus
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Rothman

I am getting mixed up due to metro area versus the cities themselves.  Philadelphia is the sixth largest city in the U.S., but Washington has a larger metro area, it seems, despite being a significantly smaller city.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Rothman

Quote from: Rothman on April 02, 2019, 01:57:30 PM
I am getting mixed up due to metro area versus the cities themselves.  Philadelphia is the sixth largest city in the U.S., but Washington has a larger metro area, it seems, despite being a significantly smaller city.
61 out of 63 on states; low 50s so far on metro areas.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

thspfc

I got 54/63 on metro areas and 59/63 on states.

vdeane

It certainly illustrates how metro areas aren't always obvious.  I was wondering how Bridgeport (which isn't even a control city) beat not only Albany but other places, only to find out at the end when mousing over it that "Bridgeport" actually meant "all of southwestern Connecticut" (a lot of which I would have thought would have been lumped in with New York).  Similarly, "Riverside" had me wondering.  I would have thought what they meant would be counted as a suburb of LA; when I think "Riverside", I think of Riverside, IA, because that will be the future hometown of Captain Kirk.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

inkyatari

I'm never wrong, just wildly inaccurate.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: abefroman329 on April 01, 2019, 09:10:41 AM
54.  If you don't know that the 4 largest metro populations are NYC, LA, Chicago, and Houston, and you don't know the answer, then err on the side of "which area has the most sprawl."

That's what I thought, but their data has Dallas over Houston.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.