Meta > Suggestions and Questions

Why do some images have vertical scroll bars?

(1/2) > >>

vdeane:
When browsing the forum, I've noticed that some images in posts have vertical scroll bars in them.  I can understand why a horizontal scroll bar might appear, if the image is too wide for the browser width, but what causes the vertical scroll bar?

Example: https://www.aaroads.com/forum/index.php?topic=17783.msg2748298#msg2748298

1:
That image has no vertical scroll bar on my screen.

webny99:
It does have a vertical scroll bar for me, yet it's pointless because I can see the whole image without scrolling.

Scott5114:
Since I know you run your own webpage, I'll give the technical explanation. My guess is that your browser defaults to overflow: scroll (or overflow: auto) for content too big to fit inside a block element, when overflow: visible is the standard.

I am seeing no scroll bars on Firefox 100.0 on Fedora Linux.

vdeane:

--- Quote from: Scott5114 on June 20, 2022, 06:04:14 PM ---Since I know you run your own webpage, I'll give the technical explanation. My guess is that your browser defaults to overflow: scroll (or overflow: auto) for content too big to fit inside a block element, when overflow: visible is the standard.

I am seeing no scroll bars on Firefox 100.0 on Fedora Linux.

--- End quote ---
Interesting.  I see two main takeaways from this:
1. This is likely a difference in how Firefox and Chromium-based browsers* render this.
2. A lot of images on the forum are evidently posted by Time Lords, since they're bigger on the inside.

*In theory all Chromium-based browsers should behave similarly, but given how many glitches HBO Max had for me in Chrome that vanished when I switched to Vivaldi, there are clearly differences.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version