News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ce929wax

Around 90 and humid.  I hope my grass dies so I don't have to mow it.

thspfc

Quote from: ce929wax on July 17, 2019, 04:38:46 PM
I hope my grass dies so I don't have to mow it.
That's the first time I've heard anybody say that.

Mark68

Hot. 91 currently (before noon), on our way to 99. 100 tomorrow.
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

Roadgeekteen

Much cooler with some rain.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Brandon

86 degrees F, with a dewpoint of 80 degrees F, making for a relative humidity of 81%, and a heat index of 100 degrees F.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Mark68

Quote from: Brandon on July 18, 2019, 05:11:36 PM
86 degrees F, with a dewpoint of 80 degrees F, making for a relative humidity of 81%, and a heat index of 100 degrees F.

Yuck!
"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."~Yogi Berra

MNHighwayMan

High temperature was 95 °F today, with a heat index of 106. Tomorrow is supposed to be even hotter, and the excessive heat warning for Iowa lasts until Saturday evening.

Good stuff. X-(

ce929wax

That's the first time I've heard anybody say that.
[/quote]

I'm lazy  :-P

Bruce

Cloudy with some light showers, in the mid 60s. Loveliest possible weather, no sarcasm.

Sadly this will give way to temps in the high 70s and spilling over into the 80s. We don't want to be scorched again.

Brandon

Oh, the dew point hit 83 last night.  There's a time and a place for air conditioning, and this is it.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

thspfc

Quote from: Bruce on July 19, 2019, 02:48:21 AM
Cloudy with some light showers, in the mid 60s. Loveliest possible weather, no sarcasm.

Sadly this will give way to temps in the high 70s and spilling over into the 80s. We don't want to be scorched again.
Wow, the weather is nice in Seattle.

*crickets*

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on July 19, 2019, 02:48:21 AM

Take it. I don't understand what's wrong with today's weather: mid-70s, sunny? Dry heat, open window perfect for cooling.

I don't want sun every day, but I like our local balance: clouds/rain in the fall and winter, sunnier and drier weather in spring and summer. Year-round rain seems like the kind of thing that an ultra pro-Seattle type of person would support, only because they have to (because rain defines us, frankly), not because it's nice.

hotdogPi

Rain prevents it from getting into the 90s.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Roadgeekteen

I would say hot as hell, but the weather is hotter than hell.

jakeroot

Quote from: 1 on July 19, 2019, 07:19:50 PM

Though hot, humid air, which causes those hot and sticky temperatures, is also what ends up causing afternoon thunderstorms. The East coast has some natural relief from hot temps. Pacific Coast? Not so much.

Around here, the Puget Sound generally keeps it from getting into the 90s. Until we get an eastern or southern wind.

Eth

While the Midwest and Northeast (metaphorically) burns, it's a perfectly standard July day here. 89 degrees with a dew point of 72 (heat index 96). Had some brief moderate rain around lunchtime, but the typical afternoon thunderstorms seem to be staying west in Alabama and Mississippi for now.

US 89

Quote from: jakeroot on July 20, 2019, 11:45:28 AM
Quote from: 1 on July 19, 2019, 07:19:50 PM

Though hot, humid air, which causes those hot and sticky temperatures, is also what ends up causing afternoon thunderstorms. The East coast has some natural relief from hot temps. Pacific Coast? Not so much.

Thing is, you can’t get a thunderstorm from moisture alone. A lot of times, even with very high humidity at the ground, what will happen is there’s a “cap” of stable air in the mid-levels of the atmosphere preventing storm development, and the cap is only broken if some sort of lifting mechanism is present. If not, you’ll get a vast area of hot, humid air without so much as a cloud in the sky.

MNHighwayMan

Quote from: US 89 on July 20, 2019, 04:41:08 PM
Thing is, you can't get a thunderstorm from moisture alone. A lot of times, even with very high humidity at the ground, what will happen is there's a "cap"  of stable air in the mid-levels of the atmosphere preventing storm development, and the cap is only broken if some sort of lifting mechanism is present. If not, you'll get a vast area of hot, humid air without so much as a cloud in the sky.

That's pretty much what happened the last couple days here: hot, humid air and few or no clouds.

The cap finally broke today, though! Two severe storms have passed through and dropped the temperature a ton. It finally dipped below 70°F for the first time in several days!

ipeters61

Went to the Delaware State Fair today for the first time this morning.  Insanely hot even at 10:30am.  I got ice cream and this was basically the result.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

Roadgeekteen

The weather today makes hell feel like Antarctica.

jakeroot

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on July 20, 2019, 08:40:14 PM
Quote from: US 89 on July 20, 2019, 04:41:08 PM
Thing is, you can't get a thunderstorm from moisture alone. A lot of times, even with very high humidity at the ground, what will happen is there's a "cap"  of stable air in the mid-levels of the atmosphere preventing storm development, and the cap is only broken if some sort of lifting mechanism is present. If not, you'll get a vast area of hot, humid air without so much as a cloud in the sky.

That's pretty much what happened the last couple days here: hot, humid air and few or no clouds.

The cap finally broke today, though! Two severe storms have passed through and dropped the temperature a ton. It finally dipped below 70°F for the first time in several days!

This is kind of what I was thinking. You can have a day or two of really hot, humid temperatures, but it is eventually relieved by a cold-front. In the case of Florida or sometimes the Mid-Atlantic and South, you can get some afternoon thunderstorms during those really hot, humid days. High temps and humidity alone will not cause a storm, of course (you need a cold-front or something), but it's an essential part of thunderstorm formation. It's also something that is relatively unusual out west. The west coast is a pretty dry heat, but the mountains here are usually what cause our thunderstorms (being that "lifting" mechanism).

Roadgeekteen

79 and sunny now, rain later today.

webny99

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 21, 2019, 10:21:05 AM
The weather today makes hell feel like Antarctica.

Such strong speaking. I really doubt it, to be honest.

Bruce

Mid 70s to low 80s all week, with sunshine to boot. Only a bit of haze obscuring the mountains.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.