News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thspfc

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on February 07, 2022, 10:50:53 AM
Quote from: webny99 on February 07, 2022, 10:17:10 AM
Quote from: thspfc on February 07, 2022, 09:48:41 AM
Quote from: Alps on February 06, 2022, 11:06:27 PM
Quote from: thspfc on February 06, 2022, 11:02:32 PM
Awful franchise.
Awful rush to judgment.

I'm not sure what any of that has to do with Alvin Kamara...

I don't disagree that certain aspects of the Saints franchise are questionable, but I do dispute that they did "basically nothing" with Drew Brees. They had at least 7 wins every season of his career there, won a Super Bowl, and would have had another appearance if not for the infamous no-call. Only the Pats and Steelers have had more sustained success in that time frame. And their great regular season run from 2017-2020 was mostly because of their defense, not Brees.

I totally get what point you are trying to make, but what you said is one of the attitudes I have been singling out: "...would have had another appearance if not for the infamous no-call."  When the flag was thrown, the game was tied.  They kicked a field goal to go up by 3 and then kicked off to the Rams and their defense couldn't stop the Rams from marching down the field and kicking a game tying field goal to send the game to overtime.  Brees throws an interception and the Rams score on that possession.  I look at all that and say the Saints lost that game, not the officials.

I will be first to say, yes, that was a bad no-call.  The guy wasn't playing ball and hit the receiver, that's DPI all day.  Lets say they threw the flag.  Now it's first and goal on that 4ish?  They still have to score a touchdown on that drive and there is no givens that they actually do score a touchdown and end up kicking a field goal anyway just like it played out in reality.  Or maybe after stopping them on 3rd down after the automatic first down, the Rams go in and block the field goal attempt in the alternate reality and the Saints can't even tie the game and Rams win anyway. 

Again, I am not saying you are thinking this.  I think you were pointing out that the Saints, with Brees won a Super Bowl and nearly went to or possibly won more if not for a few bad luck situations.  I get it, but there are a lot of people who take what you said as gospel.  They honestly think that if that flag was thrown, the Saints would have won.  Does anyone see the arrogance in that statement?  "We would have definitely got our job done had you just done yours!"...despite the fact that we messed around all game to the point where it was ied in the last minute.  It's sports.  There is no telling what would have happened.  They could have had first and goal on the 4 after the DPI was called and Brees could have thrown a pick six.  You don't know.  This notion of "if you just gave me the chance, I would have definitely done what I was supposed to do then" is just false.  You proved all game you can't always just score at will.  If any team is good enough to say we would have 100% scored on X play, then they should have been winning 60-20 by that point and taking knees and not tied 20-20 needing a DPI to be called to have a shot to win.
This is ridiculous. Just because they could have won by 40 doesn't mean that the game shouldn't be fair.

Did you even watch the game or look at the play-by-play at all? Had it been called correctly, the Saints would have had 1st and goal with 1:41 left, and the Rams would have had one timeout. Brees wouldn't have thrown another pass. They'd have kicked a chip shot field goal with about 20 seconds left.

Sure, it's not easy to score at will, but it's pretty easy to make a 22 yard field goal. I can make a 22 yard field goal, you probably can too.

They also didn't need a DPI called to have a chance to win. In fact, that statement goes against the entire narrative of your post ("they had so many chances to win without the DPI" . . . "they shouldn't have needed a DPI to have a chance to win")

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on February 07, 2022, 11:01:41 AM
Sure, it's not easy to score at will, but it's pretty easy to make a 22 yard field goal. I can make a 22 yard field goal, you probably can too.

I'll bet more than just a signature change on the fact you couldn't hit a 22 yard field goal if given 5 chances.

jmacswimmer

Quote from: JayhawkCO on February 07, 2022, 11:02:47 AM

I'll bet more than just a signature change on the fact you couldn't hit a 22 yard field goal if given 5 chances.

True story: After Cody Parkey's double-doink (shudders), Goose Island Brewing in Chicago held a contest where fans could attempt the same 43-yard field goal.

