News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Burlington Road Meet - November 9, 2013

Started by vdeane, September 04, 2013, 10:42:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vdeane

So, right now we have two choices:

Keep the meet-up at the mall:
-Pro: Guaranteed parking spaces
-Con: Traffic lights getting to I-89, large lot

Use the park-and-ride:
-Pro: smaller meetup area, can drive past VT 15 "u turn" sign in Essex
-Con: parking may be tight if it's busy (Google street view actually shows cars parked in the grass!)

I'm torn here.  Thoughts?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Janko Dialnice

Depending on what my friend Philip decides to for his vacation, there is a remote chance that I may attend this meet. And, of course, I will try to pay another visit to my favorite region of Canada while I am up there. But before I start asking for the time off, shoving projects around, and making hotel reservations, I have a few questions.
(1) How are VT and QC about winter maintenance?
(2) Are there any seasonal restrictions or precautions on using US 2 across Lake Champlain? I was thinking about going into NY State along it, and cross the border at either US 11 or I-87. This would provide me a way to avoid the grilling that I get at the I-89 checkpoint, as well as the slow, boring trip along QC 133.

Duke87

Quote from: Janko Dialnice on September 15, 2013, 01:33:12 PM
Are there any seasonal restrictions or precautions on using US 2 across Lake Champlain?

This is Vermont, not Wyoming. A major road is not going to be closed in winter unless conditions make driving anywhere dangerous. Also, this is November, not winter.

As for a meet-up-point, I'd be more inclined to use a park and ride rather than a mall regardless of other circumstances, for the simple reason that leaving your car at a park and ride carries zero risk of getting towed but the same cannot necessarily be said of a mall.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on September 15, 2013, 04:49:32 PM
Are there any seasonal restrictions or precautions on using US 2 across Lake Champlain?

This is Vermont, not Wyoming. A major road is not going to be closed in winter unless conditions make driving anywhere dangerous. Also, this is November, not winter.

As for a meet-up-point, I'd be more inclined to use a park and ride rather than a mall regardless of other circumstances, for the simple reason that leaving your car at a park and ride carries zero risk of getting towed but the same cannot necessarily be said of a mall.
That's crazy. No one has ever been towed at a meet befo-

Brandon

We did leave the cars at the mall here in town for the Joliet, IL meet back in 2012.  No one really worries about it unless they are left there overnight.  It did have the advantage of letting folks observe a very intricate traffic signal setup in action.  :biggrin:
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

jpi

Quote from: Brandon on September 15, 2013, 07:08:02 PM

We did leave the cars at the mall here in town for the Joliet, IL meet back in 2012.  No one really worries about it unless they are left there overnight.  It did have the advantage of letting folks observe a very intricate traffic signal setup in action.  :biggrin:
And my wife got to do some shopping while we were on the tour ;-)
Jason Ilyes
JPI
Lebanon, TN
Home Of The Barrel

froggie

QuoteThat's crazy. No one has ever been towed at a meet befo-

No, but we have tempted fate at past meets where we left cars at restaurant parking lots.  The mall would be well within their legal bounds if they chose to tow cars left there even during the daytime.

Already mentioned both here and on FB, but another advantage to the park-and-ride is it's right near one of the tour stops.  In fact you could almost walk there from the P&R.

Dr Frankenstein

Quote from: Steve on September 15, 2013, 06:28:00 PM

That's crazy. No one has ever been towed at a meet befo-
I support Anthony 100%. ;D

Janko: QC and VT are very quick on winter maintenance. And yes, snow in November isn't unheard of, especially in the mountains. U.S. routes, Interstates, autoroutes and 100-series Québec routes will be clear within hours, followed closely by major state routes and 200-300 provincial routes and unsigned provincial routes as well. Unless it's a big storm (upwards of 12 inches on a large area)... which would be preposterous in November.

froggie

Snow's not out of the question in early November, but big snow is pretty rare that early in the season.

vdeane

The tour notes and first post are now updated to reflect the change to the park and ride.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

Duke87

Just going to make a modest request: can we get the exact start time nailed down 100% sooner rather than later? I'm holding off on making any hotel reservations until it is, because my lodging is directly dependent on it. If the meet starts and noon I only need one night, but any earlier and I will need two.

vdeane

As far as I'm concerned, it's currently noon with no plans for change at this point.

Duke87

froggie

Just a quick note on this one...I'll most likely have a new vehicle by the time of the meet.  So if we wind up having a small meet (5 total), I can easily fit everyone into my car.

hbelkins

Any remaining chance I had of attending this, which was admittedly slim to begin with, went out the window when KYTC scheduled a public meeting on a proposed widening project for KY 15 in Perry County on Thursday night, Nov. 7. Since I would have to use Thursday as a travel day to make it to northern Vermont in time for the meet, it's now 100 percent that I won't make it. Hope everyone has fun.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

froggie

Took an early look at weather for Saturday.  Looking mostly cloudy (but likely no precipitation), and the temp will at least be above freezing, topping out in the low 40s...probably a little warmer down by the waterfront.

Dougtone

Getting ready to head out to Burlington in a few minutes.  I'll see you at the meet!

Roadgeek Adam

Group meet photos (one with and one without the SEND HELP sign), located in front of the Checkered House Bridge on US 2 in Richmond, VT.

From left to right: Anthony Costanzo (CT), Dylan Lainhart (NY), Lou Corsaro (NJ/SC), Connor Lauzon (MA), Doug Kerr (NY), Rob Sargent (NJ), Adam Froehlig (VT/VA), Carl Tessier (QC), Mark Sinsabaugh (NY), Valerie Deane (NY) and Adam Moss (NJ)
Adam Seth Moss
M.A. History, Western Illinois University 2015-17
B.A. History, Montclair State University 2013-15
A.A. History & Education - Middlesex (County) College 2009-13

vdeane

My photos/report coming as soon as I can get everything posted on my site.

vdeane

froggie

At one point on the tour (I believe at the Island Line Bridge), there were a few questions about the ferries across Lake Champlain and how much of the year/how often they run.

Vermont's Draft Freight Plan briefly describes the ferry system in Chapter 3.  In short, both the Grand Isle-Plattsburgh and Charlotte-Essex ferries run year-round, while the other two (Burlington-Port Kent and Shoreham-Ticonderoga) only run May thru October.  Also, the Grand Isle-Plattsburgh ferry runs 24 hours a day.  The report cites a time savings of about 30 minutes over taking US 2 up and around to Rouses Point.

Alex

vdeane

Quote from: Alex on November 14, 2013, 02:18:09 PM
Quote from: vdeane on November 12, 2013, 08:23:51 PM
Photos/notes online: http://www.nysroads.com/burl13.php

Your web site times out for me.
Looks like Time Warner decided to change my IP address without bothering to tell me.  So much for leaving my router on to make sure my website stays up consistently.

cu2010

Quote from: vdeane on November 14, 2013, 08:07:51 PM
Looks like Time Warner decided to change my IP address without bothering to tell me.  So much for leaving my router on to make sure my website stays up consistently.

They do that. A lot.
This is cu2010, reminding you, help control the ugly sign population, don't have your shields spayed or neutered.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.