News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

What's your weather currently?

Started by Desert Man, February 03, 2016, 12:54:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Amaury

I was talking about the conditions themselves, not the freeway being closed. Obviously, that's bad. Those conditions are nothing over here and wouldn't have brought the freeway to a standstill. You can still see the road, and that wouldn't even be bad enough to shut down something like Snoqualmie Pass, or bring it to a standstill, at least not by itself.
Quote from: Rean SchwarzerWe stand before a great darkness, but remember, darkness can't exist where light is. Let's be that light!

Wikipedia Profile: Amaury

Ted$8roadFan

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Bruce

Quote from: Amaury on February 26, 2023, 04:18:22 AM
I was talking about the conditions themselves, not the freeway being closed. Obviously, that's bad. Those conditions are nothing over here and wouldn't have brought the freeway to a standstill. You can still see the road, and that wouldn't even be bad enough to shut down something like Snoqualmie Pass, or bring it to a standstill, at least not by itself.

Portland's freeways see a lot more traffic than Snoqualmie Pass does. All it takes is one really bad collision to start a chain reaction.

Scott5114

We had a tornado hit about a mile away from where I live, in the neighborhood I lived in before I bought this house. A fairly powerful one, enough to throw a car through the roof of a house. Very unusual for February. It hit right as my wife was about to leave for work. Fortunately the siren went off right when she was going to leave, so she decided to stay home until it passed, or else she would have been right in it. It took her an hour longer than usual to get to work because of all of the roads that were blocked.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Ted$8roadFan

NWI_Irish96

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 27, 2023, 03:32:56 AM
We had a tornado hit about a mile away from where I live, in the neighborhood I lived in before I bought this house. A fairly powerful one, enough to throw a car through the roof of a house. Very unusual for February. It hit right as my wife was about to leave for work. Fortunately the siren went off right when she was going to leave, so she decided to stay home until it passed, or else she would have been right in it. It took her an hour longer than usual to get to work because of all of the roads that were blocked.

I was following that storm online. Very scary radar signatures on it, beginning very near the NWS office.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Roadgeekteen

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

NWI_Irish96

Had a tornado nearby in Champaign County, IL. Several warnings for NW Indiana but those were all radar-indicated, nothing confirmed.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

Scott5114

The path of the tornado can be pretty clearly seen in the road closures.

Traffic on Lindsey and 12th Ave SE (US-77) is awful since a large chunk of OK-9 is impassable due to downed power lines.

Roadgeekteen

There is an expected 5-7 inches of snow coming to Amherst tomorrow. I hope that we have another snow day and classes are cancelled.

Scott5114

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on February 27, 2023, 06:56:16 PM
There is an expected 5-7 inches of snow coming to Amherst tomorrow. I hope that we have another snow day and classes are cancelled.

Same storm as caused the tornado (and the snow in So Cal).

ZLoth

Quote from: Scott5114 on February 27, 2023, 03:32:56 AMWe had a tornado hit about a mile away from where I live, in the neighborhood I lived in before I bought this house. A fairly powerful one, enough to throw a car through the roof of a house. Very unusual for February. It hit right as my wife was about to leave for work. Fortunately the siren went off right when she was going to leave, so she decided to stay home until it passed, or else she would have been right in it. It took her an hour longer than usual to get to work because of all of the roads that were blocked.

Oh boo. And it won't be until tomorrow when the NWS releases the official EF numbers and the tornado path maps. Glad you and your wife are OK.

I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Scott5114

Thanks! Preliminary guesses are in the upper EF-2 to EF-3 range.

Ted$8roadFan

gonealookin

Sparkling clear and low 70s this morning here on the beach in Marco Island, FL, heading for a high of 81.  Gulf water temperature is very pleasant for swimming.  The "Red Tide" algae bloom that has affected parts of Southwest Florida's Gulf Coast, and leaves a row of dead fish at the high water line after high tide, does not appear to extend this far south.

I'm keeping tabs on my home base at Lake Tahoe, where a Blizzard Warning is in effect, about 18 to 30 inches of snow expected by late tonight and roads and probably most businesses are shut down.

hotdogPi

First snow day where I live, not that it matters to me since I'm not in school. It likely would have been the third day off if weekends and vacation weeks didn't exist. However, today's snow is somewhat borderline and not an absolutely huge snowstorm.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus several state routes

Lowest untraveled: 25 (updated from 14)

New clinches: MA 286
New traveled: MA 14, MA 123

Roadgeekteen

Flint1979

As in the words of the late great Sonny Eliot current temperature in our town is 36 degrees. Driving will be as hazardous as tap dancing in a canoe.

Roadgeekteen

jgb191

Temperatures ranging from very warm along the coastline to almost borderline hot in the Laredo area (and winter hasn't even ended yet).

BROWNSVILLE:       97 high (+19); 72 low (+12)
CORPUS CHRISTI:   98 high (+22); 71 low (+12)
LAREDO:               105 high (+24); 70 low (+14)
McALLEN:              102 high (+21); 71 low (+11)

Heat Index will mostly top-out in the triple-digits all over South Texas.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

jgb191

Of the daily record highs in February 2023:

It was an even split; both Florida and Texas with 14 days apiece.  The average of the 28 daily record highs was 91 degrees.  The highest temperature registered in February 2023 was 102 degrees in Falcon Lake, TX on February 23 (just two degrees short of the all-time February record for Texas and the country).

So far the 2023 YTD tally is: one day in California, 30 in Florida, and 28 in Texas.
We're so far south that we're not even considered "The South"

Ted$8roadFan

Roadgeekteen

ZLoth

My weather today, courtesy of the NWS Fort Worth:

Hard hats? Check. Bottled water? Check. Bug out bag with cat food, cat treats, and cliff bars? Check. Tablet and phones are currently charging. USB battery packs recharged.
I'm an Engineer. That means I solve problems. Not problems like "What is beauty?", because that would fall within the purview of your conundrums of philosophy. I solve practical problems and call them "paychecks".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.