News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

The BEST Transportation Agency in the U.S. (2021 Edition)

Started by JoePCool14, April 26, 2021, 10:13:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprjus4

FrCorySticha

Quote from: SkyPesos on May 30, 2021, 11:46:57 PM
I'll call that US 14/103 instead if that's how they'll write it out. Pretty much the same number.
Personally I prefer US 0.136.

On that same idea, US 1-9 in NJ should really be US -8.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: ran4sh on May 31, 2021, 01:22:37 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 30, 2021, 12:38:28 PM
PTC is the worst simply because they couldn't complete I-95 until 2018.

I-295 to I-195 was signed as "TO I-95" in the northbound direction for a long time before the new interchange and re-routing (thanks to NJDOT).  But, IIRC, there never was any signage in the southbound direction on the Turnpike telling anyone to take Exit 7A for I-95 to Philly (thanks to the NJTA).

Not necessarily a bad thing. Taking 7A to 295 North to 95 South wasn't a sensible route to Philly.

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on May 30, 2021, 12:38:28 PM
Except that it was New Jersey's fault that PTC needed to construct an interchange for completion of I-95.

The PTC often can't connect itself with other interstates in its own state. The PTC/95 missing interchange wasn't a unique situation to them. Let's be thankful it was done right, compared to some of the original designs they considered, many of which were 1 lane ramps into a traditional Interchange toll plaza.

machias

Having driven in all 50 states, my top 3 are: Arizona, Wisconsin, Michigan (in that order).  My bottom 3 are: Hawaii, Oklahoma, New Mexico.

Bickendan

Quote from: Bruce on May 31, 2021, 06:23:40 PM
Quote from: Bickendan on May 28, 2021, 11:36:39 PM
WSDOT as a Tier 1?
Uh, I'd need some very good justification for such a high appraisal for a DOT that allowed this to be installed:
https://goo.gl/maps/BBbx7TT4iaMY4xMD9

I was going to make a joke about ODOT being a top-notch agency, but signage wise (not counting the lack of trailblazer or reassurance shields on many of the post-2002 Routes), ODOT's signs look better than WSDOT's.

Now, as for maintencance, construction, sure, credit where it's due. It feels like WSDOT moves forward faster and better than ODOT does with new facilities as well as maintaining them (though local politics on my side of the Columbia doesn't help...).

WSDOT's SW Division runs different to the rest of the state, from the looks of their signage oddities.

Overall, I'd put WSDOT in the B tier at best due to their chronic mishandling of urban state routes (often overriding local wishes to not have a deathtrap in the middle of cities).
That's fair, although I'm not a fan of the general WSDOT internal exit tab. I much prefer ODOT's centered external, or even CalTran's style for internal (yeah, I realize that's not a popular take lol).

on_wisconsin

Sticking with my original assessment:
Quote from: on_wisconsin on May 19, 2014, 01:15:16 PM
ISTHA.
Although, I would throw VDOT's NoVA district near the top as well.
"Speed does not kill, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you" - Jeremy Clarkson

ztonyg

Living in Arizona I'd say that the state is mostly Tier 1.

However, there are a number of signage goofs around the state such as:

https://goo.gl/maps/GsEDuLbqQW3v4ohbA

or

https://goo.gl/maps/vVzPsdSeVa2se2LcA

or a whole stretch of signs that look like:

https://goo.gl/maps/2FnkwxiE5FLiX9sz8

Plus the rubberized asphalt overlay on a lot of Phoenix area roads is in pretty horrible shape at this point with lots of patching, worn pavement, and potholes.

ADOT in general puts out a decent quality highway but it's not perfect. In my mind Northern Virginia (VDOT) is as close to perfection as I've ever seen.

JoePCool14

Quote from: ztonyg on June 02, 2021, 05:29:21 PM

or

Plus the rubberized asphalt overlay on a lot of Phoenix area roads is in pretty horrible shape at this point with lots of patching, worn pavement, and potholes.

ADOT in general puts out a decent quality highway but it's not perfect. In my mind Northern Virginia (VDOT) is as close to perfection as I've ever seen.

