News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

US71

31 rain mixing with or changing to sleet. Looking for an overnight low around 25
Like Alice I Try To Believe Three Impossible Things Before Breakfast

kphoger

Temperatures here in Wichita have not been above the freezing point since overnight February 5-6, and they are not predicted to get up there again until the week-end after next.  If the forecast is correct, that will have been two solid weeks below 32°F.

We've had multiple days of light snow or flurries, with some more snow expected early next week.  The forecast for Monday currently has a low of —15°F, which I'm pretty sure would be the lowest temperature I've ever personally experienced here (I've experienced colder in Minnesota, but only by a few degrees).

In general, it kind of feels like I'm living back in Chicagoland, rather than a city at lower latitude than Louisville, KY.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

webny99

Quote from: kphoger on February 11, 2021, 12:37:15 PM
Temperatures here in Wichita have not been above the freezing point since overnight February 5-6, and they are not predicted to get up there again until the week-end after next.  If the forecast is correct, that will have been two solid weeks below 32°F.

Strikingly similar out here. The last time we had temps above freezing was midday on Friday Feb. 5th. Other than that day and the two days prior, it's been below freezing since at least January 27th. (https://www.timeanddate.com/weather/usa/rochester/historic)

Upthread, I set the over/under for when we'd see the grass again at Feb. 18th. With over a foot of snow still on the ground and more coming as we speak, it looks like we'll easily hit the over, surprising since much of January was snow-free and it's rare for us to go more than a week or two without a significant thaw.

Scott5114

Snow on the ground in central OK. More to come over the next few days. Some models are showing 14 inches (!!) on Sunday, and of course that's the one the for-profit forecasters have glommed onto. NWS isn't going out on that limb quite yet.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ozarkman417

Preliminary NWS forecasts expect as much as seven inches of snow for Springfield, MO (though at the moment, 5in seems the most likely). Springfield has not received more than 2.5 inches at one time since at least the mid 2010s. Windchills could get down to -20.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

JayhawkCO

3 degrees with a light dusting of snow.

Chris

ET21

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 11, 2021, 09:37:21 PM
Cold but sunny

Riveting...

We finally broke above 20 degrees for the first time in a week yesterday only to plunge back into the deep freeze for the weekend. Another chance of snow tonight and tomorrow and potentially the coldest Valentine's Day ever on Sunday.
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: ET21 on February 12, 2021, 09:03:59 AM
Cold but sunny

Riveting...

We finally broke above 20 degrees for the first time in a week yesterday only to plunge back into the deep freeze for the weekend. Another chance of snow tonight and tomorrow and potentially the coldest Valentine's Day ever on Sunday.

There is finally an above-freezing temperature in the 10-day forecast. Sunday 2/21 has an expected high of 34.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

CoreySamson

The snow is all but gone from next week's forecast, but it is still supposed to be super cold. Houston could go nearly a week below 50 degrees and Tuesday morning is now projected to be 16. This weekend will be historic.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

STLmapboy

Clear and sunny. We still have an inch of snow on the ground; due to the clouds and 20-degree weather, it's lingered for about a week, which is longer than any other snow this year has stayed.

Current temp 16 degrees.
Teenage STL area roadgeek.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

JayhawkCO

Quote from: jayhawkco on February 12, 2021, 08:47:38 AM
3 degrees with a light dusting of snow.

Chris

Four hours later and it's "warmed up" to 1.

Chris

kphoger

My sister and her husband got into town from Iowa yesterday, and the plan was to spend time with them at my parents' house tomorrow.  However, the forecast for Saturday night calls for less than four inches or up to ten inches of snow, depending on which forecast you look at.  So we're meeting up this evening instead, in case they need to bail out of town tomorrow to get ahead of the snow.
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

I've been seeing reports of overheated forecasts of as much as 14 inches of snow for my local area beginning Sunday.  I'm ordinarily not one to panic-buy, but as we just opened our last gallon jug of milk, I plan to be doing next week's shopping tonight rather than Saturday as usual.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

CoreySamson

The temperature has been in the upper 30s all day, and it has been cloudy. The temperature could reach single digits in some parts of Houston, but the official low forecast for Tuesday morning is 12 freakin' degrees! It may not get out of the 40s until Friday. This is surreal what is about to happen.

