News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayhawkCO

Quote from: CoreySamson on March 15, 2022, 03:23:24 PM
I'm watching the Deshaun Watson sweepstakes with interest. Here's what I think about what each team in the running.

- Saints: NOLA does have a somewhat good roster that nearly got them into playoff contention last year despite quarterback troubles. They're probably the team best suited to deal with any potential suspension, as Winston and Hill are both decent backups who can fill in if necessary. If they were to make a trade, I would like to see Kamara join the Texans.

- Browns: Okay, this one I do not like. No offense to Baker Mayfield, but if the Browns were to trade him I think he would cause more drama than he's worth for the Texans. I want to see the Texans rebuild under Davis Mills. Adding a similar quarterback who may be exiting his prime does not appeal to me. Maybe as part of a three-way deal this could work (Side note, if this trade were to take place who would be considered the 5th best quarterback in the NFC? Kirk Cousins?)

- Panthers: This one makes sense on all sides. Panthers need a quarterback, Deshaun Watson played college near there, Panthers can load off CMC, who I think would be a great fit for the Texans.

You missed that Atlanta is also apparently in the mix. Would also make sense since Matt Ryan could start this year if Watson gets suspended.

webny99

So basically the entire NFC South except the team that just got the GOAT back, LOL!  :sombrero:

thspfc

Everyone is leaving Cleveland, and I for one am here for it.

Big John

Quote from: thspfc on March 15, 2022, 11:02:49 PM
Amari Cooper?

plain

The Giants signed QB Tyrod Taylor.
Newark born, Richmond bred

jlam

Quote from: plain on March 16, 2022, 07:14:00 PM
Now watch Daniel Jones become the next Tom Brady.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on March 15, 2022, 11:02:49 PM

The whole thing with the Browns and Mayfield has such strange energy. It seems basically impossible for Browns fans to feel good about any of this. You obviously don't like it if you're a Mayfield fan, but even if you're not, it's hard to see a clear plan forward, certainly it seems unlikely that Mayfield will return in 2022 and with Watson being the main upgrade option, that's still a pretty murky situation as well. Whatever ends up happening, I think the organization is overreacting to last year and has badly mishandled this whole situation.

webny99

plain

Quote from: jlam on March 16, 2022, 08:48:56 PM
Quote from: plain on March 16, 2022, 07:14:00 PM
Now watch Daniel Jones become the next Tom Brady.

If we get back to the winning side of things because of it then I'm good  :-D
Newark born, Richmond bred

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: webny99 on March 16, 2022, 10:10:03 PM
Hard pivot: Von Miller to the Bills!

https://www.nfl.com/news/pass-rusher-von-miller-signing-with-bills-on-six-year-120m-deal

This is a big commitment to a 33-year old linebacker, regardless of his resume. Bills fans had better hope it works out.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

webny99

Quote from: TheHighwayMan394 on March 17, 2022, 02:25:37 AM

https://www.nfl.com/news/pass-rusher-von-miller-signing-with-bills-on-six-year-120m-deal

This is a big commitment to a 33-year old linebacker, regardless of his resume. Bills fans had better hope it works out.

It is, but the Bills' window to win is right now, and from what I understand most of the guaranteed money is in the first years so they can get out of it if his play declines. The general vibe here is more just excitement that free agents actually want to come to Buffalo, which is a big shift from the past 2 decades of mediocrity.

DenverBrian

Very happy for Von getting paid. Very sad that Denver couldn't work something out.

ethanhopkin14

Also, the Bills and Cole Beasley are parting ways.  Being a Cowboys fan and seeing the team lose 2 wide receivers this week, it would be nice to get him back.   

webny99

Quote from: ethanhopkin14 on March 17, 2022, 03:03:06 PM
Also, the Bills and Cole Beasley are parting ways.  Being a Cowboys fan and seeing the team lose 2 wide receivers this week, it would be nice to get him back.

You can have him, frankly  :biggrin: He was good for the Bills for 3 seasons, but I think Isaiah McKenzie has higher upside and I have no problem with them moving on.

thspfc

Rams sign Allen Robinson. I'm almost never against loading up at the skill positions, but I don't like this move. Their #1 receiver is the best player in the league. Their #2 and #3 receivers on their own would be one of the best 1-2 punches in the NFL. Their #4 receiver could be a #2 on many teams. How many WRs do you need? The Rams use 3 wide receiver sets about as frequently as anyone in the league. This ensures that on almost every down, TWO of Kupp, Woods, OBJ, Robinson, and Jefferson will be on the sideline. What is the point of that? They just lost an excellent pass blocking left tackle, and they're splurging on adding a 5th starting-caliber WR after basically Kupp and OBJ alone got them the production needed to win the SB.

