News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Erroneous road signs

Started by FLRoads, January 20, 2009, 04:01:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Alex

Found this last week on our way out from Omaha:

This should be a Nebraska 370 shield, not an Iowa one.
There is a companion circle N-85 shield in the northbound direction too.

peterj920

Blue banner for Wis 55

peterj920

Quote from: US71 on April 04, 2016, 09:56:25 AM
Quote from: SD Mapman on April 04, 2016, 09:34:59 AM
Quote from: US71 on April 03, 2016, 09:25:24 PM
North 43 should be Missouri, South should be Arkansas.
Shouldn't they both be Arkansas at this junction?

Yes, ODOT seem to have their own way of doing things

I can understand why the signs are posted the way that they are.  Heading north on OK 20, State Highway 43 heads into Missouri without any Arkansas destinations, which is most likely why the sign has a Missouri shield, despite straddling the Oklahoma/Arkansas border for about 5 miles.  Heading south into Oklahoma, State Highway 43 travels into Arkansas. 

cl94

Everyone's favorite New York example. Signed better than some touring routes, NY 990V is infamously posted. In fact, it is the legal and common name for the road that carries it. GSV coverage of the area is old and spotty at best, but I drove through earlier today and noticed that most of the reassurance shields had direction banners (East/West). Schoharie County posted a sign along CR 3 (what the highway is after state maintenance ends) facing the end of Greene CR 20 pointing to "NY 990V", "NY 30", and Conesville. This sign went up since GSV went through. Region 9 did do some good by eliminating most of the NY 962J signage, though.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

SD Mapman

Quote from: cl94 on April 08, 2016, 06:52:14 PM
Everyone's favorite New York example. Signed better than some touring routes, NY 990V is infamously posted. In fact, it is the legal and common name for the road that carries it. GSV coverage of the area is old and spotty at best, but I drove through earlier today and noticed that most of the reassurance shields had direction banners (East/West). Schoharie County posted a sign along CR 3 (what the highway is after state maintenance ends) facing the end of Greene CR 20 pointing to "NY 990V", "NY 30", and Conesville. This sign went up since GSV went through. Region 9 did do some good by eliminating most of the NY 962J signage, though.
961F is still up too, looks like.
The traveler sees what he sees, the tourist sees what he has come to see. - G.K. Chesterton

Mergingtraffic

On page 152 how about an erroneous RI-152 sign?  RI-152 doesn't even come down as far as where this exit is. I believe at one time it was supposed to.

I only take pics of good looking signs. Long live non-reflective button copy!
MergingTraffic https://www.flickr.com/photos/98731835@N05/

PHLBOS

In its own, NY seems to have downgraded US 202 to NY 202 (but not US 6) in a couple places:

Here and here.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Rothman

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 11, 2016, 11:41:41 AM
In its own, NY seems to have downgraded US 202 to NY 202 (but not US 6) in a couple places:

Here and here.

At the recent conference that Vdeane and I attended, certain NYSDOT regional representatives (Region 8, I believe) stated that there was the perception -- albeit incorrect -- that there was a mandate to stop signing US routes in NY as US routes and to give them state shields. 

That was a little eye opening, since I always attributed it to sloppy specs or contractors (i.e., "The sign's got a number, what difference does the shape make?") rather than misunderstandings within NYSDOT.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

PHLBOS

Quote from: Rothman on April 11, 2016, 12:30:52 PM

Here and here.

At the recent conference that Vdeane and I attended, certain NYSDOT regional representatives (Region 8, I believe) stated that there was the perception -- albeit incorrect -- that there was a mandate to stop signing US routes in NY as US routes and to give them state shields. 

That was a little eye opening, since I always attributed it to sloppy specs or contractors (i.e., "The sign's got a number, what difference does the shape make?") rather than misunderstandings within NYSDOT.
One problem (of many) with that notion vs. the above-examples is that NYSDOT doesn't seem to have any problems with posting US 6 shields.
GPS does NOT equal GOD

Rothman

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 11, 2016, 12:44:22 PM

Here and here.

One problem (of many) with that notion vs. the above-examples is that NYSDOT Region 8 doesn't seem to have any problems with posting US 6 shields.

Probably depends upon the particular project manager as well.

Mapmikey

Quote from: PHLBOS on April 11, 2016, 12:44:22 PM
One problem (of many) with that notion vs. the above-examples is that NYSDOT doesn't seem to have any problems with posting US 6 shields.

There's always this from 2013:

Mike

cl94

Region 1 isn't much better. This one is in Saratoga, with the NY 9 shield right next to a US 9 shield.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

bzakharin

Here and here.

Does the NYSDOT actually have the power to do something like that? Aren't there federal rules about how US and Interstate routes are supposed to be signed? Didn't Florida get into trouble by signing US routes with colored shields?

kphoger

If we removed all the "right number, wrong shield blank" posts from this thread, how short would it be?  These signs correctly convey the number of the highway they point to.  To me, they're more correct than incorrect.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

cl94

Quote from: kphoger on April 11, 2016, 02:08:09 PM
If we removed all the "right number, wrong shield blank" posts from this thread, how short would it be?  These signs correctly convey the number of the highway they point to.  To me, they're more correct than incorrect.

Of course, in New York, numbers are not unique, so using the wrong shield blank could cause issues, especially with the number of suffixed routes.

jbnv

Good luck using that logic in Texas.
🆕 Louisiana Highways on Twitter | Yes, I like Clearview. Deal with it. | Redos: US | La. | Route Challenge

machias

Here and here.

I'm not surprised by that, as one of the state contractors apparently just assumed that anything designed in Series D was to be Clearview, that's how a lot of Clearview signs popped up on NYSDOT highways.

steviep24

Eth

After all, the number of the highway is all that matters. (NOTE: example given is not actually incorrect.)

hbelkins

How in the world would they come to that conclusion? Other than sheer stupidity?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

cl94

Quote from: hbelkins on April 11, 2016, 10:51:17 PM

How in the world would they come to that conclusion? Other than sheer stupidity?

With the crappy signage and marking jobs I've seen in R8, I can't say I'm surprised.

Rothman

Quote from: hbelkins on April 11, 2016, 10:51:17 PM

At the conference, the presenter was just as confused as we all are when they brought up this idea in Q&A.  So, no one knows how they came up with the idea and they themselves just said that they heard that the order came down from management...which it didn't.

1995hoo

Stanley Roberts just tweeted this. It's near UCSF.

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.