The result? 0 for 100  :-D

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-spt-bears-goose-island-field-goal-challenge-20190112-story.html
"Now, what if da Bearss were to enter the Indianapolis 5-hunnert?"
"How would they compete?"
"Let's say they rode together in a big buss."
"Is Ditka driving?"
"Of course!"
"Then I like da Bear buss."
"DA BEARSSS BUSSSS"

thspfc

You really want to go down 0-2 on bets with me?  :-D

(I'm not going to share any videos containing myself online, so not I'm not taking that bet. But I can make a 22 yard field goal and have done so many times.)

thspfc

Quote from: jmacswimmer on February 07, 2022, 11:08:03 AM

True story: After Cody Parkey's double-doink (shudders), Goose Island Brewing in Chicago held a contest where fans could attempt the same 43-yard field goal.

The result? 0 for 100  :-D

https://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/bears/ct-spt-bears-goose-island-field-goal-challenge-20190112-story.html
I definitely couldn't make a 43-yarder.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on February 07, 2022, 10:46:35 AM
At least 7 wins? They were at least below average every year they had a top 10 all-time quarterback? What a feat.

I would call 7-9 (and 9-7, for that matter) an average record. It's close enough to 8-8 that it's not really meaningfully above or below .500. But even if 7-9 was significantly below average, going 7-9 or better 15 straight seasons is still better than 29 other teams during that timeframe.

The Packers have been more successful in that timeframe.

By what measure? I count a few more playoff appearances, but the same amount of SB appearances/wins, so you could argue the Saints got more out of their playoff appearances, going 1-for-8 while the Packers went 1-for-12. And the Packers had two 6-win seasons which is slightly worse than the Saints worst season.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on February 07, 2022, 11:13:56 AM
At least 7 wins? They were at least below average every year they had a top 10 all-time quarterback? What a feat.

I would call 7-9 (and 9-7, for that matter) an average record. It's close enough to 8-8 that it's not really meaningfully above or below .500. But even if 7-9 was significantly below average, going 7-9 or better 15 straight seasons is still better than 29 other teams during that timeframe.

The Packers have been more successful in that timeframe.

By what measure? I count a few more playoff appearances, but the same amount of SB appearances/wins, so you could argue the Saints got more out of their playoff appearances, going 1-for-8 while the Packers went 1-for-12. And the Packers had two 6-win seasons which is slightly worse than the Saints worst season.
The Packers got to 6 NFC title games, the Saints got to 3. The Packers got to the divisional 10 times, the Saints got there 7 times.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: thspfc on February 07, 2022, 11:10:41 AM

(I'm not going to share any videos containing myself online, so not I'm not taking that bet. But I can make a 22 yard field goal and have done so many times.)

You're welcome to wear a mask.  :) 

webny99

I don't disagree that certain aspects of the Saints franchise are questionable, but I do dispute that they did "basically nothing" with Drew Brees. They had at least 7 wins every season of his career there, won a Super Bowl, and would have had another appearance if not for the infamous no-call. Only the Pats and Steelers have had more sustained success in that time frame. And their great regular season run from 2017-2020 was mostly because of their defense, not Brees.

I totally get what point you are trying to make, but what you said is one of the attitudes I have been singling out: "...would have had another appearance if not for the infamous no-call."  When the flag was thrown, the game was tied.  They kicked a field goal to go up by 3 and then kicked off to the Rams and their defense couldn't stop the Rams from marching down the field and kicking a game tying field goal to send the game to overtime.  Brees throws an interception and the Rams score on that possession.  I look at all that and say the Saints lost that game, not the officials.

I will be first to say, yes, that was a bad no-call.  The guy wasn't playing ball and hit the receiver, that's DPI all day.  Lets say they threw the flag.  Now it's first and goal on that 4ish?  They still have to score a touchdown on that drive and there is no givens that they actually do score a touchdown and end up kicking a field goal anyway just like it played out in reality.  Or maybe after stopping them on 3rd down after the automatic first down, the Rams go in and block the field goal attempt in the alternate reality and the Saints can't even tie the game and Rams win anyway. 

