News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Eth

The snow didn't make it all the way to Georgia, of course, but we did see a high of only 65 on Saturday; the average low for May 9 is 59. Fifteen degrees below normal, all told.

Station near me is currently reporting 39 as the sun rises; if accurate, that would set a new record low, shattering the previous mark of 45.

webny99

Quote from: Rothman on May 10, 2020, 01:00:50 AM
Quote from: Bruce on May 10, 2020, 12:53:53 AM
New daily record set today in Seattle: 86 F
[img snipped]
In the meantime, it snowed today in the Capital District of NY.

I was going to say, in the meantime it looks like social distancing has gone completely to pot.

1995hoo

So far this month, we're averaging 5.1° below normal temperatures. High yesterday was around 52°. I love it. No need to run heat, no need for AC, resulting in lower utility bills (and not having to bother changing the furnace filter).
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

webny99

Quote from: 1995hoo on May 10, 2020, 11:48:01 AM
So far this month, we're averaging 5.1° below normal temperatures. High yesterday was around 52°. I love it.

That's great down there in the sunny south, but not so much 400 miles north. We have been on the fence between winter and spring literally this entire time since the end of February, before the pandemic even hit. Thought we were in for an early spring, and then what? Temperature-wise, zero change between the average day in March and the average day in May.

I'm more than ready for a change at this point. I wish spring would just come to stay, but seriously, I think I'd rather 2 feet of snow tomorrow than more of the same old gray 40 degrees and the expected improvement that never comes. The false hope of spring has become symbolic of this pandemic at this point.

Flint1979

About 50 degrees here and just started raining.

Roadgeekteen

Around 60 and party cloudy.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Bruce

jakeroot

^^^
It was nice leaving my friend's house last night at 11pm and still having it be in the upper 60s (nothing for some, but warm at night for us). Then waking up at 0630 for a walk, and marching out in shorts and a T-shirt. Love it.

Winter's nice and all, but I've said it before: being able to wear the same thing inside and out is sooooo much nicer than having to change clothes and "layer up" all the time.

Bruce

Layering up does have its advantages, especially during a pandemic. Much easier to wear a mask, gloves, and sleeve covers when it's colder."

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on May 10, 2020, 09:17:09 PM
Layering up does have its advantages, especially during a pandemic. Much easier to wear a mask, gloves, and sleeve covers when it's colder."

That doesn't stop regular Washingtonians (particularly Seattleites) from bitching about how "hot it is" every time it gets above 75. Portlandian's don't even whine as much.

Layering up, to me, has exactly one advantage: you'll always be the right temperature. But, it's at the expense of comfort because you then have to ferry everything you've removed, basically offsetting the comfort gained from being the right temperature. Having to stuff the lower half of my zip-off pants into my pockets, or tying my jacket around my waist, is just annoying, especially because those layers were only necessary because of colder temperatures. If it were just warm, there'd be no reason to layer at all...hence why I like summer. I might bring an umbrella (gasp!) on a walk, but I can just strap it to my wrist or possibly (if it's taller) use it as a walking stick.

ozarkman417

After a few nice clear days, It will rain for almost a week. Perfect for my planned Upper Buffalo Nat'l River float trip next week.

Bruce

My standard gear is all-weather jeans, a short-sleeved t-shirt, and a light zip-up jacket. It's the best and most versatile combination for Seattle weather, and rarely fails me. If it's too stuffy, then I can open my jacket or stuff it in my bag (or throw it in the car, if that's an option). I don't wear shorts unless it's guaranteed to be too hot to deal with jeans or long-sleeved summer pants.

That aside, it is currently 10 pm and still above 80 in my room.

ozarkman417

Quote from: Bruce on May 11, 2020, 12:49:09 AM

Is that 80 degrees dry heat or humid heat? Humid heat can feel quite a bit hotter. Here, it is typically quite humid when it hits that temperature.

Bruce

The outdoor temperature right now is 68 degrees and 54% humidity

My indoor thermometer (in the living room) is showing 75 degrees and 43% humidity

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on May 11, 2020, 12:49:09 AM
My standard gear is all-weather jeans, a short-sleeved t-shirt, and a light zip-up jacket. It's the best and most versatile combination for Seattle weather, and rarely fails me. If it's too stuffy, then I can open my jacket or stuff it in my bag (or throw it in the car, if that's an option). I don't wear shorts unless it's guaranteed to be too hot to deal with jeans or long-sleeved summer pants.

Ahh! I can see where we differ. I wear shorts if it's above 60, although it needs to be about 65-68 before I will go short-sleeve minus light pullover. There is a good stretch of the year where I can comfortably go out without layering. Your standard gear is basically myself from late October to early April, although I might throw a vest on as well. Not to mention an umbrella (I don't subscribe to the "true Seattleites don't own umbrellas" nonsense).

You may want to consider a portable AC unit. I bought one in August 2016 for $650. Breaking that down, it's less than $15/month. Our electricity bill goes up during the summer, but it's still pretty damn cheap given how cheap electricity is here anyways. At the end of the day, not having to sweat at night is more than worth $15/month (plus the relatively negligible electricity cost).

Lots of locals refuse to invest in AC because it "doesn't get that hot". Which makes no sense to me, since those same people complain any time it hits 80. Which it does all. the. time.

Quote from: ozarkman417 on May 11, 2020, 12:52:18 AM
Is that 80 degrees dry heat or humid heat? Humid heat can feel quite a bit hotter. Here, it is typically quite humid when it hits that temperature.

I'd like to add that, by and large, Seattle is only humid during the winter. Summer weather is remarkably dry, with humid hot weather being fairly uncommon. Something like Orlando mid-July is basically unheard of. Probably the reason the PNW is so often ranked as having some of the best summer weather, and why the west coast in general is ranked similarly (Phoenix being left out for being too hot even with its relatively low humidity).

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Roadgeekteen

Roadgeekteen

Roadgeekteen

Roadgeekteen

High 70s with thunderstorms later in the day.

Roadgeekteen

Around 70 and partly cloudy.

Roadgeekteen

Cloudy, humid, and in the 60s.

US71

Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

Roadgeekteen

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Nearly 4 inches of rain over the last 24 hours at our house.
Plenty of flooding around Central Ohio this morning.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.