News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Mississippi may raise speed limits to 75 on interstates

Started by Alex, February 20, 2013, 09:58:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex

Mississippi lawmakers consider raising speed limit to 75mph

QuoteYou may soon be zipping down Mississippi interstates are a higher rate of speed. The Mississippi House of Representatives has passed a bill to increase the speed limit from 70 to 75 miles per hour on certain roads. That bill now heads to the state senate.

Mississippi House approves 75 mph speeds

QuoteA bill halfway through the statehouse would increase car and truck speed limits on certain roadways in Mississippi.

House lawmakers voted 115-5 to advance a bill to the Senate that would make Mississippi only the second state east of the river that bears its name to permit speeds higher than 70 mph.

Charles2

Is this a good idea?  I-20 west of Meridian and I-59 southwest of there seem heavily traveled enough that the 70 mph speed limit is sufficient.  And my experiences on I-10 lead me to believe that the speed limit should be 65...not 70.

lordsutch

Quote from: Charles2 on February 20, 2013, 09:45:42 PM
Is this a good idea?  I-20 west of Meridian and I-59 southwest of there seem heavily traveled enough that the 70 mph speed limit is sufficient.  And my experiences on I-10 lead me to believe that the speed limit should be 65...not 70.

Texas now has 75 limits on roads that draw a lot more traffic than I-20 and I-59 (I-10 between San Antonio and Houston, for example, is pretty busy - far busier than I-20 between Jackson and Meridian for the most part).  But I-20 and I-59 wouldn't be my main candidates for 75 anyway.

I-55 north of Canton to Batesville (at least, maybe even as far as Hernando) is fairly lightly traveled, as is I-55 south of Terry, and I doubt 75 would be a problem.  US 78/I-22 outside of the New Albany mess could also easily go to 75; even in New Albany the 60 zone historically was a lot longer than necessary.  The 50 mph work zone is even worse, starting several miles before the substandard portion in both directions.

As for I-10, it could probably go to 75 once you get past MS 609 to the east.  I'd want to see six lanes all the way to Slidell before putting 75 mph in place west of Canal Road, though.  In the middle 70 is appropriate since it's used by a lot of short-hop traffic between Gulfport and Biloxi.

Ace10

Most of I-49 in Louisiana is signed 75 mph. (The WLOX article mentioned Louisiana legislature were considering 75. I think the caveat in LA is that LA gives the DOTD authority to sign a speed limit higher than the statutory maximum if the engineering studies allow. I guess LA is now considering raising the actual statutory limit to 75).

Some sections of I-10 in MS are straight as an arrow and could easily be signed 75 or 80 if the traffic conditions allow. I agree that sections between Canal Rd (MM 31) and MS 609 (MM 50) should probably remain 70 given the amount of traffic and the high weaving that occurs in places such as at US 49 and I-110.

I can't say I'm surprised at the articles when they mention cops having concerns for the higher limit. Wasn't it Montana where they eliminated the "reasonable and prudent" speed law in favor of a statutory maximum, but there was no positive change in safety? I think people overall just go as fast as they feel safe/comfortable, and as long as no one goes too much faster or slower than the general flow of traffic, people can get wherever they need to safely. It always irks me when I see a cop in the median or shoulder and everyone starts braking - really interrupts things and probably makes things even LESS safe.

bugo

agentsteel53

maybe Mississippi can upgrade to 56K and the page would load faster...
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

agentsteel53

Quote from: Ace10 on February 20, 2013, 10:49:45 PMas long as no one goes too much faster or slower than the general flow of traffic

someday, in an ideal world, people will be pulled over for driving slowly.

but I don't see that happening in this reality.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

JREwing78

Most of I-55 is built to sufficiently high standards to support a 75mph limit. I haven't traversed the other interstates, but I'd be surprised if a significant amount of interstate mileage couldn't handle those speeds.

I'm not sure what the minimum speed limit is (if any), but there's no reason to have one less than 55mph.

