News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Interstate 985 in Georgia

Started by chrislopezz, January 16, 2024, 09:03:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Strider

Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 19, 2024, 02:44:26 PM
Are GA 316 and GA 400 up to Interstate Standards? If not, I doubt they would have become Interstates, although the Interstate 485 designation was to have gone along an unbuilt portion of GA 400 south of Interstate 85, after previously being proposed to follow a western extension of the Stone Mountain Freeway between its current western terminus and Interstate 75/85 at Exit 248C.

I am pretty sure GA 400 is up to Interstate standards. I don't know about GA 316 though.

US 89

Quote from: Strider on January 19, 2024, 10:46:10 PM
Quote from: The Ghostbuster on January 19, 2024, 02:44:26 PM
Are GA 316 and GA 400 up to Interstate Standards? If not, I doubt they would have become Interstates, although the Interstate 485 designation was to have gone along an unbuilt portion of GA 400 south of Interstate 85, after previously being proposed to follow a western extension of the Stone Mountain Freeway between its current western terminus and Interstate 75/85 at Exit 248C.

I am pretty sure GA 400 is up to Interstate standards. I don't know about GA 316 though.

400 definitely feels to standard north of 285. Based on my own experience, the inner part of it might have some issues with curve geometry or ramp lengths or something of that sort - but maybe that was just the old pavement making it feel older than it is. The speed limit is 55 mph rather than the 60 or 65 posted on most of the Atlanta interstates that aren't in the urban center (though it is just as universally ignored).

It's been a while since I've been on 316, but there are a *lot* of at-grade intersections in and east of Lawrenceville. Last time I drove 316 there was a lot of construction ongoing on the west half of the highway where they were converting a few intersections to grade separated interchanges.

Tom958

Quote from: Tomahawkin on January 19, 2024, 07:29:46 PM
Im surprised 985 hasnt been widen to 6 lanes total all the way up to its terminus? Considering the Mall of GA and lake traffic. Im also amazed at the number of people whio live up there and commute to areas ITP. Thats gotta be a minimum of 3+ hours a day spent in traffic on both 85 and 985. those tolls on 85 can exceed 20 bucks 1 way as well

Probably because it'd serve mainly to feed the existing bottleneck at I-85 more efficiently, thereby accomplishing next to nothing.

US 89

985 also likely doesn't have anywhere near the traffic volume to 6-lane - at least based on my multiple experiences with it.

There are tons of interstates in Georgia that are in far greater need of a 6-lane upgrade. I-85 from the Alabama state line to Coweta County comes to mind, as does I-20 from Villa Rica to the Alabama line.

Tomahawkin

No argument here, in fact IMO all of the major interstates in GA should be a minimum of 6 lanes total throughout the state. Some should be 8 lanes (total) minimum

Alex

Quote from: jlam on January 19, 2024, 02:07:53 PM
Quote from: rickmastfan67 on January 19, 2024, 01:35:41 AM
Please remember to 'source' where you get the image from in your post if it isn't your own photo.  Especially when you're not adding any extra content (since all you did was copy the text from Wikipedia).
I'm pretty sure he was the person that uploaded it to Wikipedia. I don't think he took the picture, however (if his age is to believed, he wasn't alive back then). This is more of an issue of the upload to the Commons.

That's a photo Andy and I took on a week long trip from Alabama to Pennsylvania in October 2001. Had no idea it was harvested by Wikipedia.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.