News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Closest pairs of non-intersecting, same-numbered roads in neighboring states

Started by KCRoadFan, August 07, 2021, 12:28:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KCRoadFan

The other day, I was thinking about how, at Vermont's border with New York, VT 9 becomes NY 7 - as well as the fact that, somewhat close to the border on both sides, VT 9 intersects US 7 in Bennington, while NY 7 meets US 9 in Latham, near Albany and Troy. In other words, throughout the region, "Route 7" and "Route 9" could each refer to one of two highways - and one of those pairs (the state roads) is actually the same roadway, having an intersection with the US route of the other number on their respective sides of the state line. The two Route 7/Route 9 intersections, in Latham and Bennington, are a mere 35 miles apart.

Shifting gears to the Upper Midwest, I was also thinking about WI 35, which meanders up and down the western edge of Wisconsin, closely following the Mississippi and St. Croix Rivers along the state's border with Iowa and Minnesota. By virtue of the route it follows, when WI 35 crosses I-94 at Hudson, it's not too far from I-35 in the Twin Cities.

Aside from the examples that I mentioned, where else around the country might one find a pair of roads on either side of a state line that come close to one another and have the same number, but don't intersect one another? (Just to clarify, if there's a state road that changes numbers at the state line - such as the above example of NY 7 becoming VT 9 - it is possible that one roadway in a given pair will intersect the other; such examples are allowed provided that the numbers aren't the same at the point where the roads actually intersect.)

SkyPesos

How close are US 22 and NY 22 at their respective intersection with US 1? This is the first example I can think of, though not as close as yours.

For some other two same numbered but different roads in a metro area, there's MO 100 and IL 100 in Greater St Louis, and US 67 intersects both.

kenarmy

Just a reminder that US 6, 49, 50, and 98 are superior to your fave routes :)

EXTEND 206 SO IT CAN MEET ITS PARENT.

US 89

Things get very confusing in the vicinity of the Idaho-Utah-Wyoming tripoint. In that area, we have the following junctions between routes numbered 30 and routes numbered 89:

- US 30/US 89 in Montpelier, ID
- US 30/US 89 also in Montpelier, two blocks away
- US 30/WYO 89 north of Cokeville, WY
- US 30/WYO 89 at Sage, WY
- SR 30/US 89 in Logan, UT
- SR 30/US 89 in Garden City, UT
- SR 30/WYO 89 at the Utah-Wyoming line east of Sage Creek Jct

So in short:
- US 30 intersects two 89s 21 miles apart
- US 89 intersects two 30s 30 miles apart
- SR 30 junctions two 89s 26 miles apart
- WYO 89 junctions two 30s 4 miles apart

To make things even more confusing, all these routes have concurrencies with each other at various points:
- US 30 and US 89 overlap for two blocks in Montpelier
- US 30 and WYO 89 overlap from essentially the Idaho line south (east) to Sage
- US 89 and SR 30 have a mostly unsigned overlap between Logan and Garden City, though some signage for this does exist at both junctions with US 91 in Logan
- Part of SR 30 functions as an implied route connecting the two pieces of WYO 89 through Utah, along with SR 16

But neither of the 30s or 89s junction each other. Utah SR 30 dies at the Wyoming line, where WYO 89 resumes and picks up the remaining 4 miles to US 30. WYO 89 comes very close to intersecting US 89, but the 3/4-mile connection between US 89 at Geneva and WYO 89 at the Idaho-Wyoming line is provided by Idaho SH 61.

TheHighwayMan3561

I-35 and WIS 35 get much closer together than at Hudson - they're about two miles apart at WIS 35's northern terminus in Superior. They co-exist in two MSAs with MSP/Bloomington and Duluth/Superior.

There are also MN 11 and ON 11 running on opposite sides of the Rainy River between Baudette, MN and International Falls, MN/Fort Frances, ON.

MN 48 and WIS 48 are close enough together that sometimes I forget they aren't related (as the crow flies, the west end of WIS 48 is about 20 miles south of MN 48).
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Evan_Th

MN 11 and ON 11 run along opposite sides of the Minnesota-Ontario border between International Falls and Baudette.  They never actually intersect, though - ON 11 dips south to the border at its west end, but the US side of the bridge is MN 72; at the east end, both turn north or south along their respective sides of Rainy Lake.  At the closest point, they're just under 2/5 mile apart.

Bruce

ID 3 and OR 3 are about 57 miles apart, though that requires going through WA.

WA 9 and BC 9 are 29 miles apart.

US 2 (in MT) and AB 2 are 45 miles apart.

TheStranger

KY 80 and MO 80 used to be connected by ferry, but since that has been gone for decades, they are separated now by 1.14 miles (with the Mississippi River providing most of that gap).
Chris Sampang

jp the roadgeek

CT and RI 2 are only a few miles apart, so close that Microsoft erroneously created a concurrency along US 1 through Westerly to connect the two. 

US 1 and DE 1 are only about 10 or 15 miles apart when US 1 passes through Delco. 

US 4 and ME 4 are really close.

CT 20 and US 20 are about 25 miles apart, but close enough that CTDOT puts a TO MA US 20 sign on CT 8 at the CT 20 intersection. 

