News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big John

Rodgers ends the drama by reporting today.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Big John on July 27, 2021, 01:59:04 PM
RIP Broncos fans.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

triplemultiplex

Oh was there some scuzzlebutt?  I hadn't heard.  :meh:  :-P
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

thspfc

Was a long time coming. NFL fans always fail to realize that the front office is in charge of players who are under contract. Tom Brady leaving the Patriots got everyone excited about star players, particularly quarterbacks, moving around whenever they want wherever they want. But the Brady situation literally took decades to happen, as he was an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his 20-year career. Rodgers is under contract. So is Deshaun Watson, so was Russell Wilson when he and the Seahawks were having their "feud" (it was a bunch of made-up and overblown storylines, there was never a chance that Wilson was going to be traded). When a player is under contract there is three ways they can go to a different team: a trade, in which case the front office makes the final decision, and if they don't want to trade you then they won't trade you; fake retirement, which is a great way to make everyone hate you; or getting cut, and stars almost never get cut.

thspfc

These are my preseason rankings from 1-32. Doesn't reflect who I think will win the Super Bowl/go to the Super Bowl etc., but it's who I think the best teams are right now.

Tier 1: Super Bowl contenders
1. Buccaneers
2. Chiefs
3. Rams
4. Packers
5. Browns
6. Bills
Tier 2: Will most likely make the playoffs
7. Seahawks
8. Ravens
9. Titans
10. Steelers
11. Colts
Tier 3: Playoff bubble
12. Dolphins
13. Chargers
14. Cardinals
15. Vikings
16. 49ers
17. Bears
18. Saints
19. Patriots
20. Raiders
21. Cowboys
Tier 4: Not good but not completely awful
22. Washington
23. Giants
24. Falcons
25. Panthers
26. Broncos
27. Bengals
28. Jaguars
Tier 5: Roll out the tanks
29. Eagles
30. Texans
31. Lions
32. Jets

Alps

Quote from: thspfc on July 28, 2021, 01:11:44 PM
These are my preseason rankings from 1-32. Doesn't reflect who I think will win the Super Bowl/go to the Super Bowl etc., but it's who I think the best teams are right now.

Tier 1: Super Bowl contenders
1. Buccaneers
2. Chiefs
3. Rams
4. Packers
5. Browns
6. Bills
Tier 2: Will most likely make the playoffs
7. Seahawks
8. Ravens
9. Titans
10. Steelers
11. Colts
Tier 3: Playoff bubble
12. Dolphins
13. Chargers
14. Cardinals
15. Vikings
16. 49ers
17. Bears
18. Saints
19. Patriots
20. Raiders
21. Cowboys
Tier 4: Not good but not completely awful
22. Washington
23. Giants
24. Falcons
25. Panthers
26. Broncos
27. Bengals
28. Jaguars
Tier 5: Roll out the tanks
29. Eagles
30. Texans
31. Lions
32. Jets
Jets have the pieces to be Tier 4 but the management to be Tier 6.

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: thspfc on July 28, 2021, 12:51:50 PM
Was a long time coming. NFL fans always fail to realize that the front office is in charge of players who are under contract. Tom Brady leaving the Patriots got everyone excited about star players, particularly quarterbacks, moving around whenever they want wherever they want. But the Brady situation literally took decades to happen, as he was an unrestricted free agent for the first time in his 20-year career. Rodgers is under contract. So is Deshaun Watson, so was Russell Wilson when he and the Seahawks were having their "feud" (it was a bunch of made-up and overblown storylines, there was never a chance that Wilson was going to be traded). When a player is under contract there is three ways they can go to a different team: a trade, in which case the front office makes the final decision, and if they don't want to trade you then they won't trade you; fake retirement, which is a great way to make everyone hate you; or getting cut, and stars almost never get cut.

Rodgers is under contract, but also at an age and a wealth level where he could easily retire if he didn't get what he wanted. The "front office" didn't have a lot of leverage in this situation.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

triplemultiplex

Seems as tho the front office signing Rodgers' old buddy Randall Cobb helped smooth things over in Green Bay.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

thspfc

Carson Wentz is going to miss at least one week of the regular season with a foot injury that has apparently persisted since he was in high school. The dude was with the Eagles for five years, and they did absolutely nothing to fix it. Speaking of the Eagles, Devonta Smith has a knee injury, but he's expected to be back for week 1.

