News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruce

The North Sound tends to have cooler temperatures (maybe because of the convergence zone?), but also has more green zones to break up the urban heat islands.

Roadgeekteen

Around 70 with a chance of rain and thunderstorms.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

ET21

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 08, 2021, 01:25:45 PM

You get to deal with Elsa
The local weatherman, trust me I can be 99.9% right!
"Show where you're going, without forgetting where you're from"

Clinched:
IL: I-88, I-180, I-190, I-290, I-294, I-355, IL-390
IN: I-80, I-94
SD: I-190
WI: I-90, I-94
MI: I-94, I-196
MN: I-90

hotdogPi

Quote from: ET21 on July 09, 2021, 08:54:31 AM
Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 08, 2021, 01:25:45 PM

You get to deal with Elsa

While I haven't actually seen the movie, there was no snow here (except for remnants of a parking lot pile at the Mall at Rockingham Park). Hail (which I did see, but not on the day Roadgeekteen posted) is not snow.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Roadgeekteen

70s and raining. Flash flood warning. Wonderful summer lol.

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Roadgeekteen

ozarkman417

Severe Thunderstorms associated with a cold front will bring 1-2 inches of rain to my area, and are expected to arrive late this evening. Tomorrow's high will be 74.

Roadgeekteen

CoreySamson

Finally dried out from the low pressure system that was sitting over Corpus, currently sitting at 90 degrees and partly cloudy. Also, the Saharan dust is back, making the sky dull light blue, almost greyish at times. And more's on the way later this week. Also, after today, there may not be another 90 degree day for a couple of weeks in my locale. Our weather is weird.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Roadgeekteen

It ended up raining a bit. And now there's a flash flood watch lol.

Max Rockatansky

About 90F at the campground north of Oakhurst at 6,000 feet above sea level.  It ended up being 109F when I returned to Fresno this afternoon.

US 89

A layer of relatively thick smoke has moved into the Salt Lake area over the past couple days. Most of it is originating from the Beckwourth Complex fires in California, though the Bootleg Fire in Oregon and some smaller fires in Idaho may also be contributing.

It was enough to hold yesterday's high temp down to a slightly more reasonable 97. Unfortunately, it didn't do much in that regard today - our afternoon high was 104. Tomorrow will likely be similar. After that, a push of monsoon moisture will enter Utah from the south, but as of now it looks like it won't be enough to bring any real threat of decent rainfall to northern Utah. If we get anything it will probably be of the dry microburst variety. Southern Utah, on the other hand, may be looking at a couple days of flash flooding threats.

Roadgeekteen

Bruce

In the past 4 weeks, we've only had 2 or 3 days below 70, and many of those days above 75 or 80. No rain at all.

Last night I had a dream about rain. I miss it.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: Bruce on July 12, 2021, 05:38:07 PM
In the past 4 weeks, we've only had 2 or 3 days below 70, and many of those days above 75 or 80. No rain at all.

Can we trade? It's rained like every day for the past week here.

hotdogPi

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on July 12, 2021, 06:06:10 PM
Quote from: Bruce on July 12, 2021, 05:38:07 PM

Can we trade? It's rained like every day for the past week here.

No. Low 70s and rain is better than 90s.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Roadgeekteen

Roadgeekteen

High in the 80s and partly cloudy.

kphoger

Quote from: jakeroot on July 07, 2021, 02:06:17 PM
I just wish there were a stronger embrace of AC around here. We worry a lot about our natural environment during the summer, and it's time to start worrying more about ourselves. Heat is a huge killer, and we have a lot of older people in this area living in homes without AC. That has to change.

Have the heat-related deaths been occurring inside people's homes?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on July 14, 2021, 01:30:39 PM
Quote from: jakeroot on July 07, 2021, 02:06:17 PM
I just wish there were a stronger embrace of AC around here. We worry a lot about our natural environment during the summer, and it's time to start worrying more about ourselves. Heat is a huge killer, and we have a lot of older people in this area living in homes without AC. That has to change.

Have the heat-related deaths been occurring inside people's homes?

Yes. That's where most of the bodies have been found. They are still finding people who don't have frequent welfare checks.

