News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

NFL (2024 Season)

Started by webny99, February 04, 2020, 02:35:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

I must admit that I found Week 1 to be rather low-octane so far outside of the great Dolphins-Chargers showdown (and rather depressing for several NFC teams with high expectations for this season).

But Week 2 should make up for that. Almost every matchup has some real intrigue... Mahomes vs. Lawrence, Stroud vs. Richardson, Bengals looking to avoid 0-2 against the Ravens, and a Rodgers vs. Cowboys rematch.

Dough4872

Quote from: Great Lakes Roads on September 10, 2023, 11:20:29 PM
NYG got beat pretty badly... 40-0 against the Dallas Cowboys...  :-/

Wow I was not expecting that, thought it was gonna be a close game.

jgb191

Texans set up CJ Stroud for a beating by announcing him as their starting QB, and the Ravens must have studied him well as they made the most of the Texans announcement.  The Ravens targeted CJ and sacked him six times.

Like I said a couple weeks ago, never help your opponents by announcing your lineup.  Let that be a painful lesson learned because something like this happens.  I hope the Texans now realize that giving them a heads up as to who you plan to play means the opposition will study your players exceedingly well and be well prepared as the Ravens certainly were on Sunday.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

hotdogPi

What are you supposed to do instead? I thought things like this were public knowledge for every team.
Clinched

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

jeffandnicole

Quote from: jgb191 on September 11, 2023, 05:11:58 PM
Texans set up CJ Stroud for a beating by announcing him as their starting QB, and the Ravens must have studied him well as they made the most of the Texans announcement.  The Ravens targeted CJ and sacked him six times.

Like I said a couple weeks ago, never help your opponents by announcing your lineup.  Let that be a painful lesson learned because something like this happens.  I hope the Texans now realize that giving them a heads up as to who you plan to play means the opposition will study your players exceedingly well and be well prepared as the Ravens certainly were on Sunday.

You do realize this is what every major league team in every sport does right? The starters are well known. The backups are well known. Every team has tape on every other player and every other team. This isn't some hiccup by the Texans. Every team announces their starters, and provides injury reports to the NFL.

Big John

Quote from: jeffandnicole on September 11, 2023, 05:20:45 PM

You do realize this is what every major league team in every sport does right? The starters are well known. The backups are well known. Every team has tape on every other player and every other team. This isn't some hiccup by the Texans. Every team announces their starters, and provides injury reports to the NFL.
Though some teame (hiccup New England) will list every player as "questionable" on the injury report.

JayhawkCO

Either that or Stroud is a rookie and can't avoid sacks, just like almost every other rookie and Baltimore has an opportunistic defense.

jgb191

I understand that teams are required to submit their active roster to the league (I don't know how soon though), but I don't like that requirement.  I would say it's better to keep your next opponent guessing up until game time, the Texans announced CJ two weeks in advance, that's way too much time you gave the Ravens defense to prepare for him.  It's just like in school:  would you rather have only two days to study for a major exam or be given two weeks time to study?  I guess that was the point I was trying to make.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Alps

You realize that basically every team announces who their starting QB is before the season begins, right? Because that lends confidence to the QB and gives the other players someone to focus on and work with.

Ted$8roadFan

I mean, a team's starting QB is the highest profile, highest paid, most important player on the team, without whom there would literally not be a game. So everyone knows who the QB is, their attributes, warts and all

jakeroot

Quote from: webny99 on September 11, 2023, 03:33:43 PM
I must admit that I found Week 1 to be rather low-octane so far outside of the great Dolphins-Chargers showdown...

This was the only game I watched, but boy was it worth waking up for at 5am. What a game.

Rather unimpressed by Fangio's defense, to be honest.

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jgb191 on September 11, 2023, 05:57:11 PM

I understand that teams are required to submit their active roster to the league (I don't know how soon though), but I don't like that requirement.  I would say it's better to keep your next opponent guessing up until game time, the Texans announced CJ two weeks in advance, that's way too much time you gave the Ravens defense to prepare for him.  It's just like in school:  would you rather have only two days to study for a major exam or be given two weeks time to study?  I guess that was the point I was trying to make.