To really appreciate how shocking this weekend's weather will be, consider this metric: the record low for Houston on February 15th is 31 degrees. The high for Monday is 28. I know I keep going on about this, but I am excited.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

kkt

Snowing lightly now.  Expecting 2 to 4 inches by morning.

Bruce

Quote from: kkt on February 13, 2021, 12:38:10 AM
Snowing lightly now.  Expecting 2 to 4 inches by morning.

Enough to cause quite the show on I-5 tonight, with many spun out cars. Only saw a few plows.

STLmapboy

Quote from: STLmapboy on February 12, 2021, 12:38:41 PM
Clear and sunny. We still have an inch of snow on the ground; due to the clouds and 20-degree weather, it's lingered for about a week, which is longer than any other snow this year has stayed.

Current temp 16 degrees.
Snowed last night and into this morning. 5 degrees. Looks like the blanket of snow isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

I drove in it this morning. Saw no fewer than four accidents. There was barely any plowing done when I went out; local streets were completely untouched.

One car spun out and hit this exit sign. Here's a picture.

Missouri>>>>>Illinois

kphoger

Quote from: CoreySamson on February 13, 2021, 12:24:27 AM
the record low for Houston on February 15th is 31 degrees. The high for Monday is 28.

WOW !!
Male pronouns, please.

STLmapboy

Quote from: CoreySamson on February 13, 2021, 12:24:27 AM
The temperature has been in the upper 30s all day, and it has been cloudy. The temperature could reach single digits in some parts of Houston, but the official low forecast for Tuesday morning is 12 freakin' degrees! It may not get out of the 40s until Friday. This is surreal what is about to happen.

To really appreciate how shocking this weekend's weather will be, consider this metric: the record low for Houston on February 15th is 31 degrees. The high for Monday is 28. I know I keep going on about this, but I am excited.
That is weird! Is their any precip? A good friend of mine is supposed to fly DFW-IAH-LFT (Dallas to Houston to Lafayette) on United on Monday and they sent out a waiver.
Missouri>>>>>Illinois

TravelingBethelite

Sunny and cold now, but it'll get worse. Forecast highs for both tomorrow and Monday are in the 1 to 4 degree range, with forecast lows ranging from -2 to -7. The cold is partially justified by another system, the one projected to give a wallop to the southern Plains and lower Mississippi River Valley, looking to give us 2 to 5 inches of snow between around noon Sunday and early Monday morning. (The cold itself might be justified, but just not how cold it is.) Though fortunately, we should finally be on the upswing through next week, potentially reaching back above freezing  by next Friday with a forecast high in the low to mid 30's. Can't believe I'd be excited by that but here we are.  :spin:
"Imprisoned by the freedom of the road!" - Ronnie Milsap
See my photos at: http://bit.ly/1Qi81ws

Now I decide where I go...

2018 Ford Fusion SE - proud new owner!

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

ET21

Quote from: cabiness42 on February 12, 2021, 10:40:29 AM
Quote from: ET21 on February 12, 2021, 09:03:59 AM
Cold but sunny

Riveting...

There is finally an above-freezing temperature in the 10-day forecast. Sunday 2/21 has an expected high of 34.

Yeah we finally see the 20s again by Wednesday and potentially the 30s by next weekend, a heat wave!

Texas is about to shut down for a week, there are parts that have no snow removal equipment or tools and with already one ice storm down and potentially two larger ice/snow storms enroute.... oh boy
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

1995hoo

I'm not sure I could open the car door without some serious effort if I wanted to go somewhere (I don't, especially as it's starting to get dark).

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

NWI_Irish96

3 more inches of snow last night/today. Probably close to 2 feet total on the ground now. I've run the snowblower more the past two weeks than the previous three years combined. Temperature expected to drop below zero again tonight.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.