1995hoo

Quote from: JREwing78 on February 21, 2013, 10:25:01 PM
Most of I-55 is built to sufficiently high standards to support a 75mph limit. I haven't traversed the other interstates, but I'd be surprised if a significant amount of interstate mileage couldn't handle those speeds.

I'm not sure what the minimum speed limit is (if any), but there's no reason to have one less than 55mph.

You'd better hurry to clinch those other routes, J.R....I hear your funeral is on March 11....
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Ace10

Quote from: JREwing78 on February 21, 2013, 10:25:01 PMI'm not sure what the minimum speed limit is (if any), but there's no reason to have one less than 55mph.

I believe some parts of I-10 are posted with a minimum 40 speed limit.

From http://www.mscode.com/free/statutes/63/003/0509.htm

SEC. 63-3-509. Minimum speed limits.

(1) No motor vehicle shall be driven at a speed less than thirty miles per hour on federal designated highways where no hazard exists. An exception to this requirement shall be recognized when reduced speed is necessary for safe operation, or when a vehicle or combination of vehicles is necessarily, or in compliance with law or police direction, proceeding at a reduced speed.

Police officers are hereby authorized to enforce this provision by directions to drivers. In the event of apparent wilful disobedience to this provision and refusal to comply with the direction of an officer in accordance herewith the continued slow operation by a driver shall be a misdemeanor.

(2) In the event a speed limit of seventy miles per hour is established on any portion of the Interstate Highway System or on four-laned U.S. designated highways as is provided in section 63-3-501, a minimum speed of forty miles per hour shall be established for those vehicles having a maximum speed restriction of seventy miles per hour. Notice of said minimum speed shall be posted on such roads.

SOURCES: Codes, 1942, Secs. 8176, 8178; Laws, 1938, ch. 200; 1948, ch. 328, Secs. 1, 3; 1962, ch. 524; 1966, ch. 571, Sec. 1; 1970, ch. 442, Sec. 1, eff from and after passage (approved April 1, 1970).

Emphasis mine.

kphoger

The only thing minimum speeds are good for is weeding out severly incompetent trucks.  Studies have found they have virtually no effect on what vehicles use the Interstate, which is why some states have abandoned them.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

froggie

I don't really see this going for the east-west routes.  For starters, Mississippi isn't Texas.  Second, they either drive like maniacs or like slowpokes (7 years of personal experience on this one).  Third, I-10 and I-20 are *MAJOR* trucking routes, especially I-10...you have to factor in truck acceleration/braking profiles into the engineering.  Fourth, as lordsutch can attest, MDOT has had ongoing pavement issues for decades along I-20 between Jackson and Meridian...a lot of it simply has to do with the underlying clay soil.

Best candidates for this would be I-55 outside of the McComb, Brookhaven, and Jackson areas, and I-55 south of Hattiesburg (but not through Picayune) and north of Laurel to I-20.  Could even put the Starkville bypass on US 82 on the list (but not east of US 45 South).

Brandon

Quote from: kphoger on February 22, 2013, 04:27:31 PM

The only thing minimum speeds are good for is weeding out severly incompetent trucks.  Studies have found they have virtually no effect on what vehicles use the Interstate, which is why some states have abandoned them.

Some states do use them for enforcement.  Michigan has a 55 mph limit in its 70 mph zones, and vehicles below 55 mph do get pulled over.

However, I have noticed that Nebraska has a 75 mph limit with a well marked 40 mph minimum, so Mississippi doing the same thing would not be unprecedented.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

kphoger

Quote from: froggie on February 23, 2013, 07:16:25 AM
I don't really see this going for the east-west routes.  For starters, Mississippi isn't Texas.  Second, they either drive like maniacs or like slowpokes (7 years of personal experience on this one).  Third, I-10 and I-20 are *MAJOR* trucking routes, especially I-10...you have to factor in truck acceleration/braking profiles into the engineering.  Fourth, as lordsutch can attest, MDOT has had ongoing pavement issues for decades along I-20 between Jackson and Meridian...a lot of it simply has to do with the underlying clay soil.

