News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

epzik8

That was a win of all-time for my squad
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: mgk920 on October 14, 2022, 12:25:38 AM
For many years now I've been calling for the NFL to issue the same yellow and red cards that are used by the fútbol refs to its on-the-field officiating crews, complete with all of their AWESOME powers.  ALL personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct fouls would rate at least a 'yellow card'.  I can imagine that the looming spectre of having to play the rest of a big game with only ten (and maybe even FEWER) men on the field would be a HUGE incentive for those guys to behave.

:poke:

mike

So they sort of do this, without the colored cards. A second unsportsmanlike penalty in a game is an automatic ejection.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

hotdogPi

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 14, 2022, 07:58:44 AM
Quote from: mgk920 on October 14, 2022, 12:25:38 AM
For many years now I've been calling for the NFL to issue the same yellow and red cards that are used by the fútbol refs to its on-the-field officiating crews, complete with all of their AWESOME powers.  ALL personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct fouls would rate at least a 'yellow card'.  I can imagine that the looming spectre of having to play the rest of a big game with only ten (and maybe even FEWER) men on the field would be a HUGE incentive for those guys to behave.

:poke:

mike

So they sort of do this, without the colored cards. A second unsportsmanlike penalty in a game is an automatic ejection.

Without the loss of a player, though.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

triplemultiplex

Well for a full contact game where you need a hat on a hat, as they say, that would be a fundamental change to the game that I don't think would work at all. This isn't like soccer or hockey where one team can kind of dick around passing the ball/puck around stalling for time without trying to advance.  Those sports don't have a play clock or shot clock, so they're capable of absorbing the temporary loss of a player during the game.
"That's just like... your opinion, man."

JayhawkCO

Forgot to do my picks before yesterday. I would have probably picked the Bears, so lucky me.

Jaguars over Colts
Vikings over Dolphins
49ers over Falcons
Patriots over Browns
Packers over Jets
Bengals over Saints
Ravens over Giants
Bucs over Steelers
Rams over Panthers
Seahawks over Cardinals
Chiefs over Bills
Eagles over Cowboys
Chargers over Broncos

webny99

I can't remember an early window I've enjoyed as much as this one.

Five upset wins, the Giants are 5-1, the Vikings are a real threat to win the NFC North, the Packers might not coast to a top seed with a fraudulent record for the first time in four years, and the Jets are 4-2. AFC North looks like a slugfest as always, and the NFC West is up for grabs. And the Falcons might be good! The only bad thing is a leftover bad taste from the Grady Jarret call against the Bucs last week. If not for that, the Falcons and Saints would be right there in the division and I would be happily getting ready to FORK the Bucs.

And the clear top four teams play each other later today.

epzik8

Ravens lost to their old defensive coordinator, the guy whose firing delighted most of their fans.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

NWI_Irish96

NFL needs to move the Bills or Chiefs to the NFC because we need a few Bills-Chiefs Super Bowls over the next ten years.

TheHighwayMan3561

2021 Vikings had 5 one-score games in their first 6 games. They were 2-3 in those.

2022 Vikings have had 4 one-score games in their first 6. 4-0.`
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

plain

Everyone who picks the Giants to lose, please continue to do so. Almost guarantees us the opposite  :bigass:
Newark born, Richmond bred

kurumi

2 games is a small sample, but Bailey Zappe is 2-0 so far, and his team outscoring opponents (Detroit and Cleveland) 67-15.

I'm also picking the Giants and Jets to run the table for the rest of the season. Go Giants and Jets!
My first SF/horror short story collection is available: "Young Man, Open Your Winter Eye"

JayhawkCO

jayhawkco
Giants (+20)
Panthers (+20)
Seahawks (+20)
Jets (+20)
Falcons (+20)
Browns (+20)
Jaguars (+20)
Lions (+20)
Bears (+20)
Commanders (+20)
Cardinals (+15)
Cowboys (+15)
Steelers (+15)
Raiders (+15)
Patriots (+15)
Broncos (+13)

Fork the Texans and the Saints.

thspfc

Quote from: JayhawkCO on October 17, 2022, 10:38:42 AM
jayhawkco
Giants (+20)
Panthers (+20)
Seahawks (+20)
Jets (+20)
Falcons (+20)
Browns (+20)
Jaguars (+20)
Lions (+20)
Bears (+20)
Commanders (+20)
Cardinals (+15)
Cowboys (+15)
Steelers (+15)
Raiders (+15)
Patriots (+15)
Broncos (+13)

Fork the Texans and the Saints.
And that's 18. You've got 314 points. We'll see if the aggressive strategy pays off.

