News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Old Hwy 80

Started by Jessica6, May 01, 2014, 04:13:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jessica6

Hi all,

I am new here.  I adore old roads.  My question is has anyone checked out old Hwy 80 that goes through Mountain Springs, by Desert View Tower, etc. in southern California?  There was a rest stop supposedly below the tower but is no longer there.  Is there a trace of this rest stop, and does anyone have the road mapped out of its original location?  Thanks!

hotdogPi

Hello, and welcome!
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

Alex

Quote from: Jessica6 on May 01, 2014, 04:13:52 PM
Hi all,

I am new here.  I adore old roads.  My question is has anyone checked out old Hwy 80 that goes through Mountain Springs, by Desert View Tower, etc. in southern California?  There was a rest stop supposedly below the tower but is no longer there.  Is there a trace of this rest stop, and does anyone have the road mapped out of its original location?  Thanks!

Welcome to the board.

We have an array of coverage of Historic U.S. 80 in San Diego County on the site at https://www.aaroads.com/california/us-080_ca.html This includes photos in and around Desert View Tower.

Mike also has some Historic US 80 content on his site at http://socalregion.com/historic-highways/historic-us-80/

sdmichael

I-8 had a "vista point" on the pre-freeway alignment just past the In-Ko-Pah Park Road exit heading eastbound. I'm not sure when it closed but it has been closed for some time. I do need to add more maps and photos to my US 80 page... all in good time.

ARMOURERERIC

I live in Boulevard, I've been considering for some time to just take random pics and offer it up to you all.  I may be able to answer some questions about the area.

US81

sdmichael

As an update to my site - I have posted some photos showing that "rest area" on I-8. Hopefully that helps.

SquonkHunter

Welcome to the Forum. I am a recent member and a long time lurker here. Grew up close by the section of US 80 between Dallas and Fort Worth. 

ARMOURERERIC

If you go into the desert View Tower, there is a B&W photo of a restaurant along old 80, a path behind the restaurant, then 2 stone pylons on either side of the path and then the path goes up to the tower.  When you are on the topmost deck of the tower looking down you can still see those pylons either just inside or just outside of the ROW fence and the WB lanes of 8 running in a carved out 30 foot deep slot right where the restaurant was.  The parking lot fronted what was the new EB lanes of 80 near where that overlook was.

leroys73

Damn, is this another highway I must try to clinch.  I have traveled much of it but never thought about clinching it.  Now you have my curiosity aroused.
'73 Vette, '72 Monte Carlo, ;11 Green with Envy Challenger R/T,Ram, RoyalStarVenture S,USA Honda VTX1300R ridden 49states &11provinces,Driven cars in50 states+DC&21countries,OverseasBrats;IronButt:MileEatersilver,SS1000Gold,SS3000,3xSS2000,18xSS1000, 3TX1000,6BB1500,NPT,LakeSuperiorCircleTour

Neddyfram

Welcome to the Fourm, I'm New here too.
STATE LAW

Soon clearview will be the [glow=yellow,10,000]NEW[/glow] transport.  :-o

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.