But to do that, you'd need to have two different guys taking first team reps at practice for all of training camp, which would be to the detriment of the eventual starter.

thspfc

Quote from: webny99 on September 11, 2023, 03:33:43 PM
I must admit that I found Week 1 to be rather low-octane so far outside of the great Dolphins-Chargers showdown (and rather depressing for several NFC teams with high expectations for this season).

But Week 2 should make up for that. Almost every matchup has some real intrigue... Mahomes vs. Lawrence, Stroud vs. Richardson, Bengals looking to avoid 0-2 against the Ravens, and a Rodgers vs. Cowboys rematch.
Soooo much to like about next week. To me the only snoozer is Giants/Cardinals, and even there, the Giants are about as desperate as can be in week 2.

Ted$8roadFan

Aaron Rodgers has left the game vs. Bills with an ankle/calf issue.......

Alps

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on September 11, 2023, 08:40:43 PM
The Jets are now a guaranteed snoozer weeks 2-18

Hunty2022

Was looking forward to my Cowboys and Giants playing Rodgers and the Jets... that's likely not happening.
100th Post: 11/10/22
250th Post: 12/3/22
500th Post: 3/12/23
1000th Post: 11/12/23

Hunty Roads (under construction):
https://huntyroadsva.blogspot.com

thspfc

Quote from: Alps on September 11, 2023, 09:12:44 PM
The Jets are now a guaranteed snoozer weeks 2-18
Not week 1 though. What an effort.

Find two consecutive losses that were more catastrophic than the ones the Bills have (divisional round and now tonight).

jakeroot

More confident than ever of the Dolphins clinching AFC East.

webny99

I don't know what to make of the Bills-Jets showdown on MNF other than that it will be remembered by fans of both teams for a long time, (but hopefully quickly forgotten by Josh Allen)... and the Jets may have lost Rodgers to an Achilles injury which would be a HUGE blow and absolutely the most Jets thing ever... just like losing to the Jets with no Rodgers was absolutely the most Bills thing ever and 100% guaranteed once Rodgers went down. There was no way the Jets were going to lose Rodgers and the game, and the Bills unsurprisingly played their part to ensure that. I honestly would have felt uneasy if the Bills had stolen a win after 4 Allen turnovers anyways. At that point, they deserved to lose, and it just felt like the Jets' night from the 2nd half on. Better to get a tough loss out of the way early, reset, and use it to get better than roll into Week 2 with an undeserved W.

That said, perspective is never more important than it is in week 1, so I don't think the loss is "catastrophic" for the Bills in any remotely comparable sense to the last three playoff losses. The Allen-era Bills have often struggled against the Jets, and the Jets have a truly elite defense, even better than last year (when they also beat the Bills with Zach Wilson, I might add). Division games are always weird, the Jets are a tough opponent, and the result was well within the realm of pregame expectations. The 2021 home opener loss to the Steelers was much worse IMO.

Dough4872

Hearing it might be a torn Achilles. MRI to be done today.

epzik8

Sorry about Aaron Rodgers
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jakeroot on September 11, 2023, 11:40:14 PM
More confident than ever of the Dolphins clinching AFC East.

If Tua doesn't die on the field (I wish I were being hyperbolic), they have a good chance.

Ted$8roadFan

mgk920

Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on September 12, 2023, 02:03:36 PM
Aaron Rodgers has a torn Achilles.

https://www.nfl.com/news/jets-qb-aaron-rodgers-suffered-torn-achilles-will-miss-remainder-of-season

And that is an injury that one can never truly recover from.  You may be back on the field in one or two seasons, but you'll never be the same.  Rodgers should retire to coaching or broadcasting.

:no:

Mike

Dough4872

Quote from: mgk920 on September 12, 2023, 03:11:16 PM
Quote from: Ted$8roadFan on September 12, 2023, 02:03:36 PM
Aaron Rodgers has a torn Achilles.

https://www.nfl.com/news/jets-qb-aaron-rodgers-suffered-torn-achilles-will-miss-remainder-of-season

And that is an injury that one can never truly recover from.  You may be back on the field in one or two seasons, but you'll never be the same.  Rodgers should retire to coaching or broadcasting.

:no:

Mike

Yeah agree, think his playing career is nearing an end.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.