Gratuitous use of curse / swear / vulgar words.

Started by bwana39, January 10, 2023, 08:30:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryV

Quote from: kphoger on January 10, 2023, 09:28:06 PM
My wife held my hand and told me she loved me.
Yeah, she probably thought she (and you) were lucky you were still alive.

kphoger

Quote from: paulthemapguy on January 11, 2023, 09:28:44 AM
It's far healthier to let off steam gradually and non-violently.  Using foul language to diffuse anger or frustration is far less harmful then letting it build into an explosive, violent rage.  It's a strategy for stress relief.  When you take this strategy off the table, for fear of closed-minded puritans condemning your behavior, you set the course for more destructive demonstrations of such frustration or anger.  I actually don't feel as comfortable with other people if they don't swear. People who don't swear are people who put on airs, and judge against others for baseless reasons- or they simply fear becoming the victim of this judgment. But I prefer to surround myself with people who don't need to make up reasons to feel superior to other people.

Meanwhile, the rest of us prefer to surround ourselves with people who use respectful language.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Rothman

Quote from: Urban Prairie Schooner on January 10, 2023, 09:21:51 PM
I can think of many otherwise good films that were ruined due to overuse of the f-word.

End of Watch immediately comes to mind.  There's a short scene near the end where the baddies are yelling at each other and more than every other word is the f-word.  The scene caused laughter for the resulting nonsense sentences rather than tension over how they were going to trap their pursuers.

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

hotdogPi

For reference:

Swear = what you do under oath.
Curse = wishing harm to someone else. "Fuck you" is a curse.
Expletive = doesn't change the meaning of the sentence. "It's so fucking cold out today" contains an expletive. (This is just an example; it's not actually the case currently.)

This is why I generally use the term "profanity" when discussing this subject.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

kphoger

Quote from: 1 on January 11, 2023, 10:38:20 AM
For reference:

Swear = what you do under oath.
Curse = wishing harm to someone else. "Fuck you" is a curse.
Expletive = doesn't change the meaning of the sentence. "It's so fucking cold out today" contains an expletive. (This is just an example; it's not actually the case currently.)

This is why I generally use the term "profanity" when discussing this subject.

The distinction is more fuzzy than that.  The word 'swear' has also been used for foul language for about 600 years by this point.

It's theorized that this is because one might invoke the name of a deity or other spirit in order to issue a curse against someone, and that, because such sacred names were otherwise 'off limits' for people to say, any language deemed inappropriate for casual speech was likewise called 'cursing'.  And, because such sacred names were also used in swearing an oath, inappropriate language was also called 'swearing'.  In fact, even the word 'oaths' itself can refer to foul language.

More properly, the word 'profanity' has only been used for foul language since the 19th Century, and it started out referring specifically to speech that blasphemed the name of God.  So, for example, 'Jumping Jesus Christ!' would have been considered profanity because it used the Lord's name in a vulgar/profane fashion.  Nowadays, of course, it can mean more than just that.  Personally, I like the newer, broader scope:  foul language is the normal pattern of speech for profane people.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

formulanone

Quote from: kphoger on January 11, 2023, 10:56:07 AM
So, for example, 'Jumping Jesus Christ!' would have been considered profanity because it used the Lord's name in a vulgar/profane fashion.

In the grand scheme of things, asking Him to jump while we take a leap of faith isn't really too much to ask.

abefroman329

Quote from: kphoger on January 11, 2023, 10:33:00 AM
It's far healthier to let off steam gradually and non-violently.  Using foul language to diffuse anger or frustration is far less harmful then letting it build into an explosive, violent rage.  It's a strategy for stress relief.  When you take this strategy off the table, for fear of closed-minded puritans condemning your behavior, you set the course for more destructive demonstrations of such frustration or anger.  I actually don't feel as comfortable with other people if they don't swear. People who don't swear are people who put on airs, and judge against others for baseless reasons- or they simply fear becoming the victim of this judgment. But I prefer to surround myself with people who don't need to make up reasons to feel superior to other people.

Meanwhile, the rest of us prefer to surround ourselves with people who use respectful language.
What if I told you that you could do both.

kphoger

Quote from: abefroman329 on January 11, 2023, 11:14:32 AM

Quote from: kphoger on January 11, 2023, 10:33:00 AM

But I prefer to surround myself with people who don't need to make up reasons to feel superior to other people.

What if I told you that you could do both.

Best of both worlds, of course.  But he said he feels less comfortable around people who don't swear.  So, apparently, he can't have it both ways.
Male pronouns, please.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on January 11, 2023, 11:18:40 AM
But he said he feels less comfortable around people who don't swear.  So, apparently, he can't have it both ways.

Meanwhile, I feel less comfortable around people who do swear, especially in a public setting. Thank my upbringing for that.

And it's got nothing to do with feeling or being superior to others. It's about being respectful and having self control.

formulanone

Quote from: webny99 on January 11, 2023, 11:22:48 AM
But he said he feels less comfortable around people who don't swear.  So, apparently, he can't have it both ways.

