News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

1964 Los Angeles area map with old and new route numbers

Started by MarkF, February 10, 2015, 01:17:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkF

Here's a partial scan of the L.A. area from a 1964 Standard Oil street map of Long Beach, showing old route numbers in grey.  This has the ex-US 6 routing on 170/101.  It shows CA 210 replacing CA 118 on Foothill Blvd, but later maps still show it as CA 118, wonder if it was ever signed as CA 210.

Not sure what the rules are for something like this, is it ok to put the whole scan here? It is around 500k (1500x1590).

NE2

118 becoming 210 was one of the situations where they kept the old number around until the freeway was built (like 42/105). The 1964 official clearly shows sign route 118 on legislative route 210 (and farther east, US 66 signed on LR 248 and 210).
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

hm insulators

Maybe partial scans like the one you have showing the central L.A. area, but showing more of the San Fernando Valley on one, the San Gabriel Valley on another scan, and so forth. Would love to see those, as I grew up in La Canada, and thank you for the first one.
Remember: If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.

I'd rather be a child of the road than a son of a ditch.

At what age do you tell a highway that it's been adopted?

MarkF

Actually the map is from 1963.
Northwest:

Northeast:

Southwest:

Southeast:

admtrap

Couple things that make me scratch my head there.

I know that the current I-215 north of I-10 was once mainline I-15, and then California pulled a switcheroo to get current 15 built (old 15 becoming 15E then 215), so it's a little surprising to see a little snippet of SR 215 assigned to Garey Ave, significantly west of where I-15 is now.  Now I'm wondering about those original plans - that looks closer to the formerly I-210 segment of SR 57 than it does to any other modern freeway...

The second thing is seeing both US 91 and SR 91.   It looks like US 91 dumped off the modern 91 freeway right before the junction with I-5/US 101, and then used Lincoln Ave, while SR 91 followed Artesia (close to the modern 91 freeway route) instead.   Since California doesn't repeat route numbers, it makes me wonder how that shift actually took place.

The third is seeing SR 42 extended all the way out to the 91/Imperial Hwy junction.   Which is doubly odd because, although Imperial is contiguous from LAX to the 91 freeway, and meets former SR 42 in Norwalk, the SR 42 designation doesn't look like it shifted from Firestone to Imperial there even though that would seem like the most logical route (SR 42, as far as I know, always followed Firestone/Manchester to the junction with I-5/US 101)

NE2

Quote from: admtrap on February 11, 2015, 03:19:59 AM
I know that the current I-215 north of I-10 was once mainline I-15, and then California pulled a switcheroo to get current 15 built (old 15 becoming 15E then 215), so it's a little surprising to see a little snippet of SR 215 assigned to Garey Ave, significantly west of where I-15 is now.  Now I'm wondering about those original plans - that looks closer to the formerly I-210 segment of SR 57 than it does to any other modern freeway...
Nothing to do with I-215 - this was a replacement for part of old LR 19 (from 1910), and was deleted in 1965.

The second thing is seeing both US 91 and SR 91.   It looks like US 91 dumped off the modern 91 freeway right before the junction with I-5/US 101, and then used Lincoln Ave, while SR 91 followed Artesia (close to the modern 91 freeway route) instead.   Since California doesn't repeat route numbers, it makes me wonder how that shift actually took place.
US 91 on Lincoln is supposed to be grayed out, since it became SR 214 in 1964. That route was deleted about 1970, when the SR 91 freeway was completed.

The third is seeing SR 42 extended all the way out to the 91/Imperial Hwy junction.   Which is doubly odd because, although Imperial is contiguous from LAX to the 91 freeway, and meets former SR 42 in Norwalk, the SR 42 designation doesn't look like it shifted from Firestone to Imperial there even though that would seem like the most logical route (SR 42, as far as I know, always followed Firestone/Manchester to the junction with I-5/US 101)
There was a planned freeway from the 19/42 intersection straight to 39/42 (now 39/90). Firestone all the way to I-5 was the signed "temporary" route of SR 42. This was deleted in 1965, replaced on a different alignment by an extension of SR 90 east of I-605; this left a gap in SR 42 from I-605 to SR 39. In 1968, 42 was renumbered 90 east of 39 and 105 west of 605. The 1969 official shows the final configuration: SR 42 no longer a state highway east of I-605 (yet still signed until recently), and SR 42 west of I-605 officially designated SR 105, with the proposed I-105 replacement to the south.

Another route that's not shown on this map: SR 60 on Colima/Golden Springs east of Azusa Avenue. This was deleted when the freeway was built. Earlier, the same thing had happened with another piece of SR 60 on 4th/3rd/Pomona/Portrero Grande/Hill between Boyle Avenue and San Gabriel Boulevard.

