News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

2021 Supply Disruptions

Started by ZLoth, April 13, 2021, 03:31:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CoreySamson

I noticed a couple days ago local car dealerships' lots have started to look super bare; so much so that I thought they were going out of business. But they weren't; a bare Nissan dealership had the brand-new 2022 Frontiers for sale.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

abefroman329

Quote from: CoreySamson on October 05, 2021, 11:01:57 AM
I noticed a couple days ago local car dealerships' lots have started to look super bare; so much so that I thought they were going out of business. But they weren't; a bare Nissan dealership had the brand-new 2022 Frontiers for sale.
Yeah, I'm torn between being happy that we bought our new car when we did and kicking myself in the butt for not waiting to trade in our old car, when we presumably would've gotten more money for it.

hbelkins

I just wonder if we may be approaching a "skip" in car model years? Once the computer chip shortage is resolved and all the new vehicles awaiting chips are equipped and those vehicles get to the dealer, there's going to be a glut of product. Will automakers come out with a 2023 model if they have a bunch of 2022 and 2021 vehicles in their unsold inventories?

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

abefroman329

My local Hyundai dealership doesn't have any 2021 models of any car left, and if there's a glut of 2022 models in a year, then they'll probably just do fire sales to clear out their inventory.

LM117

“I don’t know whether to wind my ass or scratch my watch!” - Jim Cornette

LM117

Quote from: vdeane on October 01, 2021, 08:54:25 PM
I feel like people are starting to stock up on groceries.  It feels like the shelves are thinner and there are more products unavailable, and there were definitely a fair number more people than normal.

Same here. A manager at a Food Lion here said that they couldn't order anything anymore, and that they had to just take whatever the trucks bring them.

hbelkins

I'm starting to notice more out-of-stock grocery items, and the price of meat has gone up again.

Bruce

Steel shortages mean that Spokane's first bus rapid transit line will launch in 2023 instead of 2022:

https://twitter.com/spokanetransit/status/1445878811980034049

Meanwhile, there's a shortage in trolleybus wire that is preventing Seattle from revising some routes to serve our new light rail stations at the front door, forcing a two-block walk for transfers.

catch22

Quote from: hbelkins on October 06, 2021, 02:07:01 PM
I'm starting to notice more out-of-stock grocery items, and the price of meat has gone up again.

We've been out of town for the last couple of weeks, so it had been a while since we'd been in our neighborhood Kroger (western Detroit suburbs) until Tuesday.

The difference in shelf stock was striking.  Low or minimal flour, sugar, rice, bread, ramen, pasta, juice, bottled water, or cereals.  Oddly enough, the paper products aisle was fully stocked.

US71

Casey's General Store has run out of Medium  & Large fountain cups (again), so they are pushing x-Large cups.  Anyone opting for the smaller  "slushee" cups  is still charged for a slushee., no exceptions for normal fountain use.
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

abefroman329

Quote from: US71 on October 07, 2021, 10:26:37 AM
Casey's General Store has run out of Medium  & Large fountain cups (again), so they are pushing x-Large cups.  Anyone opting for the smaller  "slushee" cups  is still charged for a slushee., no exceptions for normal fountain use.

Seriously?  That's Casey's problem, not the customer's.

Scott5114

Braum's is also out of branded cups, but they've just been using generic Coca-Cola-branded ones that they probably got from the local Coke bottler.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

hbelkins

My weekly trip to the Dollar General to use the $5 off $25 coupon and a trip to the grocery store yielded these observations:

1.) Paper product shortages are becoming a thing again, mostly for paper towels.
2.) Laundry detergent and associated items (fabric softener sheets, liquid fabric softener, etc.) are also in short supply. Lots of empty shelves.
3.) The price of meat is through the roof. $4.19 a pound for 73/27 ground beef; $6-something for ground chuck. Prices on just about every grocery item have gone up noticeably. I feel like we're reliving my high school years economically.

