News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

1995hoo

Quote from: 1995hoo on January 03, 2021, 08:19:11 PM
The Houston Football Team win the Snyder Prize by finishing the season with the "Football Team"  moniker under the forum's game.

If we continue this from last season, Houston just became the Jaguars and Jacksonville became the Football Team.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

TheHighwayMan3561

Packers got their ass kicked by the Saints.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

thspfc

Quote from: thspfc on September 12, 2021, 10:35:21 AM

Titans 36, Cardinals 34

Falcons 44, Eagles 14

Packers 28, Saints 17

Just gonna pretend that those never happened . . .

QuoteChiefs 48, Browns 21
Not exactly. But the Chiefs won nonetheless, so the Browns fans remain in a stable headspace for at least a couple more weeks. With the history of the Browns secondary when playing with a double digit lead (i.e. the Cowboys, Titans, and Steelers games last year in which they nearly surrendered seemingly insurmountable leads), the tendency of their passing game to shut down in the biggest moments against the best teams, and the fact that they're the Browns, it shouldn't be surprising that they gave up a 12-point lead.

triplemultiplex

Packers looked like shit today. Had to stop watching at the end of the 3rd.  Yeesh.

Fortunately, that Chiefs-Browns games was way more entertaining.  Can't believe the Browns' punter fumbled that snap!  Derp!  And that one TD Mahomes threw; they don't teach ya to do that!  Off balance throw across your body to a deep receiver?  You could practically hear the entire KC sideline simultaneously clench their sphincters.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

74/171FAN

Quote from: triplemultiplex on September 12, 2021, 09:11:18 PM
Packers looked like shit today. Had to stop watching at the end of the 3rd.  Yeesh.

Fortunately, that Chiefs-Browns games was way more entertaining.  Can't believe the Browns' punter fumbled that snap!  Derp!  And that one TD Mahomes threw; they don't teach ya to do that!  Off balance throw across your body to a deep receiver?  You could practically hear the entire KC sideline simultaneously clench their sphincters.

My friend asked me if Aaron Rodgers had retired.  He may as well have...
I am now a PennDOT employee.  My opinions/views do not necessarily reflect the opinions/views of PennDOT.

webny99

What was the biggest surprise of Week 1 so far? Had to be Cardinals 38, Titans 13, right?
Or maybe Packers-Saints, but the Packers seem to have a dud performance every once in a while.

And not exactly surprising, but I really enjoyed the chaotic ending of 49ers-Lions.

webny99

An amusing summary of last night in WNY (even the rain is accurate):

JayhawkCO

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 12, 2021, 05:37:00 PM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 12, 2021, 05:00:53 PM
Did Dalvin Cook fumble?

Of course I'll say no, but it was one of those calls that the booth was going to stay with the original call.

If the Vikings didn't play like shit in the first half, it doesn't matter anyway.

Agreed.  It wasn't a fumble, but as soon as they called it that way on the field, it was moot.  The ten penalties in the first half was absurd.  Two false starts by C.J. Ham on the first drive alone.

Chris

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: jayhawkco on September 13, 2021, 01:39:47 PM
Did Dalvin Cook fumble?

Of course I'll say no, but it was one of those calls that the booth was going to stay with the original call.

If the Vikings didn't play like shit in the first half, it doesn't matter anyway.

Agreed.  It wasn't a fumble, but as soon as they called it that way on the field, it was moot.  The ten penalties in the first half was absurd.  Two false starts by C.J. Ham on the first drive alone.

Chris

Part of this problem is the NFL's own doing, as officials are encouraged to rule fumbles on close calls (same with touchdown/no touchdown plays) because they can fix it in replay, so they don't accidentally screw the defensive team by not letting a fumble-score play out. But then because of that you get situations like yesterday where there was no definitive proof Cook didn't fumble even if it looked like he was probably down in at least two of the shots, and even if they were 90% sure he didn't they had no choice but to stay with it because they couldn't be 100% sure.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

JayhawkCO

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on September 13, 2021, 03:46:53 PM
Quote from: jayhawkco on September 13, 2021, 01:39:47 PM
Did Dalvin Cook fumble?

Chris

Part of this problem is the NFL's own doing, as officials are encouraged to rule fumbles on close calls (same with touchdown/no touchdown plays) because they can fix it in replay, so they don't accidentally screw the defensive team by not letting a fumble-score play out. But then because of that you get situations like yesterday where there was no definitive proof Cook didn't fumble even if it looked like he was probably down in at least two of the shots, and even if they were 90% sure he didn't they had no choice but to stay with it because they couldn't be 100% sure.

Yep.  Agreed, there's not a good answer.  Unfortunately, those type of things tend to go against the teams I cheer for.

Chris

CoreySamson

My takeaways from Week 1:

- I'm genuinely surprised how well the Texans played against the Jaguars. Not many penalties, the defense made some big plays (fun fact, the Texans had 3 INTs yesterday, just as many as they had all year last year), and the offense was pretty great (if not a little inconsistent). And yes, I'm happy that they are in sole command of the AFC South. But I'm not sure if yesterday's game was a testament to how good the Texans are or how bad Urban Meyer's coaching is the Jaguars are. If this game wasn't a fluke, then I could totally see the Texans making a run at winning the division if they play in a lot of shootouts (that's going to be the only way they're going to win with that defense). We'll see how they do against Cleveland next week.

- The NFC West could be the best all-around division the NFL has ever seen. Each team scored at least 28 points, and all won by at least 10 points (except the 49ers, but that final score is deceiving).

- Potentially underrated teams: Cardinals, Eagles, Rams. Overrated teams: Falcons, Giants, Packers

- The Chargers actually managed to close out a close game without breaking hearts. Both them and the WFT seem like playoff teams to me this week.