If I was an NFL player I would beg to not go to Philadelphia. Year after year. So many injuries. Eagles fans still want to blame bad luck. When you're one of the 3 most injured teams in the league 5 years in a row, you are doing something very wrong. Maybe it was a Doug Pederson thing and the Smith injury is not indicative of how this season will go.

jeffandnicole

Quote from: thspfc on August 02, 2021, 04:50:11 PM
Carson Wentz is going to miss at least one week of the regular season with a foot injury that has apparently persisted since he was in high school. The dude was with the Eagles for five years, and they did absolutely nothing to fix it. Speaking of the Eagles, Devonta Smith has a knee injury, but he's expected to be back for week 1.

If I was an NFL player I would beg to not go to Philadelphia. Year after year. So many injuries. Eagles fans still want to blame bad luck. When you're one of the 3 most injured teams in the league 5 years in a row, you are doing something very wrong. Maybe it was a Doug Pederson thing and the Smith injury is not indicative of how this season will go.

A lot of Philly fans blame the medical staff.  There was a fairly direct correlation between a largely revamped medical staff and more injuries.

webny99

Just realized that I am within a couple days of the exact same age as Jets quarterback Zach Wilson.

Wow, that is hard to wrap my head around.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: webny99 on August 11, 2021, 03:53:07 PM
Just realized that I am within a couple days of the exact same age as Jets quarterback Zach Wilson.

It's still a couple of years until NFL players start being younger than me, but already some upcoming NBA prospects are younger than me.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

TheHighwayMan3561

It gets weirder when you reach the age where many players are on the downside of their careers, and only the best of the best are still playing.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

NWI_Irish96

I became older than every NFL player when Adam Vinatierri retired.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

JayhawkCO

Hey, just curious.  Any interest in an AARoads Fantasy Football League? (Maybe make a separate thread for it to see if we could get 10-12 people?)

Chris

1995hoo

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 11, 2021, 04:37:47 PM

It's still a couple of years until NFL players start being younger than me, but already some upcoming NBA prospects are younger than me.

What stinks is when you hear the oldest player in a given league described as "old" and he's several years younger than you are (I'm thinking of Zdeno Chara).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

thspfc

Quote from: jayhawkco on August 11, 2021, 05:20:22 PM
Hey, just curious.  Any interest in an AARoads Fantasy Football League? (Maybe make a separate thread for it to see if we could get 10-12 people?)

Chris
I'm interested, I would prefer an nfl.com league.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on August 11, 2021, 08:44:37 PM

Chris

Never played there. Any particular reason you like them? Or just convenience with your other leagues?

Chris

CoreySamson

Quote from: jayhawkco on August 11, 2021, 08:57:33 PM
Quote from: thspfc on August 11, 2021, 08:44:37 PM

Chris

Never played there. Any particular reason you like them? Or just convenience with your other leagues?

Chris
I must say I prefer NFL.com over Yahoo for fantasy football. I might be up for it. I'm actually the reigning champion of my youth group league.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Alps

you are also a better football player

webny99

Quote from: Alps on August 11, 2021, 09:38:21 PM

you are also a better football player

Haha! No way, I am terrible at sports, including football. Zach Wilson is still better than me even if he's the biggest bust of all time.

thspfc

Apparently Wilson has been less than impressive in training camp. But it doesn't matter until week 1. Jets will have a top 5 draft pick next year regardless of whether or not Wilson plays well, so if he has a bad rookie season, who knows if he'll be a Jet in 2022.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on August 11, 2021, 11:39:55 PM
Apparently Wilson has been less than impressive in training camp. But it doesn't matter until week 1. Jets will have a top 5 draft pick next year regardless of whether or not Wilson plays well, so if he has a bad rookie season, who knows if he'll be a Jet in 2022.

Without looking to verify, I would highly doubt any 1st round QB has ever not been on the team that he started his career with (draft day trades and such notwithstanding) on opening day of his 2nd year.  Tough to bail on investments quite that early.

Chris

thspfc

Quote from: jayhawkco on August 11, 2021, 11:45:13 PM

Without looking to verify, I would highly doubt any 1st round QB has ever not been on the team that he started his career with (draft day trades and such notwithstanding) on opening day of his 2nd year.  Tough to bail on investments quite that early.

Chris
Josh Rosen was drafted by the Cardinals in 2018 and was shipped off to the Dolphins one year later.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on August 12, 2021, 11:38:54 AM
Quote from: jayhawkco on August 11, 2021, 11:45:13 PM

Chris
Josh Rosen was drafted by the Cardinals in 2018 and was shipped off to the Dolphins one year later.

Good call.  Forgot about him.  Still, rare.

Chris

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.