News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/ywy8yunfMqmYKFoQA

White TOLL plate and no SOUTH plate for I-95 here either as I-295 defaults strictly into SB I-95 only.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

JayhawkCO

Just saw this one this weekend when I was back in KC.  Had to look at it twice to figure out what was wrong with it.

Chris

Lukeisroads

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 05, 2021, 01:59:32 PM
Quote from: Bruce on September 05, 2021, 02:12:24 AM
And also a construction speed zone:

The City of Norman owns one of those, and it turns up in random places across the city. Once, it was even in my yard for a day or two.

I kind of wonder if it has some sort of data-recorder function and it's actually being used to do speed studies.
did somebody say construction zone? you can kinda see it it says SLOW DOWN
https://www.google.com/maps/@35.3281151,-119.038839,3a,47.5y,349.15h,89.55t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1su7YSeWIOJp5sF2Bk1Dr_FQ!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

roadman65

https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/51422925663_e503402886_c.jpg

I like how Caltrans keeps freeway signs standard.  They have the guides with control cities only, as the Freeway Entrance signs provide orientation.

Sheryl Crowe

LilianaUwU

On the topic of the movable speed limit radars: I too had one basically on my yard, though no matter how long I stayed there and watched traffic, it didn't display any speed.

(Original size)
"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

thenetwork

Quote from: LilianaUwU on September 07, 2021, 06:24:18 PM
On the topic of the movable speed limit radars: I too had one basically on my yard, though no matter how long I stayed there and watched traffic, it didn't display any speed.

(Original size)

I always wondered if those devices can specifically can pick up the speed of baseball pitches, the rhe radar guns at county fairs.

You could really mess up the speed stats on a residential street if you had somebody who can throw some heat for a while...

hotdogPi

Quote from: thenetwork on September 08, 2021, 03:16:22 PM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on September 07, 2021, 06:24:18 PM

(Original size)

I always wondered if those devices can specifically can pick up the speed of baseball pitches, the rhe radar guns at county fairs.

You could really mess up the speed stats on a residential street if you had somebody who can throw some heat for a while...

The one nearest me alternates between being off and showing numbers below 20 (including 7 once) when it doesn't see a car. I'm walking at about 4 mph, so it's not tracking me.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Scott5114

Quote from: thenetwork on September 08, 2021, 03:16:22 PM

They made us watch some stupid movie in high school where some old retired baseball guy throws baseballs past one of those signs and can only get it up to 15. He leaves in disgust, thinking he sucks at baseball, and then the viewers see that the sign is actually malfunctioning, and it was supposed to be displaying 75 the entire time. Even as a high schooler I felt that was kind of contrived.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadman65

https://goo.gl/maps/J6YpfdhCVYtx7AMB7
How Massachusetts is so inconsistent at guide signs. WB MA 2A is text and EB is not.

Ditto in Northampton further south at MA 9 at US 5.

Sheryl Crowe

LilianaUwU

Quote from: roadman65 on September 08, 2021, 07:41:47 PM
How Massachusetts is so inconsistent at guide signs. WB MA 2A is text and EB is not.

Also, why is the sign over the sidewalk?! Maybe that's why they couldn't fit the shield.
—Mr. Thwomp

machias

Quote from: LilianaUwU on September 08, 2021, 09:24:45 PM

Also, why is the sign over the sidewalk?! Maybe that's why they couldn't fit the shield.

That was style was common when I lived in Massachusetts in the late 1980s and early 90s, except the top sign would just have the number the size of the route marker shown, and then the smaller bottom sign would be the exact same format there.

I have a hunch someone just "replaced in kind".

Bruce

"Dismount and Lead Horses" sign on WA-224 just west of Richland

ClassicHasClass

It's almost a U2 song in a sign.

"Who's gonna dismount your lead horses? Who's gonna drown in your blue sea?"

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: roadman65 on September 07, 2021, 09:03:25 AM

White TOLL plate and no SOUTH plate for I-95 here either as I-295 defaults strictly into SB I-95 only.

Looks like the pavement marking also said "West I-295," but they tried to tar over the word "west".

Occidental Tourist

Quote from: ErmineNotyours on September 09, 2021, 11:34:50 PM
Quote from: roadman65 on September 07, 2021, 09:03:25 AM

Looks like the pavement marking also said "West I-295," but they tried to tar over the word "west".

It looks like the shoulder was used as a third lane previously, probably during an earlier phase of the interchange reconstruction.  Left lane read 295 WEST, middle lane read 295 SOUTH, and right lane read 29 NORTH.  When they striped back down to two lanes, they bead blasted the markings off the right lane entirely, the shield, the SOUTH and 5 off the middle lane, and smudged out the WEST in the first lane.

Further on:

From the other direction:

LilianaUwU

—Mr. Thwomp

Bruce

A custom little sign from this 1982 newspaper article on people stealing waste wood from construction sites:

GenExpwy

I came across an article about life on Diego Garcia (British Indian Ocean Territory, where the US has a military base). One of the photos shows a highway route marker, circa 1977.

roadfro

Quote from: machias on September 09, 2021, 12:19:23 AM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on September 08, 2021, 09:24:45 PM

That was style was common when I lived in Massachusetts in the late 1980s and early 90s, except the top sign would just have the number the size of the route marker shown, and then the smaller bottom sign would be the exact same format there.

I have a hunch someone just "replaced in kind".

Looks to me that if the lower sign was designed to spec like the upper sign, it wouldn't have left enough clear space over the sidewalk per MUTCD guidelines/standards. Conversely, nothing in the MUTCD says you have to use a shield for route guidance. (Although it all could have been fixed with mounting the first sign higher to begin with.)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Bruce

A few Interstates in Washington were designated as "green highways" in 2007, but finding signage for them is a bit hard.

This example was one I spotted on I-82 eastbound climbing out of Ellensburg (a few miles from its terminus). Kind of a random spot for it.

LilianaUwU

—Mr. Thwomp

Occidental Tourist

odditude

Quote from: Occidental Tourist on September 13, 2021, 01:58:54 PM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on September 10, 2021, 02:37:55 AM
Quote from: Occidental Tourist on September 10, 2021, 02:15:22 AM
From the other direction:

Is it just me, or does it say Princeton?

"Princeto"  to the nth power.

i think the photo's distorted; the upper-right corner of the sign panel is similarly shifted.

roadman65

Sheryl Crowe

plain

A white on green EMERGENCY PULL OFF sign smdh come on VDOT

moto g(7) optimo (XT1952DL)

Newark born, Richmond bred

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.