News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

webny99

Brilliant late August sunshine.

allniter89

Quote from: 7/8 on August 24, 2021, 10:07:48 AM
It's been a hot week in Kitchener. Tomorrow looks like the peak with a high of 33C (91F) and a humidex of 44C (111F). The last few days have been mainly sunny, but the rest of the week should be cloudier with some thunderstorms.
How do u/they determine the humidex. Typical summertime wx here. Hi mid 90° low 70°, heat index up to 107°, "scattetered thunderstorms some may be severe".
We only got the noise today, still dry as a bone.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

7/8

Quote from: allniter89 on August 24, 2021, 10:31:00 PM
Quote from: 7/8 on August 24, 2021, 10:07:48 AM
It's been a hot week in Kitchener. Tomorrow looks like the peak with a high of 33C (91F) and a humidex of 44C (111F). The last few days have been mainly sunny, but the rest of the week should be cloudier with some thunderstorms.
How do u/they determine the humidex. Typical summertime wx here. Hi mid 90° low 70°, heat index up to 107°, "scattetered thunderstorms some may be severe".
We only got the noise today, still dry as a bone.

Here's the Wikipedia article on it (the formula is a bit complex to type out myself) :D. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Humidex. It says humidex is based on dew point instead of relative humidity.

hotdogPi

Quote from: 7/8 on August 25, 2021, 07:42:52 AM
It says humidex is based on dew point instead of relative humidity.

If you know any two of temperature, relative humidity, and dew point, you can calculate the third. This means it's only a calculation difference, and one can be converted to the other given both the temperature and heat index/humidex.

By the way, it seems to me that you can subtract 10°F if you're in the shade. Officially (for the US), you're supposed to add 15° in the sun, but 90° with 40% humidity (as low as it gets here) in the shade doesn't feel unbearably hot.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Bruce

Back home and it's going to peak at 78 today before cooling down with some brief rain.

Yesterday morning I woke up to temperatures in the 40s over in Cle Elum. Had to break out the coat for the first time in a while.

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Roadgeekteen

91 and sunny on my move-in day to college

kphoger

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 27, 2021, 12:54:53 PM
91 and sunny on my move-in day to college

When I moved into college, it was during a period of wet, dreary weather.  I think I slipped into depression shortly thereafter, and I'm sure the weather didn't help.  At least, whenever I describe that period of my life, I always make sure to mention the wet weather, so it must have been significant to me.  On the other hand, it was during that low point that I underwent a spiritual conversion (I had grown up in church but only believed it on an intellectual level before that point).
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

JayhawkCO

My move in day was 105° and humid as hell.  Brutal.

Today, only 90° and a little clearer air.

Chris

Bruce

Mid-60s and potentially drizzly. Finally back to normal around here.

jakeroot

Quote from: Bruce on August 27, 2021, 02:06:31 PM

It does not bother me in the slightest, but mid-60s as a high would actually be quite cool (with it being normal closer to late September or early October if I had to guess). It is August after all. Should be at least mid-70s.

To be fair, this could (once again) be a north-south split. The Marysville-Everett area is obviously cooler than the South Sound, and mid-60s may be more normal for what you're used to in August.

kphoger

How do you guys ever find time to mow the lawn, typically?  Isn't the grass always wet?
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

jakeroot

Quote from: kphoger on August 27, 2021, 03:06:04 PM
How do you guys ever find time to mow the lawn, typically?  Isn't the grass always wet?

The lawn-mowing season usually coincides with our drier time of year (late Spring, Summer, early Fall), so most of the time people water their lawns and mow at separate times. Plenty of people also don't water at all, and lawns just die on their own by about June since it doesn't rain enough here to keep lawns alive all year.

Roadgeekteen

jakeroot

Seattle, South Sound: up to around 80 with totally clear (smokeless!) skies. Couldn't ask for a more beautiful day. Currently around 60. Perfect walking weather.

Bruce

Quote from: jakeroot on August 27, 2021, 02:54:27 PM
Quote from: Bruce on August 27, 2021, 02:06:31 PM

It does not bother me in the slightest, but mid-60s as a high would actually be quite cool (with it being normal closer to late September or early October if I had to guess). It is August after all. Should be at least mid-70s.

To be fair, this could (once again) be a north-south split. The Marysville-Everett area is obviously cooler than the South Sound, and mid-60s may be more normal for what you're used to in August.

Yep, we're used to being a few degrees cooler up here. Today will top out at 75.

Roadgeekteen

webny99

Extremely muggy, I'd even go so far as to say tropical. Humid enough that glasses fog up when you step outside or out of your car, which is extreme for around here.

hotdogPi

Quote from: webny99 on August 29, 2021, 10:05:15 PM
Extremely muggy, I'd even go so far as to say tropical. Humid enough that glasses fog up when you step outside or out of your car, which is extreme for around here.

Whatever you say happens there, I always seem to get it one day later. Let's see if it's true here. (The same is true for the Chicago area, including southeast Wisconsin, but two days instead, with the exception of the extreme negative temperatures that happened once.)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

webny99

Quote from: 1 on August 30, 2021, 07:03:08 AM
Quote from: webny99 on August 29, 2021, 10:05:15 PM

Whatever you say happens there, I always seem to get it one day later. Let's see if it's true here. (The same is true for the Chicago area, including southeast Wisconsin, but two days instead, with the exception of the extreme negative temperatures that happened once.)

Makes sense considering that weather patterns tend to move from west to east.

We say the same thing about the upper Midwest (MN/WI/IA) - their weather will often arrive here about two days later. The one-day point for us would be around central Michigan, but I don't follow their weather enough to know if that holds true.

Roadgeekteen

80s and cloudy with a chance of rain

allniter89

We lucked out, only 1" rain from Ida & winds of only 30mph. We are just enough east to miss the wind & heavy rain. Sunny thru Sunday with highs in the upper 80s.
BUY AMERICAN MADE.
SPEED SAFELY.

Roadgeekteen

Roadgeekteen

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.