Also homeless people. Point is: people with nowhere to cool off are going to struggle with heat.

kphoger

I've read that greater heat than one is used to can exacerbate existing underlying conditions to such a point.  It just surprises me that it frequently occurs within the home, rather than out and about in the weather.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on July 14, 2021, 04:21:42 PM
I've read that greater heat than one is used to can exacerbate existing underlying conditions to such a point.  It just surprises me that it frequently occurs within the home, rather than out and about in the weather.

It's hotter outside, but it's also hot indoors as well. If you have no AC, and your home was not designed in any way to dissipate heat, it's going to become miserably hot and very nearly, if not absolutely, unlivable indoors. Most people can find ways to rectify the issue (only 500 to 1000 are thought to have perished thus far), but there are others that may not be able to (mobility, most likely, plus underlying conditions). Western WA/OR is also, logically, a frequent move-spot for those who have trouble regulating their body heat, such as those with anhidrosis or chronic dehydration, since it doesn't normally get outrageously hot here; they should be prepared (my father has anhidrosis so we have always had AC growing up), but that's no guarantee, sadly.

US 89

Another hot day in Salt Lake today, with a high of 96 (which, believe it or not, is the second-lowest high we've had this month). A few thunderstorms moved through some southern areas of the Wasatch Front today, but southern and eastern Utah got the good stuff today with numerous severe thunderstorm and flash flood warnings being issued throughout the region. The biggest thunderstorms formed in and west of Cedar City late this afternoon, dropping quarter size hail and also featuring some rather strong velocity rotation signatures on radar. They then organized into a squall line that hit St. George with severe winds. Flooding was reported in both cities as well as along some other, more rural highways.

And as if all that wasn't enough, a tornado touched down in Huntington, Emery County today. It was a weak landspout that did little to no damage, but it appears to have been the state's first tornado since May 2018.

hotdogPi

Quote from: jakeroot on July 14, 2021, 10:23:16 PM

It's hotter outside, but it's also hot indoors as well. If you have no AC, and your home was not designed in any way to dissipate heat, it's going to become miserably hot and very nearly, if not absolutely, unlivable indoors. Most people can find ways to rectify the issue (only 500 to 1000 are thought to have perished thus far), but there are others that may not be able to (mobility, most likely, plus underlying conditions). Western WA/OR is also, logically, a frequent move-spot for those who have trouble regulating their body heat, such as those with anhidrosis or chronic dehydration, since it doesn't normally get outrageously hot here; they should be prepared (my father has anhidrosis so we have always had AC growing up), but that's no guarantee, sadly.

My previous house didn't have working central air conditioning, so we had a room air conditioner, which was put in an unused room (most of the outdoor windows didn't open, but that one did), not any of the rooms we used. The days in the 90s were mildly uncomfortable but not enough that you would get sick or die. Once it becomes nighttime, you could go outside and it would be fine. In addition, indoors, the first day was fine; it would only become an issue with two or more days in a row.
Clinched, plus MA 286

jakeroot

Quote from: 1 on July 15, 2021, 06:09:53 AM
Quote from: jakeroot on July 14, 2021, 10:23:16 PM

My previous house didn't have working central air conditioning, so we had a room air conditioner, which was put in an unused room (most of the outdoor windows didn't open, but that one did), not any of the rooms we used. The days in the 90s were mildly uncomfortable but not enough that you would get sick or die. Once it becomes nighttime, you could go outside and it would be fine. In addition, indoors, the first day was fine; it would only become an issue with two or more days in a row.

It was hotter than the 90s by quite a significant amount during our last heat wave, so indoors would have been much hotter than what we are normally used to (Seattle summers usually peak in the upper 90s at most), or for that matter, what most of the country east of the Mississippi would normally be used to.

I'd like to stress that, for the most part, being hot inside is not going to kill regular, active, healthy people. We're talking largely about those with underlying conditions, those of advanced years, maybe those with mobility issues, those who were not properly hydrated, etc. These things are only accelerated by even hotter temperatures, and living situations insufficient for such temperatures. That you even have central air (working or otherwise) already puts you ahead of most PNW homes.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.