News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

This BGS actually shows the edges of ramps. Located just west of I-90's western terminus in Seattle.

Approaching the terminus of I-90 by SounderBruce, on Flickr

noelbotevera

Quote from: Bruce on July 17, 2015, 08:48:51 PM
This BGS actually shows the edges of ramps. Located just west of I-90's western terminus in Seattle.

This sign has gotten bashed by the ugly stick and needs desperate help.

1. I-90 and TO I-5 is not centered.
2. Spokane should be removed.
3. So is City Center via I-90 or 4th Ave. North?
4. Is 4th Ave. really that close?
5. There should be no line between Spokane and North.
6. The arrow for 4th Ave. South should be shorter.
7. Center line striping is pointless.
8. Is this an APL? Because it failed miserably at being one.
9. Patch over TO I-5 so that the I-90 East text and Spokane can be centered.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

(Recently hacked. A human operates this account now!)

Bruce

A sign with weird restrictions (on an overpass near the Port of Seattle):

Big John

I've seen that type of sign before, IMO the "weird" wording is "STANDING"

I believe it has the same meaning as in NYC: http://www.newyorksafetycouncil.com/articles/no-parking-vs-no-standing-vs-no-stopping-signs.aspx

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on July 17, 2015, 09:49:39 PM

In particular, the time (0300 to 0645) is rather odd. Most people aren't even commuting to work until 0500.

Stratuscaster

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 17, 2015, 09:04:26 PM

1. I-90 and TO I-5 is not centered. Actually, it is.
2. Spokane should be removed. Why? It's the destination city for I-90.
3. So is City Center via I-90 or 4th Ave. North? I would say 4th Ave North.
4. Is 4th Ave. really that close? Yes.
5. There should be no line between Spokane and North. Why not? Two separate things. Spokane is the control city for I-90 EAST. NORTH is the left-hand turn for 4th Avenue NORTH.
6. The arrow for 4th Ave. South should be shorter. I can see that, but rather it's the outline of the ramps that aren't MUTCD standard.
7. Center line striping is pointless. Not in this case, considering one is eastbound on 519 heading towards I-90. It clearly shows where you need to be for the 4th Street SPUI.
8. Is this an APL? Because it failed miserably at being one. It's not.
9. Patch over TO I-5 so that the I-90 East text and Spokane can be centered. Why? If you look at the actual road, you see that the next set of BGS' after 4th Street are for the exits for I-5. I-5 is a pretty important destination from here, I'd think.

SignGeek101

Please refer to this for "bashed by the ugly stick" signs.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3521.msg78212#msg78212

jeffandnicole

Quote from: odditude on July 17, 2015, 03:04:59 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 17, 2015, 02:19:00 PM
While this sign: https://goo.gl/maps/Bng2Y in itself isn't unusual, the location defining it as a 'residential' area is.  https://goo.gl/maps/BrfPu

Plus, it's a bit small and low for most truckers.
US 1 immediately passes by several residential complexes after going over NJ 29 - it's not inappropriate here.

No, US 1 immediately passes over a river after going over NJ 29. Want to prohibit truckers from using the Jake brake?  Simply say "Jake Brake Prohibited".   And make it larger. And place it at the height of truckers' windshields.

Big John

Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 18, 2015, 01:17:26 AM
Quote from: odditude on July 17, 2015, 03:04:59 PM
Quote from: jeffandnicole on July 17, 2015, 02:19:00 PM
While this sign: https://goo.gl/maps/Bng2Y in itself isn't unusual, the location defining it as a 'residential' area is.  https://goo.gl/maps/BrfPu

Plus, it's a bit small and low for most truckers.
US 1 immediately passes by several residential complexes after going over NJ 29 - it's not inappropriate here.

No, US 1 immediately passes over a river after going over NJ 29. Want to prohibit truckers from using the Jake brake?  Simply say "Jake Brake Prohibited".   And make it larger. And place it at the height of truckers' windshields.
The maker of Jake brakes has made it clear to highway departments not to mention that name on highway signs with threats of lawsuits of trademark infringement.  That it why you can see substitute writing on such signs, such as "No Compression Braking".  Though you still see some No Jake Brakes still around.

Zeffy

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

TEG24601

Quote from: Stratuscaster on July 17, 2015, 10:47:59 PM

1. I-90 and TO I-5 is not centered. Actually, it is.
2. Spokane should be removed. Why? It's the destination city for I-90.
3. So is City Center via I-90 or 4th Ave. North? I would say 4th Ave North.
4. Is 4th Ave. really that close? Yes.
5. There should be no line between Spokane and North. Why not? Two separate things. Spokane is the control city for I-90 EAST. NORTH is the left-hand turn for 4th Avenue NORTH.
6. The arrow for 4th Ave. South should be shorter. I can see that, but rather it's the outline of the ramps that aren't MUTCD standard.
7. Center line striping is pointless. Not in this case, considering one is eastbound on 519 heading towards I-90. It clearly shows where you need to be for the 4th Street SPUI.
8. Is this an APL? Because it failed miserably at being one. It's not.
9. Patch over TO I-5 so that the I-90 East text and Spokane can be centered. Why? If you look at the actual road, you see that the next set of BGS' after 4th Street are for the exits for I-5. I-5 is a pretty important destination from here, I'd think.