I'm going for 5 forks this round and 2 the round after that, which will bring me to 18 with 285 points.

Starting with the next points period I'll update the table weekly showing who is in playoff position and how that affects everyone's totals.

JayhawkCO

And I still might have to do more if the Giants keep this up.

webny99

Wait a second... shouldn't the number of teams you can fork be capped at 18?

JayhawkCO

Quote from: webny99 on October 17, 2022, 02:43:35 PM

I mean, I'm eating the punishment for being wrong, right?

NWI_Irish96

If one of your forks ends up looking likely to make the playoffs, I suppose you could do more.

I think most, if not all of us, forked the Jets and they're looking good right now.

thspfc

Hmm . . . I was planning on not being able to go over 18, and I thought that went without saying. But it might be kinda interesting.

If we decide we're okay with more than 18, I think there should be a rule that the number of extra teams on your list has to be the same as or larger than the number of teams on your list that have clinched a playoff berth at all times. That is to say, if you're going to fork a 19th team, you have to do it before any of your forked teams clinch a playoff berth. If you're going to fork a 20th, you have to do it when at most one team on your list has clinched.

What does everyone think?

thspfc

Also, I doubt anyone would be petty enough to do this, but you can't fork a team while they're playing. So if (when) the Bears need to win to stay in contention and they're down by 30 in the 4th and you haven't forked them yet, you can't steal the points by waiting for the game to be decided.

JayhawkCO

Russ looks terrible. Even on his 47 yard connection to Hamler, he underthrew it by about 7 yards. It was an easy TD if he actually got it out there.

webny99

Quote from: NWI_Irish96 on October 17, 2022, 02:48:12 PM

If one of your forks ends up looking likely to make the playoffs, I suppose you could do more.

I think most, if not all of us, forked the Jets and they're looking good right now.

That just means most of us were wrong about the Jets. Anyone who kept them alive looks like they may have made a smart play.

Similarly anyone who forked the Panthers and Texans looks very justified; meanwhile I waited to fork the Panthers and (probably) lost easy points by doing so.

Quote from: thspfc on October 17, 2022, 04:23:44 PM
Hmm . . . I was planning on not being able to go over 18, and I thought that went without saying. But it might be kinda interesting.

If we decide we're okay with more than 18, I think there should be a rule that the number of extra teams on your list has to be the same as or larger than the number of teams on your list that have clinched a playoff berth at all times. That is to say, if you're going to fork a 19th team, you have to do it before any of your forked teams clinch a playoff berth. If you're going to fork a 20th, you have to do it when at most one team on your list has clinched.

What does everyone think?

I thought so too, otherwise you could fork all 32 and guarantee 18 correct, which kind of defeats the purpose. Being right is just as important a component of the game as being aggressive, so allowing extras would be sort of like a reward for being wrong. In other words, the only reason you would need to fork more than 18 would be if you were wrong about some of your forks. But everyone is going to be wrong about some, that's just inevitable. That's why it's part of the strategy of the game to be aggressive, but not too aggressive (IMO).

There's also the 30-point penalty for an incorrect fork, so there would at least be an incentive to get any new forks in ASAP to make up those losses.

(I agree that, if we do allow extras, the # of extra teams must be ≥ # of clinched playoff teams.)

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on October 18, 2022, 08:32:43 AM
There's also the 15-point penalty for an incorrect fork, so there would at least be an incentive to get any new forks in ASAP to make up those losses.

I thought it was a 30-yard point penalty.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

JayhawkCO

I'd say let's just keep it at 18. Looks like I'm done. :)

webny99

Quote from: 1 on October 18, 2022, 08:34:09 AM
Quote from: webny99 on October 18, 2022, 08:32:43 AM
There's also the 15-point penalty for an incorrect fork, so there would at least be an incentive to get any new forks in ASAP to make up those losses.

I thought it was a 30-yard point penalty.

Whoops, you're right. 30 points it is.

jgb191

I was very pleased to see the Philadelphia Eagles get the victory Sunday Night; great for them!   I would like to think that the Eagles can it to another Super Bowl this February.  Also, my Texans finally remove a devastating three-year-long cancer (in the form of a former executive VP) yesterday to help bolster the rebuilding process.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.