News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

3di Business Routes

Started by Rover_0, August 11, 2010, 12:38:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rover_0

I don't know how many of these there are, but how many business loops for 3dis are there?  The only one I'm aware of is 1: BL-196 in Michigan.  Does anyone know any more than I do? Does anyone have pictures?
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

TheStranger

Quote from: Rover_0 on August 11, 2010, 12:38:49 PM
I don't know how many of these there are, but how many business loops for 3dis are there?  The only one I'm aware of is 1: BL-196 in Michigan.  Does anyone know any more than I do? Does anyone have pictures?

Second Michigan example that stands out is Business Spur 375 though I don't think that's signed...at one point, the Lodge Freeway was Business Spur 696.

In California, the only one I know of is Business 205 through Tracy (former US 50). 
Chris Sampang

Brandon

Also in Michigan is BL-496, aka Capitol Loop 496 in Lansing.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

agentsteel53

South Carolina seems to really like them.  Business spur 385 and 526 exist.

there was also the late, great Business Spur 495 in Massachusetts: the Lowell Connector.  That route is a full freeway, so I do not know why they didn't give it a number like I-595 in a red, white, and blue shield.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Ian

How about the latest Business Loop I-376 in Pennsylvania?
UMaine graduate, former PennDOT employee, new SoCal resident.
Youtube l Flickr

huskeroadgeek

Kansas could easily have a couple of I-135 business loops, but instead they are posted as business loops of US 81.

Rover_0

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on August 11, 2010, 01:28:54 PM
Kansas could easily have a couple of I-135 business loops, but instead they are posted as business loops of US 81.

Yea, I never understood that, either.
Fixing erroneous shields, one at a time...

TheStranger

Quote from: Rover_0 on August 11, 2010, 03:06:33 PM

Does Kansas follow the Oregon practice of using a parallel US/state route as its de-facto "business Interstate" loop?
Chris Sampang

huskeroadgeek

Quote from: TheStranger on August 11, 2010, 03:12:45 PM
Quote from: Rover_0 on August 11, 2010, 03:06:33 PM

Does Kansas follow the Oregon practice of using a parallel US/state route as its de-facto "business Interstate" loop?
Sort of. Instead of signing business loops off the interstate as interstate business loops, they are signed as business loops of the former parallel US route which is now cosigned with the interstate. I-135 has business loops signed as Business US 81 and I-70 has business loops signed as Business US 40 and Business US 24. This makes some sense because most of the business routes are former routings of the now cosigned US route, but they function just like interstate business loops and would be signed as such in most other states.
This is I believe slightly different from Oregon where the interstate business loops are signed as the mainline parallel US or state route, instead of keeping the mainline cosigned with the interstate and signing the business loop as a business US route like Kansas does.

TheStranger

Quote from: huskeroadgeek on August 11, 2010, 03:58:45 PM

Sort of. Instead of signing business loops off the interstate as interstate business loops, they are signed as business loops of the former parallel US route which is now cosigned with the interstate. I-135 has business loops signed as Business US 81 and I-70 has business loops signed as Business US 40 and Business US 24. This makes some sense because most of the business routes are former routings of the now cosigned US route, but they function just like interstate business loops and would be signed as such in most other states.
This is I believe slightly different from Oregon where the interstate business loops are signed as the mainline parallel US or state route, instead of keeping the mainline cosigned with the interstate and signing the business loop as a business US route like Kansas does.

The one example I can think of where Oregon's practice is much more like Kansas's is the usage of Business Route 99E in Salem.

Kansas's practice seems very economical - instead of removing the existing US route signs, why not just add Business banners to them?  I think this was also how Texas handled it pre-1991 (when they started truncating US routes overlapping significantly with Interstates).
Chris Sampang

rickmastfan67

Quote from: PennDOTFan on August 11, 2010, 01:23:56 PM
How about the latest Business Loop I-376 in Pennsylvania?

Yep.  And it's the only one I've clinched fully. :)

xonhulu

Quote from: TheStranger on August 11, 2010, 04:17:01 PM
The one example I can think of where Oregon's practice is much more like Kansas's is the usage of Business Route 99E in Salem.

BUS 99E is probably signed as such because it splits from I-5 north of where 99E joins the freeway.  I wonder if it would've been just 99E if the Salem Parkway started where Portland Road ends.

Oregon does use BUS 30 in Ontario where 30 could just be used.  Otherwise, you're right: the mainlines of OR 99 and US 30 serve as the business loops.  You could argue that US 395 serves the same purpose for I-82, but that's a stretch. 

florida

Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 11, 2010, 12:44:38 PM
South Carolina seems to really like them.  Business spur 385 and 526 exist.

I did not know that BS 385 exists. Now, you're going to make me want to look it up.
So many roads...so little time.

TheStranger

Quote from: xonhulu on August 11, 2010, 08:58:33 PM
Quote from: TheStranger on August 11, 2010, 04:17:01 PM

BUS 99E is probably signed as such because it splits from I-5 north of where 99E joins the freeway.  I wonder if it would've been just 99E if the Salem Parkway started where Portland Road ends.

Not to mention that part of the route (the segment concurrent with Route 22) was never on the historic US 99E corridor either...
Chris Sampang

Alex

Quote from: florida on August 11, 2010, 10:52:57 PM
Quote from: agentsteel53 on August 11, 2010, 12:44:38 PM
South Carolina seems to really like them.  Business spur 385 and 526 exist.

I did not know that BS 385 exists. Now, you're going to make me want to look it up.

There are no signs left for it after the I-385 rebuild. Makes one question whether or not it exists. These were only posted on US 276 and were munched several years ago:

xonhulu

Quote from: TheStranger on August 11, 2010, 11:13:56 PM
Not to mention that part of the route (the segment concurrent with Route 22) was never on the historic US 99E corridor either...

Supposedly the historic 99E corridor through Salem was abandoned due to a rift between ODOT and the city.

Personally, I'd rather see BUS 99E dropped.  The Salem Parkway could then be given its hwy number (OR 72), which would end at the jct with OR 22 downtown.  If you don't think such a short route deserves a 2-digit number (a 2dsr?), then follow the example of Belt Line Hwy and make it OR 572.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.