News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

non-operational traffic light

Started by agentsteel53, November 10, 2010, 10:37:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

elsmere241

Quote from: Brian556 on November 10, 2010, 06:15:52 PM
This reminds me of the out-of service traffic signal in the Disney movie "Cars". It flashes yellow in all four directions. Really stupid. The bad part is that the person stupid enough to make this mistake is in the movie industry and is surely filthy rich.

In Italy that's the standard for lower-volume intersections at night.  All intersections with signals give one street STOP signs with the caveat "A semaforo spento o lampegiante" - literally "If signal out or flashing", though in NATO areas the English sign below will say "When traffic signal off or yellow blinker on."

Ga293

In Marietta, GA, they switch some of the lower volume traffic lights on Roswell Street (former SR 120) to flashing yellow, with flashing red for the side streets. However, I've been behind numerous people that will stop for these as if they are completely out. Same for lights that have gone to battery back up. When the lights go out completely, it's a free for all. Most people don't know how to approach a normal four way stop, let alone one with multiple lanes.

6a

Quote from: Bryant5493 on November 11, 2010, 08:47:57 AM
Quote from: realjd on November 11, 2010, 07:37:29 AM
West Lafayette, IN has foldable stop signs permanently mounted at most traffic lights, so all it takes is someone to drive around and unfold them in the event of a loss of power or damage to the signal.

I acutally was thinking about this, but didn't think this was actually a reality somewhere.

Anderson, SC has stop signs mounted on sawhorses they can deploy for just such an occasion, although I suppose the folding ones make more sense.

thenetwork

Here is a real-time clip of a "very interesting" malfunctioning traffic light in Cleveland, OH from earlier this week.  It was repaired soon after...

http://video-embed.cleveland.com/services/player/bcpid619326673001?bctid=681236547001

Bryant5493

^^

"Very interesting," to say the least.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Ace10

I was in Baton Rouge in September 2008 after Gustav hit. Lots of the lights around the university reverted to flashing yellow for the main streets, and flashing red for side streets. Yet, traffic treated it as a four way stop. I had a couple of arguments with people where they said Louisiana law read that any flashing signal should be treated as a four way stop during an emergency or natural disaster such as a hurricane. I argued that Louisiana should then program the lights to flash red in all directions. Lots of arguments and frustration when driving around town.

agentsteel53

Quote from: AstareGod on December 19, 2010, 11:06:01 PM
Louisiana law read that any flashing signal should be treated as a four way stop during an emergency or natural disaster such as a hurricane.

how would people know that?  I know, ignorance of the law is no excuse... but I would like to think of myself as a fairly well-informed motorist, and there is no way in Hell I would know that.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Ace10

Found a related thread: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3740.0

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 19, 2010, 11:40:16 PM
how would people know that?  I know, ignorance of the law is no excuse... but I would like to think of myself as a fairly well-informed motorist, and there is no way in Hell I would know that.

I'd like to think of myself as a fairly well-informed motorist too (if I could borrow your words). I came from Mississippi and flashing red meant stop and flashing yellow meant proceed with caution. I didn't hear of any law giving that a different meaning during a time of natural disaster - and when you live in a college town with students from potentially all over the country, you'll run into problems when lights flash non-standard.

In that other thread I linked to, a good argument was that following a natural disaster like that, traffic counts would be enormous, and lights programmed to failsafe to flashing red/yellow should actually be treated as a four way stop. (EDIT: That was actually you, agentsteel that made that statement!) My solution is to have those lights actually failsafe to all flashing red. State DOTs need to not be lazy and actually program their signals to do what they want them to do when they want them to do it.

agentsteel53

"four way stop in disaster times: it's not just a good idea, it's the law"?  would be really helpful if there were signs that explicitly stated that.

there are all kinds of quirky laws that are unique to a single state or two.  Apparently, a U-turn is illegal in some state or another, and I can't remember for the life of me which one... except that it's not Ohio, contrary to the urban legend which claims it is.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

roadfro

From the point of view of most traffic engineers (at least the ones I know), a signal should always default to all-way flashing red and treated as an all-way stop in any kind of trouble or conflict situation. Red/yellow flash shouldn't be used at all (or at least in very limited circumstances) in atypical conditions.

It's situations like this that make me wish the Uniform Vehicle Code was the traffic law in all states... then there'd be no ambiguity.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: AstareGod on December 19, 2010, 11:06:01 PM
I was in Baton Rouge in September 2008 after Gustav hit. Lots of the lights around the university reverted to flashing yellow for the main streets, and flashing red for side streets. Yet, traffic treated it as a four way stop. I had a couple of arguments with people where they said Louisiana law read that any flashing signal should be treated as a four way stop during an emergency or natural disaster such as a hurricane. I argued that Louisiana should then program the lights to flash red in all directions. Lots of arguments and frustration when driving around town.