The only way this move ends up being justified is if Robinson goes for like 1500 yds and 15 TDs, or if the Rams get 2+ major injuries to WRs.

webny99

Quote from: thspfc on March 17, 2022, 04:30:52 PM
The only way this move ends up being justified is if Robinson goes for like 1500 yds and 15 TDs, or if the Rams get 2+ major injuries to WRs.

... or if OBJ doesn't come back to the Rams next season.

triplemultiplex

Brady should have to play for the Jets as penance for changing his mind about retirement. :-D
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on March 17, 2022, 04:41:42 PM
Quote from: thspfc on March 17, 2022, 04:30:52 PM

... or if OBJ doesn't come back to the Rams next season.
Even then it's still not necessary.

Big John

Packers trade WR Adams to the Raiders.

webny99

Quote from: Big John on March 17, 2022, 08:19:34 PM

The arms race in the AFC Wild West continues! I'll set the over/under for combined wins by the AFC West at 40.5.

webny99

Quote from: webny99 on March 17, 2022, 10:27:21 PM

The arms race in the AFC Wild West continues! I'll set the over/under for combined wins by the AFC West at 40.5.

However, now that I think about it, I think the bigger story is the fact that Adams is going to a much tougher division in a much tougher conference, to a team with a worse (though still good) QB and probably a worse roster. I know everything is about the money, but there are reports that the Packers made an offer the same as the Raiders and Adams chose to move on anyways.

It seems pretty clear that this trade significantly lowers the odds of a Super Bowl title for 1) the Packers franchise, 2) Aaron Rodgers, and 3) Davante Adams. And I would imagine Rodgers isn't too thrilled given that Adams was by far his top WR. What am I missing here?   :confused:

kurumi

Quote from: triplemultiplex on March 17, 2022, 07:18:53 PM
Brady should have to play for the Jets as penance for changing his mind about retirement. :-D

Belichick storms into Brady's room, carrying a deflated football. "This yours? Your mother said she found it in your closet!"

Brady: "Look, Dad, it's-"

Belichick: "Where did you get it? Answer me! Who taught you how to do this stuff?"

Brady "You, all right? I learned it by watching you!"
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

webny99

Quote from: tchafe1978 on March 18, 2022, 09:58:01 AM
Quote from: webny99 on March 18, 2022, 08:16:25 AM

However, now that I think about it, I think the bigger story is the fact that Adams is going to a much tougher division in a much tougher conference, to a team with a worse (though still good) QB and probably a worse roster. I know everything is about the money, but there are reports that the Packers made an offer the same as the Raiders and Adams chose to move on anyways.

It seems pretty clear that this trade significantly lowers the odds of a Super Bowl title for 1) the Packers franchise, 2) Aaron Rodgers, and 3) Davante Adams. And I would imagine Rodgers isn't too thrilled given that Adams was by far his top WR. What am I missing here?   :confused:

Rodgers aparrently knew the Adams trade was in the works when he was renegotiating his own contract, so he was plenty aware of what was going on. Now the Packers can use cap space they would've used on Adams towards signing or trading for another #1 reciever and now they also have two more draft picks to potentially use on a receiver. Also, this brings the "Last dance" posts from last summer by Adams and Rodgers full circle, as it was really their last dance together. Though it wasn't Rodgers leaving like everyone was predicting, but Adams instead.

I guess that makes sense (now that I fixed your quote for you  :-P).

CoreySamson

Wow.

https://sports.yahoo.com/report-deshaun-watson-traded-to-cleveland-browns-194855151.html

Watson is reportedly going to the Browns. Texans get 3 first-rounders and 2 second-rounders.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

skluth

Quote from: webny99 on March 18, 2022, 03:01:32 PM
Quote from: tchafe1978 on March 18, 2022, 09:58:01 AM
Quote from: webny99 on March 18, 2022, 08:16:25 AM

Rodgers aparrently knew the Adams trade was in the works when he was renegotiating his own contract, so he was plenty aware of what was going on. Now the Packers can use cap space they would've used on Adams towards signing or trading for another #1 reciever and now they also have two more draft picks to potentially use on a receiver. Also, this brings the "Last dance" posts from last summer by Adams and Rodgers full circle, as it was really their last dance together. Though it wasn't Rodgers leaving like everyone was predicting, but Adams instead.

I guess that makes sense (now that I fixed your quote for you  :-P).

Two other factors. 1) Packers are 6-0 with Rodgers but without Adams over the last couple years when Adams has missed games. 2) Adams and Carr are very close friends. They were roommates at Fresno State and have continued to be close friends over the years. Adams actually wants to play football again with Carr.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.