Of all the Signs that have been put in Seattle in the last 20 years, this is likely the most useful of them all.  It actually tells you what is going to happen at an upcoming Intersection, including what happens if you go straight.  There is a lot of information to share, and this does it well, IMO.
They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

Big John

theline

Quote from: jakeroot on July 17, 2015, 10:31:30 PM

In particular, the time (0300 to 0645) is rather odd. Most people aren't even commuting to work until 0500.

When I see time restrictions like that, it is usually to allow either street sweeping or garbage collection. Both those activities typically occur in the wee hours in many areas.

noelbotevera

Quote from: Zeffy on July 18, 2015, 01:00:15 PM
DO NOT ENTER...what exactly?
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.454411,-74.839229,3a,90y,285.38h,84.64t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s27ngni9Eub9RGEgAgWbhbg!2e0!7i3328!8i1664
"Hmm, so I tried driving on this field yesterday to get to my house...now they put up that sign! Great, now I can't save time trying to get to my house!"

Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

freebrickproductions

Huntsville, AL recently put up these signs on a street near my house. Never seen them before:
Police Station Sign by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Here's a slightly odd sign at Auburn University in Auburn, AL. It's mostly the font that is weird:
Cross Only At Crosswalks by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

Should be self explanatory. Anyone seen these anywhere else? I've only seen these in St. Clair County, AL (where this one was photographed).
School Bus Entering Ahead by freebrickproductions, on Flickr
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

AsphaltPlanet

I suppose this sign isn't really that interesting aside from the fact that it uses an older layout that hasn't been used for a couple of decades.  It will be replaced in the next couple of years due to an ongoing highway widening project:

AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

roadfro

I find this most interesting because it is using black text instead of the standard red text. I've seen instances of the "No parking, standing or stopping" language before. The time is odd though.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

roadfro

Quote from: freebrickproductions on July 18, 2015, 04:31:13 PM
Huntsville, AL recently put up these signs on a street near my house. Never seen them before:

Here's a slightly odd sign at Auburn University in Auburn, AL. It's mostly the font that is weird:
Cross Only At Crosswalks by freebrickproductions, on Flickr

The police sign surprised me, because I thought there was a standard symbol for this. I have seen a symbol sign in Reno, Nevada for the highway patrol. It looks like the seven-pointed badge.

The crosswalk one is weird, because there is no good explanation. There is an MUTCD standard sign with this exact text, so why the oddball font?
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

SignGeek101

Quote from: AsphaltPlanet on July 18, 2015, 08:56:31 PM
I suppose this sign isn't really that interesting aside from the fact that it uses an older layout that hasn't been used for a couple of decades.  It will be replaced in the next couple of years due to an ongoing highway widening project:

That guy is old (80's most likely). Not "best of", but definitely up there IMO.

kkt

Quote from: theline on July 18, 2015, 03:01:09 PM

When I see time restrictions like that, it is usually to allow either street sweeping or garbage collection. Both those activities typically occur in the wee hours in many areas.

Or they really meant PM.

mrsman

Quote from: kkt on July 19, 2015, 02:45:50 AM
Quote from: theline on July 18, 2015, 03:01:09 PM

Or they really meant PM.

I'm also aware of similar signs, overnight parking restrictions, to prevent people from sleeping in their cars in residential neighborhoods.  Sometimes there are permit exceptions. 

For instance, Beverly Hills, CA has a citywide restriction from 2 AM to 5 AM.

mrsman

Quote from: noelbotevera on July 18, 2015, 03:50:54 PM
https://www.google.com/maps/@40.454411,-74.839229,3a,90y,285.38h,84.64t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s27ngni9Eub9RGEgAgWbhbg!2e0!7i3328!8i1664
"Hmm, so I tried driving on this field yesterday to get to my house...now they put up that sign! Great, now I can't save time trying to get to my house!"
Enough people probably do that drive, so they put up a sign.  Prevent tire tracks on the grass.

mrsman

Quote from: SignGeek101 on July 17, 2015, 10:58:07 PM

Please refer to this for "bashed by the ugly stick" signs.

https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=3521.msg78212#msg78212

I actually like this sign, because it very clearly lays out where you need to be.  But if you want to recommend a sign for replacement, the best place for that will be the "Redesign This" thread in the Road Related Illustrations subforum.  I'll forward this post over there.

1995hoo

Quote from: mrsman on July 19, 2015, 07:41:45 AM
Enough people probably do that drive, so they put up a sign.  Prevent tire tracks on the grass.

I've seen this sort of thing in other places, though never with quite that much of a gap between roads, and I think that's exactly right. In a few cases, I've seen "Except Emergency Vehicles" underneath.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

noelbotevera

Quote from: 1995hoo on July 19, 2015, 09:02:14 AM
Quote from: mrsman on July 19, 2015, 07:41:45 AM

I've seen this sort of thing in other places, though never with quite that much of a gap between roads, and I think that's exactly right. In a few cases, I've seen "Except Emergency Vehicles" underneath.
The grass must remain pretty...except for the emergency vehicles. Must be one of those type of lawns no one touches.
Pleased to meet you
Hope you guessed my name

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.