And thanks to PennDOT, you now have PA and DE 100 no longer intersecting.  Also thanks to NYSDOT, CT and NY 124 no longer do. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

cpzilliacus

I-495 (Capital Beltway) has two pairs of roads with the same route number:

MD-193 (University Boulevard) and VA-193 (Georgetown Pike)

VA-650 (Gallows Road) and MD-650 (New Hampshire Avenue)
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

roadman65

US 59 and AR 59. Both are on opposite sides of the OK-AR border running parallel to each other.

In Siloam Springs, AR along US 412 the two are 3 miles apart.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

hotdogPi

NH 236 and ME 236 are less than ¼ mile apart, although I'm not sure if it counts, as it was intentional and not a coincidence.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

roadman65

MD 299 and DE 299.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

DandyDan

IA 12 and NE 12 are roughly 10 miles apart in the Sioux City area.

When IA 105 existed, it was 6 miles from the south end of MN 105.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

dvferyance

Rothman

What's interesting is how non-confusing some of these are to locals -- like the NY/VT and WI/MN examples of 7/9 and 35/35.  Bennington psychologically is an entirely different world than the Capital District, while WI 35 is a rural route south to your family's plywood box of a cabin on a lake and I-35 is a highway that takes you to the Twin Cities -- two very different routes in a Superiorite's mind.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Mapmikey

OH 618 and WV 618 come within 850 ft of meeting but OH 32 is in between them.

Dirt Roads

VA-4 ends at the North Carolina line south of Buggs Island Dam and Palmer Springs, Virginia.  NC-4 ends at Littleton, North Carolina south of Lake Gaston.  As the crow flies, they are about 20 miles apart.  Technicality is that they are interconnected.  NC-4 continues northward as NC-903 which zig-zags all over both sides of Lake Gaston before it hits the Virginia state line.  There, it continues as SR-903 in Brunswick County to Ebony and turns west, intersecting I-85 at Bracey (now SR-903 in Mecklenburg County) then turning west on Redlawn Road and ending at US-1.  But Redlawn Road continues west to (you guessed it) VA-4.  It certainly doesn't make sense to connect them, but it makes you wonder.

Revive 755

* MO 100 and IL 100 are about 19 miles apart at their closest point
* MO 109 and IL 109 are about 31 miles apart
* IL 31 and WI 31 are about 22 miles apart
* IL 120 and WI 120 are about 11 miles apart
* I-55 in Illinois and IN 55 are about 44 miles apart

(Note that the above distances are measured directly, on-road distances may be slightly greater)

bassoon1986

Quote from: roadman65 on August 07, 2021, 04:24:16 AM
US 59 and AR 59. Both are on opposite sides of the OK-AR border running parallel to each other.

In Siloam Springs, AR along US 412 the two are 3 miles apart.
This is the one I was prepared to share. Someone else on the forum has said before that in Siloam Springs it's referred to as Arkansas 59 and Oklahoma 59

iPhone

jp the roadgeek

Quote from: 1 on August 07, 2021, 06:25:06 AM
NH 236 and ME 236 are less than ¼ mile apart, although I'm not sure if it counts, as it was intentional and not a coincidence.

NH 113 and ME 113 are about 5 miles apart if you're traveling US 302 between North Conway and Fryeburg. 
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

ilpt4u

IL and IN 53s are about 41 miles from each other along I-80, across the Chicago Southland and NW IN

Dirt Roads

Quote from: KCRoadFan on August 07, 2021, 12:28:48 AM
Aside from the examples that I mentioned, where else around the country might one find a pair of roads on either side of a state line that come close to one another and have the same number, but don't intersect one another? (Just to clarify, if there's a state road that changes numbers at the state line - such as the above example of NY 7 becoming VT 9 - it is possible that one roadway in a given pair will intersect the other; such examples are allowed provided that the numbers aren't the same at the point where the roads actually intersect.)

It is possible.  WV-7 ends at OH-7 in Hannibal, Ohio.  I suspect that ODOT has a secret designation (or two) for the ramps that lead to/from the New Martinsville Bridge over the Ohio River.  But the rest is maintained by WVDOH and truly part of WV-7, so it shouldn't qualify according to the OP.

hbelkins

Quote from: Dirt Roads on August 07, 2021, 12:29:25 PM
Quote from: KCRoadFan on August 07, 2021, 12:28:48 AM

It is possible.  WV-7 ends at OH-7 in Hannibal, Ohio.  I suspect that ODOT has a secret designation (or two) for the ramps that lead to/from the New Martinsville Bridge over the Ohio River.  But the rest is maintained by WVDOH and truly part of WV-7, so it shouldn't qualify according to the OP.

IIRC, that bridge is signed "Ohio" (spelled out) OH 7 (state-shaped route marker) on the West Virginia side and only as "New Martinsville W. Va." on the Ohio side. A lot of the Ohio approaches to the river bridges carry distinct, signed route numbers (such as OH 253 for the approach to the bridge at the Greenup Dam that connects to KY 10, and others along the WV border) but i don't remember any route markers being posted there.

I'm not sure of Ohio has county maps or a route log available that would indicate any assigned state route number to the bridge's approaches.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.