snowc

Quote from: hbelkins on October 10, 2021, 07:59:36 PM
My weekly trip to the Dollar General to use the $5 off $25 coupon and a trip to the grocery store yielded these observations:

1.) Paper product shortages are becoming a thing again, mostly for paper towels.
2.) Laundry detergent and associated items (fabric softener sheets, liquid fabric softener, etc.) are also in short supply. Lots of empty shelves.
3.) The price of meat is through the roof. $4.19 a pound for 73/27 ground beef; $6-something for ground chuck. Prices on just about every grocery item have gone up noticeably. I feel like we're reliving my high school years economically.
wait a minute... dolgen has ground chuck?  :wow:

hotdogPi

Quote from: snowc on October 11, 2021, 09:15:01 AM

Two stores. One was Dollar General; the other was an actual grocery store.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

hbelkins

Quote from: 1 on October 11, 2021, 09:17:01 AM
Quote from: snowc on October 11, 2021, 09:15:01 AM

Two stores. One was Dollar General; the other was an actual grocery store.

True, but I have actually seen tubes of "hamburger meat" in the cooler section of Dollar General. They carry a lot of staples like bread, milk and cold cuts these days.

Pink Jazz

Seems like for TP and PT, the brands that sell out are the private label store brands and the premium brands (Charmin, Quilted Northern, and Cottonelle for TP, and Bounty, Brawny, and Viva for PT), leaving behind mostly the mid-tier brands (Charmin Essentials, Angel Soft, and Scott for TP, and Bounty Essentials, Sparkle, and Scott for PT).

TheHighwayMan3561

self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

CtrlAltDel

Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Dirt Roads

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on October 13, 2021, 12:31:44 PM
Port of LA will go to 24/7 to try to work through some of the disruptions.

https://www.npr.org/2021/10/13/1045501424/the-white-house-announces-steps-to-try-to-ease-backlogs-at-u-s-ports?utm_campaign=npr&utm_term=nprnews&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_medium=social&fbclid=IwAR1CgjDtNvsZgtKO8gb473DQDYoln8_ISekjMssr06xu6sClRbnmCU6-Uro

Wow!  Never thought I would ever see them do that.

When I worked at the adjacent Port of Long Beach, there was a lot of pressure on both POLA and POLB (nifty abbreviations) to switch to 24/7 to relieve the railroad congestion (during rush hour, particularly in the morning).  The stevedores get paid significantly more for night/weekend/holiday work.  The unwillingness of either port to adjust their schedules ended up requiring that most of the railroad crossings be grade separated, hence the Alameda Corridor. 

LM117

abefroman329

hbelkins

It may have been in a story about or related to the Kellogg's strike, but I recently read a list of items that were going to experience production cuts so manufacturers could supply more of their most popular items. One of the food items for which shortages were anticipated was Sour Patch Kids. I think I also read that Swedish Fish might come into short supply.

I'm not one of those who will boycott an item because a company is on strike, so I guess it helps that I'm not a cereal snob. Corn flakes are corn flakes, and crisped rice is crisped rice. Store brands are just as good as the name brands. The only major exception is Cheerios. The Kroger store brand is comparable to the name brand, but the Walmart brand isn't.

abefroman329

Quote from: hbelkins on October 14, 2021, 11:45:34 AMCorn flakes are corn flakes, and crisped rice is crisped rice. Store brands are just as good as the name brands. The only major exception is Cheerios. The Kroger store brand is comparable to the name brand, but the Walmart brand isn't.

Agreed re cornflakes/Rice Krispies, although Rice Krispies in England are weird and don't taste as good.  I just tried what was marketed as knockoff Crispix (Essential Everyday Corn and Rice Hexagons, no joke), but really isn't at all.  Still good, just not even close to Crispix.

I don't think I've ever tried the Malt-O-Meal line of cereals.  Definitely not as an adult.

RobbieL2415

The past two weeks I've been able to get Froot Loops at Stop & Shop, so they keep giving me the store brand. Must have something to do with the Kellog Company strike.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.