I like how you said that ADOT is Tier 1 but then proceeded to say mostly negative things about them.  :clap:

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

ztonyg

Quote from: JoePCool14 on June 02, 2021, 07:38:14 PM
Quote from: ztonyg on June 02, 2021, 05:29:21 PM

or

I like how you said that ADOT is Tier 1 but then proceeded to say mostly negative things about them.  :clap:

I meant to say that I'm not sure that ADOT is Tier 1.

A lot of that status is based upon the freeway system built in the Phoenix area post 1985.

I-17 from it's start at the I-10 split until at least Loop 101 is on my top 10 list for ugliest freeways in any urban area. Especially the portion south of I-10 (that really should simply be US 60 and not I-17 but I'll save that rant for some other time).

https://goo.gl/maps/6LBrKu4Kx9aDj4Gy5'

AZ 51 south of Glendale Ave is a "fun" drive (granted it wasn't originally designed and built by ADOT) but still the ups, downs, and curves are not Interstate standard and are quite an adventure for the traffic it carries. Unlike I-17 though AZ 51 is actually a quite beautiful urban freeway and the part north of Glendale Ave. (designed and built by ADOT) is one of my favorite urban freeways anywhere in both design and aesthetics.

CoreySamson

Quote from: CoreySamson on May 27, 2021, 07:51:01 PM

Tier 1: Amazing
FDOT (Florida)
WSDOT (Washington)
ADOT (Arizona)

Tier 2: Pretty Good
TxDOT (Texas)
TNDOT (Tennessee)
WisDOT (Wisconsin)
KDOT (Kansas)
INDOT (Indiana)
MoDOT (Missouri)
UDOT (Utah)
CDOT (Colorado)
NCDOT (North Carolina)
ODOT (Ohio)
IADOT (Iowa)
NEDOT (Nebraska)
DelDOT (Delaware)

Tier 3: Okay
DOTD (Louisiana)
MDOT (Mississippi)
ODOT (Oregon)
MDOT (Michigan)
GDOT (Georgia)
VDOT (Virginia)
NYSDOT (New York)
MnDOT (Minnesota)
NJDOT (New Jersey)
MDOT (Maryland)
WVDOT (West Virginia)
KTC (Kentucky)

Tier 4: Mediocre
ARDOT (Arkansas)
PennDOT (Pennsylvania)
CalTrans (California)
SCDOT (South Carolina)

Tier 5: Bad
RIDOT (Rhode Island)
IDOT (Illinois)

Tier 6: Garbage
ODOT (Oklahoma)
NMDOT (New Mexico)

Unsure (maybe people with more knowledge on these states can help out?)
ITD (Idaho)
NDOT (Nevada)
WYDOT (Wyoming)
MDT (Montana)
NDDOT (North Dakota)
SDDOT (South Dakota)
ALDOT (Alabama)
VTrans (Vermont)
NHDOT (New Hampshire)
HDOT (Hawaii)
AKDOT (Alaska)
MaineDOT (Maine)
CTDOT (Connecticut)
MassDOT (Massachusetts)

This is where we stand right now. Please note that each tier's states are not ordered by how good they are within that tier, only by how good they are compared to other tiers. As for the answer to the OP, I'm thinking FDOT is the best at this moment. Seems like they are able to finish needed projects, fix problem areas, and do it all while making the roads look nice. The only bad thing I have to say about them is their exit gore signs look really ugly.

Someone said earlier in the thread that Hawaii was bottom 3. Anybody else agree? I don't think I've heard much else negative about HDOT, so I'm reserving judgement until I get more answers.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

ran4sh

FDOT as #1? As recently as 2015 there was an advance guide sign on I-75 (approaching I-10) that had an exit arrow, despite the exit being 2 miles from that point.
Control cities CAN be off the route! Control cities make NO sense if signs end before the city is reached!

Travel Mapping - Most Traveled: I-40, 20, 10, 5, 95 - Longest Clinched: I-20, 85, 24, 16, NJ Tpk mainline
Champions - UGA FB '21 '22 - Atlanta Braves '95 '21 - Atlanta MLS '18

sprjus4

Quote from: ran4sh on June 07, 2021, 01:10:50 AM
FDOT as #1? As recently as 2015 there was an advance guide sign on I-75 (approaching I-10) that had an exit arrow, despite the exit being 2 miles from that point.
So you're disqualifying FDOT from first place because of... one sign error?