I think the pavement issues is the only legitimate point here.  It's the only one (other than not being Texas) I haven't heard regarding Texas, and that state has 75 mph on plenty of highways.

Quote from: Brandon on February 23, 2013, 08:25:44 AM
Quote from: kphoger on February 22, 2013, 04:27:31 PM

Some states do use them for enforcement.  Michigan has a 55 mph limit in its 70 mph zones, and vehicles below 55 mph do get pulled over.

However, I have noticed that Nebraska has a 75 mph limit with a well marked 40 mph minimum, so Mississippi doing the same thing would not be unprecedented.

55 mph is a rather high minimum, and I'm surprised they would pull over any vehicles going any faster than 50 mph or so.  My point is that, under normal traffic and weather circumstances, there are hardly any vehicles out there going so slowly that a 40, 45, or even 50 mph minimum even means anything.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

Alex

The only portion of Interstate 10 I can see being eligible for 75 MPH is the stretch between Exits 2 and 13. No ingress or egress movements in the westbound direction and only an eastbound weigh station on an otherwise exit less stretch. Plus this is the least trafficked stretch of I-10 in Mississippi (34,000 vpd in 2011).

codyg1985

Quote from: Alex on February 24, 2013, 10:16:18 AM
The only portion of Interstate 10 I can see being eligible for 75 MPH is the stretch between Exits 2 and 13. No ingress or egress movements in the westbound direction and only an eastbound weigh station on an otherwise exit less stretch. Plus this is the least trafficked stretch of I-10 in Mississippi (34,000 vpd in 2011).

It also helps since that portion of I-10 is located within the NASA Stennis Space Center buffer zone for rocket engine testing, so you have plenty of trees and not much of anything else.  :colorful:
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

Alex

Quote from: codyg1985 on February 24, 2013, 05:51:30 PM
Quote from: Alex on February 24, 2013, 10:16:18 AM

It also helps since that portion of I-10 is located within the NASA Stennis Space Center buffer zone for rocket engine testing, so you have plenty of trees and not much of anything else.  :colorful:

Indeed... Except for a swath just west of the weigh station. Trees on both sides of the freeway and in the median appeared decimated last April. Was this caused by a weather event or was the section thinned out intentionally?

froggie

Probably the latter.  MDOT embarked on a "clearing program" even before I had left Stennis 5 years ago.  Their initial focus was on I-20 and especially I-59.

lamsalfl

I-59 is mostly a DESOLATE road especially at night.  Meanwhile Texas has no problems with 75's east of Houston and Dallas through Longview, Orange, etc. 

codyg1985

Quote from: lamsalfl on March 13, 2013, 11:22:14 AM
I-59 is mostly a DESOLATE road especially at night.  Meanwhile Texas has no problems with 75's east of Houston and Dallas through Longview, Orange, etc. 

Between Laurel and Hattiesburg it isn't as desolate, at least during the day. With that said, I don't see why it couldn't handle 75 since that's what most traffic is doing anyway.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

UptownRoadGeek

Quote from: codyg1985 on March 13, 2013, 11:25:30 AMI don't see why it couldn't handle 75 since that's what most traffic is doing anyway.

This! Traffic on I-55 and I-59, at least between I-10 and Jackson/Hattiesburg respectively, already flows at an average pace of 75mph. Hell, when you hit I-10 that pace ups to about 85mph unless there's congestion.

rel4

The bill (HB 376) died in the Senate committee when it was not voted upon by a set deadline  X-(.  The legislature has adjourned for the year (or until a special session is called to deal with Medicaid reauthorization).

golden eagle

Much of I-55 through Mississippi, in my opinion, could be signed for 75 mph. Of course, minus the Jackson and Desoto County areas (and perhaps Batesville and McComb). I-20 between Jackson and the I-20/59 interchange near Meridian can go 75 as well, once the construction in Scott County is done. 

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.