Again, I am not saying you are thinking this.  I think you were pointing out that the Saints, with Brees won a Super Bowl and nearly went to or possibly won more if not for a few bad luck situations. ...
This is ridiculous. Just because they could have won by 40 doesn't mean that the game shouldn't be fair.

Did you even watch the game or look at the play-by-play at all? Had it been called correctly, the Saints would have had 1st and goal with 1:41 left, and the Rams would have had one timeout. Brees wouldn't have thrown another pass. They'd have kicked a chip shot field goal with about 20 seconds left.

They also didn't need a DPI called to have a chance to win. In fact, that statement goes against the entire narrative of your post ("they had so many chances to win without the DPI" . . . "they shouldn't have needed a DPI to have a chance to win")

Yeah, of course the Saints had other chances to win the game, but it should be pointed out that the clock was a MASSIVE factor in why that no-call is so infamous and will be remembered for basically changing the outcome of game. The Saints could have taken some shots at the end zone and/or run the clock basically down to 0 before trying the field goal. In all likelihood, the Rams would not have had enough time for a tying FG drive.

(I don't think I could make a 22 yard FG, by the way  :D)

triplemultiplex

Quote from: tchafe1978 on February 06, 2022, 04:52:19 PM
Quote from: 1995hoo on February 06, 2022, 04:21:28 PM
I very briefly turned on the Pro Bowl and discovered it's now two-hand touch. I promptly turned it off in favor of Olympic curling.

They can't go getting anybody injured from tackling now. It would be a step up if it was flag football. The Pro Bowl is easily the worst of the Big 4 All-Star games. They are trying out a couple of interesting rule changes regarding the coin flip and field position replacing kickoffs, though I don't think they're very likely to be implemented in regular season games anytime soon.

Next year, they'll have all the Pro Bowlers play Madden instead.
Think about it.  That's what the kids are into: watching other people play video games.  So that's how you hook the next generation on football. ;)
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: thspfc on February 07, 2022, 09:48:41 AM
Quote from: Alps on February 06, 2022, 11:06:27 PM
Quote from: thspfc on February 06, 2022, 11:02:32 PM
Awful franchise.
Awful rush to judgment.

I'm not sure what any of that has to do with Alvin Kamara...

Again, I am not saying you are thinking this.  I think you were pointing out that the Saints, with Brees won a Super Bowl and nearly went to or possibly won more if not for a few bad luck situations.  I get it, but there are a lot of people who take what you said as gospel.  They honestly think that if that flag was thrown, the Saints would have won.  Does anyone see the arrogance in that statement?  "We would have definitely got our job done had you just done yours!"...despite the fact that we messed around all game to the point where it was ied in the last minute.  It's sports.  There is no telling what would have happened.  They could have had first and goal on the 4 after the DPI was called and Brees could have thrown a pick six.  You don't know.  This notion of "if you just gave me the chance, I would have definitely done what I was supposed to do then" is just false.  You proved all game you can't always just score at will.  If any team is good enough to say we would have 100% scored on X play, then they should have been winning 60-20 by that point and taking knees and not tied 20-20 needing a DPI to be called to have a shot to win.

I watched the whole game on my porch while I put together our grill.  I said all game the Saints offense was not firing on all cylinders.  Sure would have been nice had one of those stalled out drives during the game actually panned out as a touchdown, then they would have been up by 7 when the "in-famous" no-call happened instead of needing it.

Again, take care of your own stuff first, bad calls are part of the game and have been a part of the game as long as the game has been around, and all of the reasons you lost are staring back at you in the mirror.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: webny99 on February 07, 2022, 11:26:26 AM

Again, I am not saying you are thinking this.  I think you were pointing out that the Saints, with Brees won a Super Bowl and nearly went to or possibly won more if not for a few bad luck situations. ...