If that's the case, then could you list a DOT that is better worthy for 1st that has not ever made a mistake?

CoreySamson

Quote from: sprjus4 on June 07, 2021, 01:20:29 AM
Quote from: ran4sh on June 07, 2021, 01:10:50 AM
So you're disqualifying FDOT from first place because of... one sign error?

If that's the case, then could you list a DOT that is better worthy for 1st that has not ever made a mistake?
Yeah, what would everyone else's pick for 1st be?

My Route Log
My Clinches

sprjus4

I'd say somewhere between FDOT, NCDOT, and TxDOT – from my experience.

Cannot speak for ADOT or WsDOT.

Occidental Tourist

Having driven most of the Western US in my life and having driven through most of the Southwest the past couple of weeks, I continue to be impressed with how well the roads are engineered and maintained in Utah, particularly in comparison to the surrounding states.  Is there a reason UDOT is not considered a top tier agency?  I haven't driven in the Wasatch Front for many years now, so I don't know if freeway and population expansion there has allowed it to match the rest of the state in terms of road and sign quality, though.

US 89

In terms of road quality UDOT is top tier - even in the rapidly growing Wasatch Front, where several highways have been newly built or upgraded recently - but there are just a few other things that would keep it from that overall level in my view. One is the poor handling of route concurrencies, which has been getting better in recent years but still is not great (see I-70 in eastern Utah and I-80/US 189). Another is the existence of seemingly endless varieties of beehive state route shield, most of which don't actually look that good. And their traffic signal placement in general is not great compared to many other neighboring states.

That said, they're a great agency that does a fine job.

vdeane

For Washington, didn't they refuse to implement any 75 zones after state law allowed them to do so?  That would drop them a tier in my book.  I also prefer regular exit tabs to their full width ones, but that's more minor and arguably a personal preference.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

CoreySamson

So I guess we can agree that Washington is clear Tier 2. This is starting to turn into my pet project, sort of like how Rothman provides the scoreboard for the lowest-traveled route number thread.

Tier 1: Amazing
FDOT (Florida)
ADOT (Arizona)

Tier 2: Pretty Good
TxDOT (Texas)
TNDOT (Tennessee)
WisDOT (Wisconsin)
KDOT (Kansas)
INDOT (Indiana)
MoDOT (Missouri)
UDOT (Utah)
CDOT (Colorado)
NCDOT (North Carolina)
ODOT (Ohio)
IADOT (Iowa)
NEDOT (Nebraska)
DelDOT (Delaware)
WSDOT (Washington)

Tier 3: Okay
DOTD (Louisiana)
MDOT (Mississippi)
ODOT (Oregon)
MDOT (Michigan)
GDOT (Georgia)
VDOT (Virginia)
NYSDOT (New York)
MnDOT (Minnesota)
NJDOT (New Jersey)
MDOT (Maryland)
WVDOT (West Virginia)
KTC (Kentucky)

Tier 4: Mediocre
ARDOT (Arkansas)
PennDOT (Pennsylvania)
CalTrans (California)
SCDOT (South Carolina)

Tier 5: Bad
RIDOT (Rhode Island)
IDOT (Illinois)

Tier 6: Garbage
ODOT (Oklahoma)
NMDOT (New Mexico)

Unsure (maybe people with more knowledge on these states can help out?)
ITD (Idaho)
NDOT (Nevada)
WYDOT (Wyoming)
MDT (Montana)
NDDOT (North Dakota)
SDDOT (South Dakota)
ALDOT (Alabama)
VTrans (Vermont)
NHDOT (New Hampshire)
HDOT (Hawaii)
AKDOT (Alaska)
MaineDOT (Maine)
CTDOT (Connecticut)
MassDOT (Massachusetts)

Any arguments for any of the Tier 2 states to be in Tier 1 instead? And are there any Tier 1s out of the states without a ranking at the moment?

My Route Log
My Clinches

hotdogPi

VTrans > NHDOT > MassDOT, but MassDOT is definitely not in tier 5 or 6. Given the top-heavy list, I would probably put them as 1, 2, and 3; a more even list would put MassDOT in 4.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

webny99

I think NY should be in Tier 2.