You can spend hours looking at the old maps: http://www.davidrumsey.com/luna/servlet/view/search?q=caltrans&sort=Date and comparing to the legislative descriptions: 1963 1964 and analysis.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Alex

Quote from: MarkF on February 10, 2015, 01:17:26 AM
Here's a partial scan of the L.A. area from a 1964 Standard Oil street map of Long Beach, showing old route numbers in grey.  This has the ex-US 6 routing on 170/101.  It shows CA 210 replacing CA 118 on Foothill Blvd, but later maps still show it as CA 118, wonder if it was ever signed as CA 210.

Not sure what the rules are for something like this, is it ok to put the whole scan here? It is around 500k (1500x1590).

For future reference, place the scan at whatever size you want. The forum will auto size it down for presentation, but a scan of larger size has the benefit of showing more detail that several of us want to see.

I have a map or two showing the old/new designations for SoCal. The one that comes to mind is the ignoble state 91's next to the US 91 markers.

TheStranger

Couple things that make me scratch my head there.

That Route 215 lasted until 1965 and is former Route 71.

What is now Route 91 west of I-5 is the former Route 14.  (See DTComposer's post below for a correction of my original note re: Route 18)

That's definitely a bit more of an oddity - as far as I know, Route 42 was the portion of 1934-1950s Route 10 between LAX and the Santa Ana Freeway, along Manchester/Firestone, with no changes until today's Interstate 105 was first defined in 1968.  (The portion of 1934 Route 10 to Anaheim is what became the Santa Ana Freeway (originally US 101/I-5) corridor east to Anaheim Boulevard).
Chris Sampang

DTComposer

Quote from: TheStranger on February 11, 2015, 11:37:36 AM
What is now Route 91 west of I-5 is the former Route 14 (and at one point was part of a longer version of today's Route 18).

To clarify - Routes 14 and 18 were always distinct routes, and Route 18 was never on the Artesia corridor.

Route 18 followed Santa Ana Canyon Road/Riverside Expressway/Freeway west to Newport Boulevard and then took Lincoln/Carson (LRN 178) towards Long Beach. US-91 followed this same route (thus running through downtown Anaheim). The east end of LRN 178 was shortened to the Santa Ana Freeway sometime in the 1950s; so US-91 was then put on the Orangethorpe (CA-14) corridor in Anaheim/Fullerton (I assume in preparation for moving to the Riverside Freeway).

However, CA-18 was still signed on Lincoln west of the Santa Ana Freeway, and on Santa Ana Canyon Road east of Newport, so I'm not sure if CA-18 was signed as a duplex with CA-14 (and US-91) on Orangethorpe, or there was a discontinuity in signing, or if the signs remained up in the field even though the route was out of the state system.

CA-14, meanwhile, always used the Orangethorpe/Artesia corridor (ending at CA-18/US-91 at today's Imperial Highway).

As to the presence of both CA-91 and US-91: The Lincoln/Carson portion of US-91 became CA-214, so there was never legislatively two 91s in the system. I assume US-91 remains on the map for motorist navigation since the signs likely remained in the field for some time (much like the US-50 signs along CA-99/I-580).

The High Plains Traveler

Quote from: MarkF on February 11, 2015, 01:30:48 AM
Actually the map is from 1963.

The legislation that amended the statute listing LRNs to contain the actual posted route number was enacted in 1963, with the new designations effective in 1964. I don't think the map would have reflected this if it had been published in 1963.

I do appreciate seeing that, since I was trying to remember whether I-405 was completed through the SF Valley, obviating the need for old SR-7, before the great renumbering.
"Tongue-tied and twisted; just an earth-bound misfit, I."

mrsman

It must have sure been confusing to drive around this time with all of the renumberings taking place.  I guess in that era, people were more careful about taking I-15 vs. CA-15; I-80 vs. US 80, etc. then they do now "the 5", "the 10", etc.

This is somewhat similar to what happened about 8 years ago in Pennsylvania, but not to the same extreme.  Penn changed from sequential exit numbers to mileage based exit numbers and posted signs saying "old exit XXX" along with the new exit numbers for a short while.

This map shows the highway system in flux, but it's only temporary.  Soon all the remnants of the old numbering system vanished.

andy3175

Quote from: mrsman on February 12, 2015, 08:56:56 PM
This map shows the highway system in flux, but it's only temporary.  Soon all the remnants of the old numbering system vanished.

Yeah, until they started placing Historic US xx signs for former routes such as US 6, 80, 99, 101, and 395. But yes, the old numbering system went away rather quickly during the mid to late 1960s. I remember a relic guide sign in Perris for "Temporary I-15E," but that sign has been gone for several years now.
Regards,
Andy

www.aaroads.com

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.