News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Alaskan Way Viaduct Replacement Tunnel

Started by jakeroot, April 21, 2014, 06:29:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jakeroot

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 05, 2019, 07:33:31 PM
As much as I like tunnels, it would have been nice to see the Viaduct rebuilt in addition to a tunnel.

I think we can safely file this comment into the "loony bin".

Fact is, during the viaduct closure, most people switched to buses, bikes, and water taxis. Not even sure a replacement freeway was needed at all.

Bruce

I disagree. As much as I like tunnels, it would have been nice to see the Viaduct rebuilt in addition to a tunnel. But alas, I can see the reason those around will enjoy it being gone.

The difference in noise around the waterfront is really staggering. You can actually hear the ferries from quite a distance, which is a useful way of figuring out whether to run for a departure.

Once the viaduct is actually removed and the areas underneath are cleaned up, the differences are going to be even more apparent to the other senses.

silverback1065

Quote from: jakeroot on February 05, 2019, 08:27:04 PM
As much as I like tunnels, it would have been nice to see the Viaduct rebuilt in addition to a tunnel.

Fact is, during the viaduct closure, most people switched to buses, bikes, and water taxis. Not even sure a replacement freeway was needed at all.

please prove that transit comment.  I didn't see the traffic patterns, was traffic bad during the closure?  was 5 worse than normal?

Bruce

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 05, 2019, 08:33:12 PM

please prove that transit comment.  I didn't see the traffic patterns, was traffic bad during the closure?  was 5 worse than normal?

Traffic was extremely light for the conditions. People did as they were told and avoided driving...and it worked pretty great.

The Times reported on it: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/the-cars-just-disappeared-what-happened-to-the-90000-cars-a-day-the-viaduct-carried-before-it-closed/

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on February 05, 2019, 09:08:56 PM

Adding to Bruce's comment; actual data is still being gathered, but preliminary research gathered by Move All Seattle Sustainably (PDF) indicates that, based on comments from King County Metro, transit usage went way up. The Water Taxi from West Seattle also had ridership levels triple. The PDF has a bunch of sources in it. Some conjecture at the moment, to be fair.

jakeroot

Drove the tunnel several times today. In short? Extremely well done, though the concrete is surprisingly bumpy. Not uncomfortably so, but more than you'd expect.

I'm a bit dismayed by the number of drivers exiting northbound at Republican, who then turn left onto Dexter. More than a few seemed to be turning left onto Mercer. They apparently fail to realize that going a few hundred feet further north on 99, and then doing a loop via Roy or Aloha, would be much faster.

If this maneuver starts backing up into the tunnel, I could see SDOT eliminating left turns. Traffic going towards eastbound Mercer would go a block or two further to 8th or 9th, turn left, and then turn right.

Hell, you could avoid Mercer entirely. Turn right from Republican to Dexter, then turn right on Harrison. Take Harrison a few blocks to 5th, and then whatever from there.

Bickendan

Do you think it's GPS and drivers are blindly following it?

Hurricane Rex

Quote from: Bickendan on February 06, 2019, 02:05:36 AM
Yes, as many routes that GPS tells you aren't the fastest way. It also overcongests some roads.

LG-TP260

ODOT, raise the speed limit and fix our traffic problems.

Road and weather geek for life.

Running till I die.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bickendan on February 06, 2019, 02:05:36 AM

For the time being, probably. But only because people don't know the roads just yet. Soon enough, my secret will be out!

Bruce

First day numbers: 22,145 total vehicle trips (due to the snowstorm).

https://twitter.com/GlennFarleyK5/status/1092942691015352320

Today in the tunnel: Its first real traffic jam!

https://twitter.com/CamJohnsonK5/status/1093184961094402048

The preliminary viaduct demolition schedule from Kiewit:

The US 99 sign will be among the first things removed from the viaduct, so we really need to press MOHAI and WSDOT's librarians about preservation.

jakeroot

Cam Johnson sums up my concerns pretty well: the jam seems to be related to people trying to exit at Republican for Mercer. Fucking morons.

Plutonic Panda

File it in whatever imaginary library you want to.

As I said, if we can find grounds to agree on, I do think it will make the area nicer for the residents in the immediate area.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: Bruce on February 05, 2019, 08:28:09 PM
I disagree. As much as I like tunnels, it would have been nice to see the Viaduct rebuilt in addition to a tunnel. But alas, I can see the reason those around will enjoy it being gone.