Really the only major thing preventing it from being Tier 1 is the sequential exit numbers, and a few smaller things like route shields often lacking direction banners, and the use of route shields instead of LGS's at freeway entrances (although that's more personal preference than an actual problem).

There's also the low freeway speed limits, but I'm not sure how much that factors in, if at all.

JoePCool14

Another one that hasn't really been mentioned is ISTHA, which has been steadily improving over the years. Lots of roads being completely rebuilt, ending its use of Clearview, experimenting with things like smart roads that IDOT simply will not do. They're either Tier 2 or 3 in my book.

I know some people feel very differently on them though. Someone here on the last thread even said they've been yelled at by an ISTHA employee, might have been Scott? I don't remember.

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

JayhawkCO

I'll nominate WYDOT to be Tier 5.  Nothing is quite as bad as Oklahoma, but with Wyoming's ridiculously low taxes, the roads are in pretty rough shape.  Lots of signage "curiosities", including not updating signs for moved routes for multiple years.  I'll also just add that a lot of their state routes don't serving anything useful other than oil fields, and the oil companies themselves could be in charge of those roads.

ITD I think is in Tier 2.  The roads have all been in pretty good shape every time I've driven through there (I've been on 30ish% of the roads there) and signage has been solid as well.

I'd also raise UDOT to Tier 1.  Given climactic challenges, it has the best roads in the region.

I also think you can drop CDOT down to Tier 3.  Not enough action on improving the highways, only adding toll lanes.  From driving in western Colorado this weekend, a lot of signing that leaves me wanting.

Chris

Bruce

Quote from: vdeane on June 07, 2021, 12:44:33 PM
For Washington, didn't they refuse to implement any 75 zones after state law allowed them to do so?  That would drop them a tier in my book.  I also prefer regular exit tabs to their full width ones, but that's more minor and arguably a personal preference.

Here's the study: https://wsdot.wa.gov/planning/Studies/i90speedlimit/default.htm

A five-minute time savings makes no difference at all, so keeping the limit at 70 is reasonable. And given how awful the drivers in WA are when it comes to long-distance travel (refusing to keep right, truckers ready to blindly change lanes, not slowing for curves and hills), we shouldn't encourage them to go any faster.

vdeane

Funny how the "speed kills" crowd always talks about time savings (which, by the way, varies by how far you're going - over a long enough drive, it adds up), and never talk about how slower speed limits make it feel like you're crawling on the road, which is NOT a fun feeling.  Also funny how they use average speed rather than 85th percentile speed, which would likely tell a different story.  Of course average speed goes up - the people who drive the limit exactly or try to compromise between the limit and a more reasonable speed then increase their speed.  The fact that the average increase is less than the limit increase shows how the speeds of the fastest drivers (the problem ones) are unaffected by what's posted on the sign.

If I had my way, limits on freeways (across the board, except in areas that are significantly substandard or exit dense, or that are already posted at a reasonable limit) would be increased (to 65/70 in urban areas and 75/80 in rural ones) but be more strictly enforced.  No more "the limit is officially X but unofficially X+20".  That sits nicely with my rule-following sensibilities.  The American system of underposing limits but then having unposted "actual" speed limits that vary by jurisdiction does not sit well with me at all.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

sprjus4

Quote from: Bruce on June 07, 2021, 08:09:19 PM
Quote from: vdeane on June 07, 2021, 12:44:33 PM

Here's the study: https://wsdot.wa.gov/planning/Studies/i90speedlimit/default.htm

A five-minute time savings makes no difference at all, so keeping the limit at 70 is reasonable. And given how awful the drivers in WA are when it comes to long-distance travel (refusing to keep right, truckers ready to blindly change lanes, not slowing for curves and hills), we shouldn't encourage them to go any faster.
Speed limits should be set at the 85th percentile. It would've been reasonable to increase the limit to 75 mph, but they didn't. Plain and simple. The safety argument has been debunked 1000 times over, it never holds true in reality. People are going to drive 75-80 mph in a 70 mph zone, they'll continue to drive those speeds in a 75 mph zone. Increasing the speed limit isn't going to change existing behaviors by any large margin, except bring the law closer to reality, which is what WsDOT refused to do in this instance, if anything making it less safe by keeping that gap between those traveling the higher speeds and those obeying the speed limit.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.