Meanwhile, I feel less comfortable around people who do swear, especially in a public setting. Thank my upbringing for that.

I have kids, and although they're all in the double-digits now, there's still a tendency to curse out on occasion. But I've found it's way more interesting if you just yell out a weird or a made-up word when you hurt yourself or something bad happened.

I still like saying "son of a motherless goat" after hearing it eons ago in Three Amigos.

webny99

Quote from: formulanone on January 11, 2023, 11:28:44 AM

I have kids, and although they're all in the double-digits now, there's still a tendency to curse out on occasion. But I've found it's way more interesting if you just yell out a weird or a made-up word when you hurt yourself or something bad happened.

I still like saying "son of a motherless goat" after hearing it eons ago in Three Amigos.

Hard +1, if it wasn't obvious from my comments earlier. Made-up words and expressions are almost never offensive to anyone and almost always more interesting and more humorous than the profane alternatives.

kphoger

Quote from: formulanone on January 11, 2023, 11:28:44 AM

When I'm by myself, and I do something that really ticks me off–like working for ten minutes trying to remove some little doodad from something, say, and then stabbing my own hand with the screwdriver or knife I've been using–there's nothing better to make me feel right again than muttering under my breath:  Goddamned motherfucking son a a BITCH!  I mean, in that type of situation, you really have to string together as many of them as possible.  And say the final one with force.

Monday evening, we were taking down the Christmas decorations, and I was taking the 500-yard string of lights off the tree.  I had done a really good job putting them on, by which I mean I had wrapped about 4000 of the lights pretty close to the trunk in order that more than just the outer branches would light up–which in turn meant doing approximately one or two zillion revolutions around the tree, getting the strand tangled in the branches, having to back up every so often and undo a tangle, and tearing up my hands from constantly squeezing them between all the poky stuff.  I was getting irritated;  my eldest son even went downstairs saying 'Dad's in a bad mood'.  At one point I said to the family, 'If you hear me swear, don't be worried.'  My wife looked at me and said, 'Honey, I don't think I've ever heard you swear.'

Apparently, I do a pretty good job of only muttering those strings of profanity when I'm off by myself.

But, at any rate, my favorite non-swear profanity is 'Son of a biscuit-eating Armenian!'
Male pronouns, please.

hbelkins

Quote from: bwana39 on January 10, 2023, 11:37:31 AM

Would you say it in front of your grandma? Would you say it in front of your grandchild? Would you say it to the CEO  or Executive Director of your work organization / company? Would you say it over a microphone in a corporate setting? Would you say it amongst a group of strangers in your hometown?

People need to read the room. I was in a meeting a few years ago when a presenter dropped the f-bomb as casually as one might say "asphalt" or "bridge" or any other road-related word. In the meeting -- a small group of probably around 20 people -- there was a pastor, the wife of a pastor, and several devout Christians. A number of people expressed their shock at him for using that word without knowing the audience.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

mgk920

Hard core gangsta (c)rap. a hard no for me.

(not knowing if this has been mentioned yet upthread) when the late George Carlin said in one of his routines "well F***!, it's the beginning of life!"

Mike

abefroman329

I do remember reading that the first time someone dropped an f-bomb during a Second City show was very, very shortly after JFK was assassinated.  An audience member offered the event as a suggestion for an improvised sketch, and a cast member responded "just what the fuck would you like us to do, sir?"

Bruce

Relevant: YouTube has started demonitizing videos that include profanity in the first few seconds, even doing it retroactively. It's a fucking stupid idea that the puritan morons probably pushed for. Most users won't give a shit if a video has a few bits of profanity to spice up a boring script or be included in the natural flow of a live event.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: Bruce on January 11, 2023, 02:15:09 PM
Relevant: YouTube has started demonitizing videos that include profanity in the first few seconds, even doing it retroactively. It's a fucking stupid idea that the puritan morons probably pushed for. Most users won't give a shit if a video has a few bits of profanity to spice up a boring script or be included in the natural flow of a live event.

Youtube has the most snowflake censorship imaginable. Notice how on comment sections, it will always say 10+ replies but you can only see 3 of them. That's why I deleted my account over a year ago (and any other social media ever further back). Like, grow the fuck up. No one is entitled for the internet not to offend them or to cater to their hurt feelings. And then deleting dislike counts to "protect small content creators" (when we all the know the real reason was news videos on politically sensitive topics were getting RATIOed by a factor of 10). Unless you are committing a crime, or constant harassment, you should be able to say whatever you want, however you want, to anyone you want.