- AFC South is by far the worst division. the NFC East looks good in comparison.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

thspfc

Quote from: CoreySamson on September 13, 2021, 09:34:16 PM
- I'm genuinely surprised how well the Texans played against the Jaguars. Not many penalties, the defense made some big plays (fun fact, the Texans had 3 INTs yesterday, just as many as they had all year last year), and the offense was pretty great (if not a little inconsistent). And yes, I'm happy that they are in sole command of the AFC South. But I'm not sure if yesterday's game was a testament to how good the Texans are or how bad Urban Meyer's coaching is the Jaguars are. If this game wasn't a fluke, then I could totally see the Texans making a run at winning the division if they play in a lot of shootouts (that's going to be the only way they're going to win with that defense). We'll see how they do against Cleveland next week.
I don't want to overreact to week 1 for the 392nd year in a row. But I am more concerned about the Jaguars than I am about any other team after yesterday, save for maybe the Falcons. Got whopped by a team that was the consensus worst in the league throughout the offseason, defense couldn't stop a Bishop Sycamore offense, and the Jags offense was ineffective for the vast majority of the game against a defensive front that was ALREADY the WORST in the league last year - and then lost JJ Watt! Only 76 rushing yards for the Jags, compared to the Texans' 160. Now, with that being said, the Browns lost 38-6 to the Ravens in week 1 last season with a new head coach, but it's obvious that this Jacksonville team is not anywhere close to the talent level of the Browns. Way too early to call on Urban Meyer, doesn't look good early on though.

- The NFC West could be the best all-around division the NFL has ever seen. Each team scored at least 28 points, and all won by at least 10 points (except the 49ers, but that final score is deceiving).
First off, no, that 49ers vs Lions score is not deceiving at all. The Lions were like 20 yards away from scoring to make it 41-39, and at then a 2-pt conversion (of which the Lions had already made 2) would have tied it. Just because it was a late comeback doesn't mean that the score is not indicative of how the game went. If it was, say, 56-35 with the losing team scoring three of their five TDs while trailing by 30+ points in the 4th quarter, then sure, you can say that the score was deceiving.

More importantly: it might not even be the best division this season. The AFC North rivals the NFC West. Don't know if it's better though.

thspfc

Whichever way you slice it, giving up 33 points to Detroit is embarrassing for this 49ers team. Lions were playing their first game with a first year head coach, a new mediocre quarterback, and, uh, not a whole lot of generational talent at wide receiver. Goff was 38/57 for 338 yards and 3 touchdowns. Sure, the Niners offense played great - against the Lions defense, yeah. But when your defense is supposed to be your biggest strength and you give up 33 points, 430 yards, and 31 first downs to a brand-new somewhat disjointed devoid of talent offense, that should raise some questions.

CoreySamson

Quote from: thspfc on September 13, 2021, 10:42:21 PM
First off, no, that 49ers vs Lions score is not deceiving at all. The Lions were like 20 yards away from scoring to make it 41-39, and at then a 2-pt conversion (of which the Lions had already made 2) would have tied it. Just because it was a late comeback doesn't mean that the score is not indicative of how the game went. If it was, say, 56-35 with the losing team scoring three of their five TDs while trailing by 30+ points in the 4th quarter, then sure, you can say that the score was deceiving.
Yes, very true, but it took two improbable events (Lions recovering onside kick and 49ers fumbling on their second-to-last drive) for that last drive of the Lions to even happen. The 49ers played like complete crap for the last 6 minutes of the game, but they dominated the rest of it. Even then, nearly choking up a 24 point lead in the last few minutes (even if it's based on a perfect storm of events) is not a good look for the 49ers.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

webny99

Quote from: CoreySamson on September 13, 2021, 09:34:16 PM
- AFC South is by far the worst division. the NFC East looks good in comparison.

The NFC East might not even be second-worst, because the NFC North might be worse than them too.

jgb191

Quote from: thspfc on September 12, 2021, 04:22:37 PMTurns out that the Texans aren't as bad as most people think, as they've already tied or exceeded the win total a lot of people expected.

Much of our Texans fan base like to credit our new head coach David Culley for the win.  He is certainly an upgrade over Bill 0'Brien.  And based on the locker room post game talk, the players seem very eager to play for him.  Coach Culley is a player's coach who has brought an exciting and positive culture for our players.

We're probably not going to win next weekend at Cleveland, but if the Texans pick up where they left off (energy wise), I am hopeful for a more competitive and interesting game than most people expect.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

jeffandnicole

Quote from: No one since 2007, and that's being kind
We're probably not going to win next weekend at Cleveland...

Words that haven't been spoken for years.

Roadgeekteen

Man that Raiders Ravens game was crazy!
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

snowc

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 14, 2021, 04:39:20 PM
dont get me started on that. lamar did  :pan: to stop the raiders.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: snowc on September 14, 2021, 04:40:43 PM

He's playing defense too?

Chris

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jayhawkco on September 14, 2021, 05:38:26 PM
Quote from: snowc on September 14, 2021, 04:40:43 PM

He's playing defense too?

Chris
Although that strip-sack was bad.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JayhawkCO

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on September 14, 2021, 06:17:06 PM
Although that strip-sack was bad.

100%.  Cost me the chance at a decent bet I had.

Chris

NWI_Irish96

So my 13 year old son started playing fantasy football. I didn't find out until he mentioned about 2:30 Sunday afternoon that his fantasy team was doing well. Without any input from me, he managed to draft a pretty decent team. I did look at his roster and advised him to drop his 2nd kicker and 2nd tight end (he was worried about bye weeks and I told him you just pick up an extra guy that week and drop him again) and replaced them with the backups for his two running backs.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Alps

webny99

Wow, the ending of that game between the Giants and Washington was something else...

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.