Yeah, of course the Saints had other chances to win the game, but it should be pointed out that the clock was a MASSIVE factor in why that no-call is so infamous and will be remembered for basically changing the outcome of game. The Saints could have taken some shots at the end zone and/or run the clock basically down to 0 before trying the field goal. In all likelihood, the Rams would not have had enough time for a tying FG drive.

I am not doubting it was MASSIVE, but again, you still have to make the field goal.  Let's go talk to Scott Norwood about it. 

webny99

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on February 07, 2022, 12:14:43 PM
Quote from: webny99 on February 07, 2022, 11:26:26 AM
... of course the Saints had other chances to win the game, but it should be pointed out that the clock was a MASSIVE factor in why that no-call is so infamous and will be remembered for basically changing the outcome of game. The Saints could have taken some shots at the end zone and/or run the clock basically down to 0 before trying the field goal. In all likelihood, the Rams would not have had enough time for a tying FG drive.

I am not doubting it was MASSIVE, but again, you still have to make the field goal.  Let's go talk to Scott Norwood about it.

Of course, but there's also no comparison between a 47-yarder and a 22-yarder not to mention kickers have gotten better since the '90s and the Superdome is a closed roof.

jeffandnicole

How many times have you missed a 22 yard field goal?

Henry

I'm sort of neutral on the Pro Bowl: While it's the only one of the All-Star contests to be played in the postseason, in retrospect, moving it to the week before the Super Bowl was a huge mistake. This means that you won't be able to see the players on the teams that will play in the Big Game in Hawaii (this year, it would be the Rams and Bengals), and I don't know if all 32 teams are still required to have at least one representative on their respective conferences' rosters, like MLB's All-Star Game needing all 30 teams to have one on the two leagues' rosters. On the other side of things, if someone were to get injured in the Pro Bowl, at least he'll have plenty of time to recover in the offseason so as to be ready for the new season. That being said, I skipped it again this year because it doesn't mean a thing to me. Even when guys like Walter Payton, Richard Dent and William "The Refrigerator" Perry were elected, I never got to watch it, so no big deal here.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

thspfc

Quote from: jeffandnicole on February 07, 2022, 12:56:09 PM

How many times have you missed a 22 yard field goal?
Quite a few I'm sure. I said I CAN make it, not that I ALWAYS make it.

1995hoo

Quote from: Henry on February 07, 2022, 01:07:41 PM
I'm sort of neutral on the Pro Bowl: While it's the only one of the All-Star contests to be played in the postseason, in retrospect, moving it to the week before the Super Bowl was a huge mistake. This means that you won't be able to see the players on the teams that will play in the Big Game in Hawaii (this year, it would be the Rams and Bengals), and I don't know if all 32 teams are still required to have at least one representative on their respective conferences' rosters, like MLB's All-Star Game needing all 30 teams to have one on the two leagues' rosters. On the other side of things, if someone were to get injured in the Pro Bowl, at least he'll have plenty of time to recover in the offseason so as to be ready for the new season. That being said, I skipped it again this year because it doesn't mean a thing to me. Even when guys like Walter Payton, Richard Dent and William "The Refrigerator" Perry were elected, I never got to watch it, so no big deal here.

The Pro Bowl is no longer played in Hawaii–this year it was at the Raiders' stadium. Aloha Stadium is closed for a variety of reasons, including structural concerns that raise serious safety questions. Even the University of Hawaii football team isn't playing there anymore.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

gr8daynegb

Quote from: 1995hoo on February 07, 2022, 02:21:12 PM
Quote from: Henry on February 07, 2022, 01:07:41 PM

The Pro Bowl is no longer played in Hawaii–this year it was at the Raiders' stadium. Aloha Stadium is closed for a variety of reasons, including structural concerns that raise serious safety questions. Even the University of Hawaii football team isn't playing there anymore.

With the $$$ players can make, it's made the pro bowl an obsolete game. 

MLB they still compete, but pitchers go no more than two innings and the big collisions rules have taken out.  Their are the macho matchups you'll see(pitcher says I'm throwing 99 mph heat, try and hit it) that make it interesting.