The difference in noise around the waterfront is really staggering. You can actually hear the ferries from quite a distance, which is a useful way of figuring out whether to run for a departure.

Once the viaduct is actually removed and the areas underneath are cleaned up, the differences are going to be even more apparent to the other senses.
Regrettably, I was unable to make it before the closure so I am unaware of the exact circumstances surrounding the viaduct. I can only imagine how much more pleasant it will make the area.

Plutonic Panda

Quote from: silverback1065 on February 05, 2019, 08:33:12 PM

Traffic was extremely light for the conditions. People did as they were told and avoided driving...and it worked pretty great.

The Times reported on it: https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/transportation/the-cars-just-disappeared-what-happened-to-the-90000-cars-a-day-the-viaduct-carried-before-it-closed/
They also knew it was temporary. That needs to be factored in as well.

jakeroot

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 07, 2019, 02:50:39 AM
As I said, if we can find grounds to agree on, I do think it will make the area nicer for the residents in the immediate area.

Absolutely. 'Tis the entire reason for the tunnel, frankly.

Quote from: Plutonic Panda on February 07, 2019, 02:53:58 AM

They also knew it was temporary. That needs to be factored in as well.

Not sure how many people can reasonably adjust their schedule for three whole weeks. It was a temporary closure, but most people still had to get to work, go to school, etc. Transit and bikes seem to have picked up the slack, since the roads obviously didn't (the congestion wasn't much different than normal). It's not like the entirety of Hwy 99's users just up and left Seattle for three weeks.

mgk920

I certainly agree that this will vastly improve things for the local residents and visitors over what they were like before the viaduct was closed.  OTOH, I seriously doubt that anyone who is living there now and more than a very few of the present-day visitors were around before it was built - they all came in with full the knowledge that it was there and what the conditions were.

What was the general area like before the viaduct was first built, an attractive waterfront, an unattractive industrial and port-based pit of a wasteland, something in between, etc?

Mike

Bruce

Quote from: mgk920 on February 07, 2019, 02:50:51 PM
I certainly agree that this will vastly improve things for the local residents and visitors over what they were like before the viaduct was closed.  OTOH, I seriously doubt that anyone who is living there now and more than a very few of the present-day visitors were around before it was built - they all came in with full the knowledge that it was there and what the conditions were.

What was the general area like before the viaduct was first built, an attractive waterfront, an unattractive industrial and port-based pit of a wasteland, something in between, etc?

Mike

The waterfront has historically been an industry first area, and the Viaduct was built over existing railroad ROW.

Bickendan

Quote from: Bruce on February 07, 2019, 03:04:51 PM

Mike

The waterfront has historically been an industry first area, and the Viaduct was built over existing railroad ROW.
Similar to the Eastbank Freeway and Marquam Bridge in Portland, which is why the 'restoring waterfront access' argument baffles me, even though removing the Viaduct for Seattle and similarly removing the Eastbank (provided it's also replaced with a tunnel) is ultimately a good thing.

Bruce

Quote from: Bickendan on February 07, 2019, 10:39:27 PM
Quote from: Bruce on February 07, 2019, 03:04:51 PM

Mike

Similar to the Eastbank Freeway and Marquam Bridge in Portland, which is why the 'restoring waterfront access' argument baffles me, even though removing the Viaduct for Seattle and similarly removing the Eastbank (provided it's also replaced with a tunnel) is ultimately a good thing.

Good thing the Seattle city government and waterfront boosters don't use restoration to describe the project as a whole. A few things are being restored, however, like the Washington Street Pergola, a juvenile salmon habitat, and at least one "natural" beach.

Bruce

Looks like demolition will be delayed a bit. At least we can have our last, last, last goodbye.

jakeroot

I'm pretty impressed that people keep getting up onto the old viaduct. I could have swore they fenced it off a bit more securely.

Not that I care, of course. This is its last show.

Bruce

The fence on Elliott Avenue's ramp has been left open for at least a week now...

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on February 10, 2019, 01:56:15 AM
The fence on Elliott Avenue's ramp has been left open for at least a week now...

Well, if we hear the DOT complaining about trespassing again, at least we'll have an excuse.

MNHighwayMan

I'm a little sad that people have been vandalizing the old signs.

mrsman

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on February 10, 2019, 10:43:23 AM
I'm a little sad that people have been vandalizing the old signs.
Is there any talk of signs or other parts of the viaduct being placed in a museum?

Nexus 5X

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.