Being in Baton Rouge for Katrina, Rita, and Gustov as well, all the media outlets were telling folks to treat any intersection with non-working traffic lights as 4-way stops. It was being pounded into everyone who was listening.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

realjd

Quote from: Adam Smith on December 21, 2010, 11:53:41 AM
Being in Baton Rouge for Katrina, Rita, and Gustov as well, all the media outlets were telling folks to treat any intersection with non-working traffic lights as 4-way stops. It was being pounded into everyone who was listening.

Non-working lights usually imply blank. Flashing yellow and red are a functioning light, even if it's not in normal phasing.

EDIT: I just checked the 2009 MUTCD. It specifically states that a flashing yellow means proceed with caution. If Louisiana has a different set of rules during emergencies, it's in violation of the MUTCD.

tchafe1978

Quote from: agentsteel53 on December 20, 2010, 12:45:58 AM
"four way stop in disaster times: it's not just a good idea, it's the law"?  would be really helpful if there were signs that explicitly stated that.

there are all kinds of quirky laws that are unique to a single state or two.  Apparently, a U-turn is illegal in some state or another, and I can't remember for the life of me which one... except that it's not Ohio, contrary to the urban legend which claims it is.

In Wisconsin it used to be illegal to do a U-turn at signalized intersections. Caused a lot of confusion for out of state drivers. It was recently changed, within the past year I believe, so that U-turns are now allowed at signalized intersections.

6a

It probably isn't a state law, but it is most definitely illegal on a city by city basis.

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: 6a on December 21, 2010, 03:47:40 PM
there are all kinds of quirky laws that are unique to a single state or two.  Apparently, a U-turn is illegal in some state or another, and I can't remember for the life of me which one... except that it's not Ohio, contrary to the urban legend which claims it is.
It probably isn't a state law, but it is most definitely illegal on a city by city basis.

I suppose someone saw this sign and the inverse was true for all other unmarked intersections.

On Sawmill Rd (NW Columbus) between Bethel and Case Rds.

Bickendan

Quote from: doofy103 on November 10, 2010, 08:03:01 PM
Quote from: froggie on November 10, 2010, 01:42:32 PM
Driving defensively also means you figure people will go when they shouldn't.  Which means you should probably slow down or stop anyway at the intersection.

But Bryant is right.  The law treats a dead/dark signal as a 4-way stop unless there's a law enforcement officer there directing traffic.

Not to change the subject..
Speaking of driving defensively, that is why I hate roundabouts b/c people never YIELD, even if there are two two-pole yield signs on both sides of the road. 
This is why at all Portland roundabouts and traffic circles, stop signs are used.

realjd

Quote from: Adam Smith on December 21, 2010, 10:46:18 PM
Quote from: 6a on December 21, 2010, 03:47:40 PM

I suppose someone saw this sign and the inverse was true for all other unmarked intersections.

On Sawmill Rd (NW Columbus) between Bethel and Case Rds.

Palm Bay, FL used to have a sign at one intersection that said "U TURN OK". Since U-Turns are legal in FL it was redundant, but I always took it as a compliment on my turning skills!

Dr Frankenstein

In Quebec this would mean "Mandatory U-Turn".

roadfro

Quote from: Bickendan on December 22, 2010, 05:45:08 AM
This is why at all Portland roundabouts and traffic circles, stop signs are used.

That's against the MUTCD as well, at least for roundabouts--requiring the full stop diminshes capacity and increases delay, especially when the roundabout is under favorable conditions.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

6a

Ugh.  Damn this ice to hell...I got so tired of behaving that I took a picture of it :pan:

Alex

Found a non-operational traffic light in Haleiwa, Hawaii two weeks ago:

It was posted on the Kamehameha Highway for an agricultural road / old alignment.

When GSV drove by it, it was still operational...

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: 6a on February 02, 2011, 04:03:52 PM
Ugh.  Damn this ice to hell...I got so tired of behaving that I took a picture of it :pan:

Indianola Ave. in Clintonville?

Mergingtraffic

Quote from: 6a on February 02, 2011, 04:03:52 PM

I like the old street light in the background.  I wonder how old it is??
I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

froggie

QuoteFound a non-operational traffic light in Haleiwa, Hawaii two weeks ago:

I've seen/photographed that same signal.  It's only used in season.

QuoteIt was posted on the Kamehameha Highway for an agricultural road / old alignment.

Not an old alignment.

Alex

Quote from: froggie on February 02, 2011, 10:41:37 PM
QuoteFound a non-operational traffic light in Haleiwa, Hawaii two weeks ago:

I've seen/photographed that same signal.  It's only used in season.

QuoteIt was posted on the Kamehameha Highway for an agricultural road / old alignment.

Not an old alignment.

Saw what looked like old pavement on GSV to the south of that, which made me think maybe it was an old alignment, but was not sure. There were two sets of signals on Maui that were for similar agricultural roads as seen to the north of the Haleiwa one, but they were set in flash mode when not used (one I saw a second time was activated).

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.