News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Takumi

Quote from: SignGeek101 on March 09, 2016, 06:58:49 PM
Also, I believe it should be 'WEST' and 'EAST' not 'NORTH' and 'SOUTH'.
That's one of the errors. The other is that VA 145 does not continue to the left.
Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

KEVIN_224

I wish more Connecticut town line signs would look like this! It's looking south, roughly where the towns of Berlin, Newington and Rocky Hill all meet. Berlin is highlighted on the map after the picture. The black "dot" is about where I was standing.

AsphaltPlanet

Odd phrasing (by Ontario standards at least) for this ramp to the 401
AsphaltPlanet.ca  Youtube -- Opinions expressed reflect the viewpoints of others.

Zeffy

Port Jervis, NY:
https://www.google.com/maps/@41.3581705,-74.6831238,3a,44.6y,189.76h,89.39t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1s_VIgPTc4IqfQsu_T5ZikXw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

This looks like it was meant for a Garden State Parkway shield, judging by the color scheme and overall design of the arrow...

Also, I think JCT signs should only be used when you're at the actual junction of the road in question. I think a TO would've worked better here.

Life would be boring if we didn't take an offramp every once in a while

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: KEVIN_224 on March 10, 2016, 06:10:44 PM
I wish more Connecticut town line signs would look like this!

Windsor's fancy signs aren't too bad: https://goo.gl/maps/bFdNXuVeU6m

A few years ago Windsor spent a bit of money to make sure the town line was marked on every street/road that crosses the line.  The number of signs needed lead to this simpler signage: https://goo.gl/maps/dzCHen78rC92

roadman65

This sign is very odd with the different color place cards as well as the misaligned arrow.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Zeffy

A weird combination of a weather geek, roadgeek, car enthusiast and furry mixed with many anxiety related disorders

Ian

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

cl94

Let's [url-https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0034802,-78.9450192,3a,37.2y,303.69h,92.25t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sTDTysEglMW_NuB6-Ru423g!2e0!7i13312!8i6656]combine the distance sign with ugly[/url] and you've got this.
Please note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of my employer or any of its partner agencies.

Travel Mapping (updated weekly)

D-Dey65

Big John

Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 15, 2016, 09:50:38 AM
Somebody on Wikipedia claims this is a yellow stop sign:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Yellow_stop_sign_in_Cedar_Mill,_Oregon.jpg

I say it's just a severely faded red one.

Agree.  The old yellow stop signs had black lettering and border. Plus you can see some remnants of red in the sign.

theline

Quote from: Big John on March 15, 2016, 09:58:20 AM
Quote from: D-Dey65 on March 15, 2016, 09:50:38 AM
Somebody on Wikipedia claims this is a yellow stop sign:

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Yellow_stop_sign_in_Cedar_Mill,_Oregon.jpg

I say it's just a severely faded red one.

Agree.  The old yellow stop signs had black lettering and border. Plus you can see some remnants of red in the sign.

I agree as well. I'm old enough to remember yellow stop signs. They had black borders and every one I saw was embossed, with the border and "STOP" raised above the surface.

SignGeek101

I've never seen this 'Narrow Bridge' symbol before:

https://goo.gl/maps/M8njASHaX6q

Didn't see it in the manual.

machias

Here's an interesting assembly on NY Route 46 near Pine Bush in Madison County, N.Y.  Installed within the last five years, it replaces a similar assembly that stood there since the late 1980s.

Zeffy

Alex

tckma

Maryland just put up a bunch of new signs along MD-97 and MD-140 in Carroll County which read: "STATE LAW: STOP FOR SCHOOL BUS WHEN RED LIGHT FLASH"(sic.)

Um, don't you mean "red lightS?"

Oh, about two years ago, I also caught SHA replacing a few reassurance markers on MD-140 with incorrect MD-832 markers.  I sent in an e-mail through their website, and I did not get a response, though the incorrect signs were quietly replaced by the next day.

D-Dey65

Quote from: theline on March 15, 2016, 01:22:01 PM
I agree as well. I'm old enough to remember yellow stop signs. They had black borders and every one I saw was embossed, with the border and "STOP" raised above the surface.
I'm old enough to remember them too. I corrected the image description, but I'm debating whether I should send a message to the photographer, or the bot that uploaded it, hoping the creator would get the message.

Ian

I noticed DelDOT is installing new HAWK signals along DE 1 in Rehoboth Beach when I was down there this afternoon. I also noticed this unique warning sign approaching the new signals, which I haven't seen before.

UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

busman_49

Quote from: Ian on March 17, 2016, 06:58:14 PM
I noticed DelDOT is installing new HAWK signals along DE 1 in Rehoboth Beach when I was down there this afternoon. I also noticed this unique warning sign approaching the new signals, which I haven't seen before.

Wow, someone has some money to burn.  What's wrong with the standard pedestrian crossing sign, maybe with an AHEAD plaque below?

vdeane

Uncontrolled pedestrian crossings aren't safe on four lane roads with more than a certain amount of traffic.  That leaves the choice at regular traffic light, flashing beacons (experimental as of 2009 MUTCD; will likely be official in the next one), and a HAWK signal.  The flashing beacons probably work better at slower speeds since they're at ground level, leaving just the regular signal and the HAWK.  Of those, the HAWK at least allows traffic to proceed after a stop, isn't constantly using electricity, and would be less likely to lure traffic into a false sense of security of assuming it's always green (albeit many people don't know what to do with them, and the wigwag pattern invites confusion at rail crossings).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: busman_49 on March 18, 2016, 10:21:59 AM

Wow, someone has some money to burn.  What's wrong with the standard pedestrian crossing sign, maybe with an AHEAD plaque below?

There's a reason why they charge $4 each direction on I-95.  And it's not because all that money stays on I-95.

busman_49

Quote from: vdeane on March 18, 2016, 12:39:12 PM
Uncontrolled pedestrian crossings aren't safe on four lane roads with more than a certain amount of traffic.  That leaves the choice at regular traffic light, flashing beacons (experimental as of 2009 MUTCD; will likely be official in the next one), and a HAWK signal.  The flashing beacons probably work better at slower speeds since they're at ground level, leaving just the regular signal and the HAWK.  Of those, the HAWK at least allows traffic to proceed after a stop, isn't constantly using electricity, and would be less likely to lure traffic into a false sense of security of assuming it's always green (albeit many people don't know what to do with them, and the wigwag pattern invites confusion at rail crossings).

I guess what I MEANT to say is, why this sign?  I'm okay with the HAWK signals there (not really, I think they're a dumb idea, but I digress), but there HAS to be a better way to sign this thing...

ekt8750

Quote from: jeffandnicole on March 18, 2016, 01:09:52 PM
Quote from: busman_49 on March 18, 2016, 10:21:59 AM

There's a reason why they charge $4 each direction on I-95.  And it's not because all that money stays on I-95.

And I shunpike it every time I have to cross that border.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.