News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

Most Streets Shown On An Advance-Exit Sign

Started by CentralCAroadgeek, April 25, 2012, 10:24:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CentralCAroadgeek

As the title says, what is the most streets you've seen on an advance-exit sign?

The most I've seen is four streets on one sign. I've seen one on 101 NB in the Bay Area, but I don't have a picture of it. However, I do have a picture of another one on 50 EB in the Sacramento suburbs:

agentsteel53

Orange County (Caltrans district 12) has a lot of next-four-exits signs, in contrast to the usual next-three.

I cannot think of a next-five-exits offhand. 

I have seen signs with eight or nine destinations, but they all date to the 30s or earlier.  the sign in Lexington, MA's town square comes to mind - it is a 1910s cast iron sign that has been preserved over the years.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

myosh_tino

I don't believe there's an official sign code for a 4 exit interchange sequence sign (G23 series).  There is a spec that accommodates 4 street names (G23-5) but it's only to be used when a single exit has two street names.  The photo posted is the first time I've seen an interchange sequence sign with 4 distinct exits. Oops... I take that back.  northbound US 101 before Mathilda Avenue has an interchange sequence sign that shows 4 exits with 4 distances.  Here's a link to a GSV image... http://www.google.com/maps?ll=37.397224,-122.019441&spn=0.000952,0.000889&t=k&z=20&layer=c&cbll=37.397224,-122.019441&panoid=qJ3U9Az60I4jZel5kafjUg&cbp=12,267.7,,1,-1.97
Quote from: golden eagle
If I owned a dam and decided to donate it to charity, would I be giving a dam? I'm sure that might be a first because no one really gives a dam.

huskeroadgeek

4 seems to be the upper limit for any mileage sign(is there a rule mandating this?). Even then, 4 destinations, whether it's an advance exit sign or just a regular mileage sign are pretty rare, at least in the US. To me, anything more than 3 is too cluttered and not really of much extra value.

Scott5114

uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

roadfro

The MUTCD rule is indeed 3 lines of legend.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

Alex

Not an advance exit sign, but a mileage sign nonetheless, the most destinations I have seen on a guide sign is 14 from this panel on CA-62 near the AZ border:

roadman65

Heck in Plant City, FL the sign for either Plant City or Strawberry Festival (depending on time of year) on I-4 Westbound I-4 has four roads with two being the same exit.  Alexander Street and Buchman Highway are both from the same ramp and listed as two different exits with the same FL 39 shield as well.

Alps roads has it documented on his Interstate 4 page, and like he himself stated on it "Hey what a way to waste part of a sign."

I like PA the way they do it, as only 3 exits are listed spite of how many.  After each exit passed, then another new exit is mentioned until it gets down to 2 only.  The only thing  about PennDOT is the fact that the street of the said town or city is used even if it changes names outside the limits.  For example, Emmitsburg Road near Gettysburg  on US 15  is listed as Steinwher Avenue even though Steinwher does not meet US 15 as it is the road in that Emmitsburg Road tuns into after it crosses the Gettysburg Border.  It indeed interchanges with Emmitsburg and not Steniwher and is misleading in some sense.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Scott5114

Quote from: Alex on April 27, 2012, 08:02:09 AM
Not an advance exit sign, but a mileage sign nonetheless, the most destinations I have seen on a guide sign is 14 from this panel on CA-62 near the AZ border:

And this is why the MUTCD has a limit of 3. :P
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

agentsteel53

Quote from: Scott5114 on April 28, 2012, 01:04:08 AM

that sign has a turnout next to it, so you can stop to contemplate it.

Iceland has similar design principles.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

kphoger

Quote from: agentsteel53 on April 28, 2012, 10:30:46 AM
Quote from: Scott5114 on April 28, 2012, 01:04:08 AM

that sign has a turnout next to it, so you can stop to contemplate it.

Iceland has similar design principles.

Wow, with signs like that, I would expect a higher homicide rate.
Keep right except to pass.  Yes.  You.
Visit scenic Orleans County, NY!
Male pronouns, please.