JoePCool14

It's because the advertisers don't want to have their ads play, immediately followed by someone using profanity. Otherwise, it seems like an endorsement. (YouTube advertising always has and always will have issues like this among others)

:) Needs more... :sombrero: Not quite... :bigass: Perfect.
JDOT: We make the world a better place to drive.
Travel Mapping | 65+ Clinches | 280+ Traveled | 8800+ Miles Logged

bwana39

Quote from: hbelkins on January 11, 2023, 12:20:15 PM

Would you say it in front of your grandma? Would you say it in front of your grandchild? Would you say it to the CEO  or Executive Director of your work organization / company? Would you say it over a microphone in a corporate setting? Would you say it amongst a group of strangers in your hometown?

People need to read the room. I was in a meeting a few years ago when a presenter dropped the f-bomb as casually as one might say "asphalt" or "bridge" or any other road-related word. In the meeting -- a small group of probably around 20 people -- there was a pastor, the wife of a pastor, and several devout Christians. A number of people expressed their shock at him for using that word without knowing the audience.

I purposely skipped Religious leaders and persons who practice their faith devoutly because that in itself evokes religion which in itself is very contentious.  While the religious will vocally respond, they are far from the only ones who are uncomfortable with the casual use of profanity.

QuoteRelevant: YouTube has started demonitizing videos that include profanity in the first few seconds, even doing it retroactively. It's a fucking stupid idea that the puritan morons probably pushed for. Most users won't give a shit if a video has a few bits of profanity to spice up a boring script or be included in the natural flow of a live event.

I get that the under 40 crowd are more casual with profanity, but that doesn't make those of us who are not casual / comfortable with it puritanic morons. My opinion is as valid as yours. For me there are fewer and fewer entertainment venues where I am truly comfortable and even fewer where I am comfortable consuming that entertainment with my kid around.

Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

kphoger

Plenty of people watching YouTube with their children (or others') would disagree with you.
Male pronouns, please.

MultiMillionMiler

Quote from: bwana39 on January 11, 2023, 02:47:45 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on January 11, 2023, 12:20:15 PM

I purposely skipped Religious leaders and persons who practice their faith devoutly because that in itself evokes religion which in itself is very contentious.  While the religious will vocally respond, they are far from the only ones who are uncomfortable with the casual use of profanity.

QuoteRelevant: YouTube has started demonitizing videos that include profanity in the first few seconds, even doing it retroactively. It's a fucking stupid idea that the puritan morons probably pushed for. Most users won't give a shit if a video has a few bits of profanity to spice up a boring script or be included in the natural flow of a live event.

I get that the under 40 crowd are more casual with profanity, but that doesn't make those of us who are not casual / comfortable with it puritanic morons. My opinion is as valid as yours. For me there are fewer and fewer entertainmeent venues where I am truly comfortable and even fewer where I am comfortable consuming that entertainment with my kid around.

No one's forcing you to watch or like the video. The issue is excessive age restricting and OCD guidelines regarding cursing/"violent" content. Meanwhile, they have no trouble allowing ads with females in provocative clothing. Having to sign in just to watch a news video, or giving you trouble even though your birthday is clearly over 23 in your Gmail account. My initial YouTube account got banned just for "politically incorrect" comments (I didn't have a single video on my channel). So because of this I had to create a whole new fake gmail account just to sign in to watch such content/comment online (although for the most part I stopped commenting cause of the toxicity. Basically YouTube implemented everything users didn't want, and shows their narcissism/political tyranny by removing dislikes. And I guarantee you, your kid doesn't give a shit about it, you are the one who does. :poke:

Bruce

Youtube already has a Kids-only area (though the content there is probably worse for their development than a bit of profanity, but that's another topic). Trying to make the entire platform into a kids zone is bullshit.

bwana39

Quote from: Bruce on January 11, 2023, 03:04:35 PM
Youtube already has a Kids-only area (though the content there is probably worse for their development than a bit of profanity, but that's another topic). Trying to make the entire platform into a kids zone is bullshit.

No, It has an area for preschoolers. There is clearly a place that is between YouTubeKids and what we see in YouTube
Let's build what we need as economically as possible.

kphoger

Quote from: bwana39 on January 11, 2023, 03:06:40 PM

Quote from: Bruce on January 11, 2023, 03:04:35 PM

No, It has an area for preschoolers. There is clearly a place that is between YouTubeKids and what we see in YouTube

Yes, thank you.  My sons are all at least eight years old.  YouTubeKids is targeted at an audience that's younger than that.

I just don't know why, if you're publishing content that you expect to be viewed by all sorts of people all over, that you wouldn't try and use socially acceptably language.
Male pronouns, please.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: bwana39 on January 11, 2023, 02:47:45 PM
I get that the under 40 crowd are more casual with profanity, but that doesn't make those of us who are not casual / comfortable with it puritanic morons. My opinion is as valid as yours. For me there are fewer and fewer entertainment venues where I am truly comfortable and even fewer where I am comfortable consuming that entertainment with my kid around.

Isn't your kid 40 years old or so?

Quote from: bwana39 on January 11, 2023, 08:12:26 AM
My kid was in middle school in the mid-90's. The textbook was a little older. The teacher was still teaching about the Soviet Union which was 5 years dissolved by that point.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.