News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scott5114

No idea what the font on that K-254 shield is, and EAST US-77? Yikes, KDOT is being uncharacteristically sloppy there...
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: roadman65 on September 28, 2021, 10:07:38 PM
This is an interesting TRUCK ROUTE sign.

Virginia sometimes does that.

That K-254 shield looks like something out of a used car lot, though.
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Bruce

WillWeaverRVA

Quote from: Bruce on September 29, 2021, 07:51:00 PM
An ugly effort in Olympia, WA:

O ER A   TO MOTTMAN RD
SO. P  ET SO N   . .
O TH ER ICE CENTER
Will Weaver
WillWeaverRVA Photography | Twitter

"But how will the oxen know where to drown if we renumber the Oregon Trail?" - NE2

Rothman

Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Bruce

machias

Quote from: Bruce on September 30, 2021, 01:36:35 AM
Tunnel signs on I-90 in Seattle:

That arrangement is a little weird to me, but probably because I'm sitting at my computer desk and not driving under them. I think I prefer the way they're done in Massachusetts, with two lines at most on one panel.

J N Winkler

Quote from: Scott5114 on September 29, 2021, 01:28:49 AMNo idea what the font on that K-254 shield is, and EAST US-77? Yikes, KDOT is being uncharacteristically sloppy there...

I think it's a knockdown replacement--there was a time (thankfully now ended) when KDOT District 5 (which covers south-central Kansas) was using Arial/Helvetica digits for them.

Downtown El Dorado is not especially difficult for large trucks to navigate, so I suspect the real reason there is a (clumsily) signposted truck route along Haverhill/Sunset/Conner/Kansas is that it goes past the oil-and-gas facilities to the southwest of town.  The green sign that is faded to illegibility is for Frontier Refinery, now shown on Google Maps as HollyFrontier El Dorado Refining.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

wanderer2575

A few different signs from last week's trip to Michigan's northern Lower Peninsula.

On the Betsie Valley Trail approaching M-115 east of Frankfort:

The bottom sign -- some county attitude near a popular trailhead in the Sleeping Bear Dunes National Lakeshore.  There's gotta be an interesting story behind this one:

Southbound I-75 before Grayling, about 14 miles before the beginning of US-127:

rarnold

Quote from: WillWeaverRVA on September 29, 2021, 09:51:22 PM
Quote from: Bruce on September 29, 2021, 07:51:00 PM
An ugly effort in Olympia, WA:

O ER A   TO MOTTMAN RD
SO. P  ET SO N   . .
O TH ER ICE CENTER

From that day forward, they never had a bring your kids to work day at the sign shop again.

SkyPesos

LilianaUwU

Quote from: wanderer2575 on October 03, 2021, 07:25:35 PM
A few different signs from last week's trip to Michigan's northern Lower Peninsula.

On the Betsie Valley Trail approaching M-115 east of Frankfort:

Huh, that dumb sign idea I had was real all along.

Quote from: LilianaUwU on September 16, 2021, 01:25:38 AM
A dumb idea I've had for an alternate jumction sign for provincial routes:

"Volcano with no fire... Not volcano... Just mountain."
—Mr. Thwomp

My pronouns are she/her. Also, I'm an admin on the AARoads Wiki.

ClassicHasClass

LilianaUwU

—Mr. Thwomp

plain

Nah, that should definitely have the arrow instead of NEXT RIGHT.
Newark born, Richmond bred

formulanone

Quote from: LilianaUwU on October 04, 2021, 02:19:33 PM
Quote from: ClassicHasClass on October 04, 2021, 01:14:47 PM
When "next right" is "right now."

https://goo.gl/maps/fzBfFoZ4EBdF7tdo9

Well, it's technically not false.

Mississippi does that for several exits on I-59, in lieu of an exit arrow BGS; I think there's at least other state which does it semi-frequently (but can't recall which one right now).

This lets them get away with placing that exit's final guide sign anywhere from 10-to-1000 feet away.

thenetwork

Quote from: formulanone on October 04, 2021, 05:52:00 PM
Quote from: LilianaUwU on October 04, 2021, 02:19:33 PM
Quote from: ClassicHasClass on October 04, 2021, 01:14:47 PM
When "next right" is "right now."

https://goo.gl/maps/fzBfFoZ4EBdF7tdo9

Well, it's technically not false.

Mississippi does that for several exits on I-59, in lieu of an exit arrow BGS; I think there's at least other state which does it semi-frequently (but can't recall which one right now).

This lets them get away with placing that exit's final guide sign anywhere from 10-to-1000 feet away.

Many of the exits along I-70 in Garfield and Eagle County, Colorado do that as wellbon their recent rou.d of signs.  Prior to that they did use arrows, so I'm thinking somewhere along the line, they copied the specs from older-era signs and not the signs they were actually replacing.

Bruce

We've got plenty of "Arterial Turn" signs in Seattle and some surrounding cities, but not many END signs:

LilianaUwU

Quote from: Bruce on October 05, 2021, 05:18:54 PM
We've got plenty of "Arterial Turn" signs in Seattle and some surrounding cities, but not many END signs:

(ARTERIAL ENDS HERE)

Weird how it seems to use an old font, yet it has diamond grade retroreflective sheeting.
—Mr. Thwomp

roadman65

This is interesting here on I-95 in Port St. Lucie.

A Next 5 Exits followed by a Next 3 Exits two interchanges later.
Plus the ST on one of the signs.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hbelkins

Quote from: LilianaUwU on October 05, 2021, 05:58:31 PM
Quote from: Bruce on October 05, 2021, 05:18:54 PM

(ARTERIAL ENDS HERE)

Weird how it seems to use an old font, yet it has diamond grade retroreflective sheeting.

I noticed that too. The font is reminiscent of one used by Kentucky's District 5 (the Louisville district) in the 60s and 70s and into the 80s. There are still a few examples of it that can be seen, but they're rare.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

bassoon1986

Quote from: roadman65 on October 06, 2021, 09:29:29 AM
This is interesting here on I-95 in Port St. Lucie.

A Next 5 Exits followed by a Next 3 Exits two interchanges later.
Plus the ST on one of the signs.
I know of a couple places like that. The city grew, added new exits on the freeway, or the city recognized that exits further out served that city, too.

Not sure if West Monroe, LA still has two signs, but I think it just updated the sign to "next 5 exits"  once Downing Pines Rd interchange was added on I-20.

US 167 coming into Pineville, LA has one that says "Pineville next 5 exits"  just before Us 165 with an older one later on that says "Pineville next 3 exits"

iPhone

J N Winkler

On the AP-7 near Alicante in Spain:

"Marruecos" = Morocco, "Argelia" = Algeria.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

M3100

Seen in Culver City, CA (a suburb of Los Angeles).
Do you pay at the Pay Station or at this meter?
If the valet parks someone's car here between 6-9pm on a Tuesday, will it be towed?

roadman65

This one as it's longer than most state's longest freeway, but not the longest in this state.

Welcome to the Lone Star State and 636 miles of freeway to end not even at another state line.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.