NBA plays in spurts, but players with not hold themselves back from doing something really athletic.

NHL nice to see skills, but can be boring like NFL because they'll avoid hitting.

All major All Star games aren't what they used to be, baseball probably is the best going forward for how money changed it all
So Lone Star now you see that evil will always triumph because good is dumb.

thspfc

I'm not even going to try to speculate about the success of most of the coaching hires. But every year there is one head coaching hire that I despise. Last year it was Culley, and though he exceeded my expectations a little bit, it is once again the Texans who make the head-scratcher. As I've heard many people say, Lovie Smith feels like another unagressive stopgap. Davis Mills has a shot to become a long-term starter. From week 8 onwards, his average statline in games he started was 24/35 for 261 yards, 2 touchdowns, and 1 pick. Those are average to above average starting QB numbers, period. Factoring in how little talent Mills was surrounded by, it's not crazy to suggest that he was in the top half of all starting quarterbacks down the stretch.

So anyways, if I was the Texans, I would be going all in on Mills. I would have hired an offensive head coach who can properly develop him, gameplan with him, and maximize his talent. I would be drafting mostly offense. But instead it looks like they're settling for another year of bottom feeding.

webny99

I too really question what the Texans are doing. It feels completely planless to hire another coach "for 2022", almost in admission that he could be gone after one season. I get that there's a ton of unknowns until the Watson situation is resolved, but knowing that, what on earth was wrong with keeping David Culley?

I'm also not sure about Josh McDaniels to the Raiders. It's another Texans-like situation where there was simply no need to move on from Rich Bisaccia IMO, all the more so because they had a successful late season run and made the playoffs. That also means expectations for him are going to be way higher than for any of the other first-year coaches. And I'm just not sure it's a cultural fit either. In many ways the Raiders are kind of like the anti-Patriots. Something about McDaniels in silver and black in a division with Herbert and Mahomes just doesn't add up.

Big John

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: webny99 on February 07, 2022, 09:47:14 PM
I too really question what the Texans are doing. It feels completely planless to hire another coach "for 2022", almost in admission that he could be gone after one season. I get that there's a ton of unknowns until the Watson situation is resolved, but knowing that, what on earth was wrong with keeping David Culley?

The Texans have the worst ownership in football.

"But what about the Jags?" I think the Jags want to win. Their owner is just too stupid to know what to do to get there

The Texans know exactly what they're doing. They have zero interest in winning. Their ownership family are known to hate the players. They're going to do it on the cheap as long as the shared money keeps rolling in.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

thspfc

Quote from: Big John on February 07, 2022, 10:23:16 PM
Brian Flores' attorney is saying his client wasn't hired by the Texans because of his lawsuit:  https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2022/02/07/brian-flores-claims-through-counsel-that-he-didnt-get-texans-job-due-to-lawsuit/
This is a completely baseless claim. Flores shouldn't be watering down his legitimate accusations with other nonsense like this.

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 08, 2022, 12:08:35 AM

"But what about the Jags?" I think the Jags want to win. Their owner is just too stupid to know what to do to get there

The Texans know exactly what they're doing. They have zero interest in winning. Their ownership family are known to hate the players. They're going to do it on the cheap as long as the shared money keeps rolling in.

I agree, even though the Texans are 4-0 against the Jags the past two seasons it seems like their ownership and front office are much more malicious. And I think the Jags made a sensible, or at least not terrible, coach hire with Doug Pederson.

ethanhopkin14

Quote from: webny99 on February 08, 2022, 07:56:42 AM
Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on February 08, 2022, 12:08:35 AM

I agree, even though the Texans are 4-0 against the Jags the past two seasons it seems like their ownership and front office are much more malicious. And I think the Jags made a sensible, or at least not terrible, coach hire with Doug Pederson.

The funniest thing was when the Oilers skipped town, everyone said "you got rid of Bud Adams!  You are now better off."  Only to get even more inept ownership. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.