Quote from: Philip K. DickIf you can control the meaning of words, you can control the people who must use them.

J N Winkler

Quote from: roadfro on April 27, 2012, 03:15:43 AMThe MUTCD rule is indeed 3 lines of legend.

Actually, I think it is three destinations--community interchanges signs can have three lines of destinations plus the identification of the community at the top of the sign.
"It is necessary to spend a hundred lire now to save a thousand lire later."--Piero Puricelli, explaining the need for a first-class road system to Benito Mussolini

roadfro

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 28, 2012, 12:27:35 PM
Quote from: roadfro on April 27, 2012, 03:15:43 AMThe MUTCD rule is indeed 3 lines of legend.

Actually, I think it is three destinations--community interchanges signs can have three lines of destinations plus the identification of the community at the top of the sign.

Well, I was thinking it's 3 lines of legend for guide signs in general. Looking now at current MUTCD, I see the guidance I was thinking of specifically refers to advance guide signs and exit direction signs, and limits to two lines of text.
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

thenetwork

I remember seeing signs on the Indiana Toll Road back in the late 70s which would list 5 or 6 cities on a BGS prior to an exit.  The sign would say something to the effect of :

USE EXIT xx FOR:
Angola
Ft. Wayne
Marion
Muncie
Indianapolis
Lansing, MI

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Quote from: thenetwork on April 28, 2012, 05:46:03 PM
I remember seeing signs on the Indiana Toll Road back in the late 70s which would list 5 or 6 cities on a BGS prior to an exit.  The sign would say something to the effect of :

USE EXIT xx FOR:
Angola
Ft. Wayne
Marion
Muncie
Indianapolis
Lansing, MI

I thought there was something similar along the Pa Turnpike WB approaching the New Stanton exit.
Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

Brandon

USE EXIT xx FOR:
Angola
Ft. Wayne
Marion
Muncie
Indianapolis
Lansing, MI

ISTHA uses something similar as an auxiliary sign in the Chicago suburbs, i.e.:

Carol Stream
Glendale Heights
Addison
Lombard
Villa Park
THIS EXIT

(IL-64/North Ave exit off I-355)
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Super Mateo

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on April 28, 2012, 10:04:58 PM
I remember seeing signs on the Indiana Toll Road back in the late 70s which would list 5 or 6 cities on a BGS prior to an exit.  The sign would say something to the effect of :

USE EXIT xx FOR:
Angola
Ft. Wayne
Marion
Muncie
Indianapolis
Lansing, MI

I thought there was something similar along the Pa Turnpike WB approaching the New Stanton exit.

That exit confused me both times I've been there.  I ended up on US 119 both times.  To get to the New Stanton exit, though, you exit the Turnpike to I-70 West, then immediately take the first exit.  At the end of the ramp, there is a giant sign with lots of places and arrows, which you have no chance of reading fully if there's any traffic.  Luckily, the hotel I was looking for was in clear view.  As far as approaching the exit, if I recall, it just said New Stanton.

Mr_Northside

Quote from: Hot Rod Hootenanny on April 28, 2012, 10:04:58 PM

The mainline doesn't have the BGS with lots of control cities.  It's upon leaving the toll booth (and the Turnpike system) at the trumpet split, that there is an overhead BGS with an abundance of destinations.
I don't have opinions anymore. All I know is that no one is better than anyone else, and everyone is the best at everything

CentralCAroadgeek

Quote from: myosh_tino on April 26, 2012, 12:40:43 AM
I don't believe there's an official sign code for a 4 exit interchange sequence sign (G23 series).  There is a spec that accommodates 4 street names (G23-5) but it's only to be used when a single exit has two street names.  The photo posted is the first time I've seen an interchange sequence sign with 4 distinct exits. Oops... I take that back.  northbound US 101 before Mathilda Avenue has an interchange sequence sign that shows 4 exits with 4 distances.  Here's a link to a GSV image... http://www.google.com/maps?ll=37.397224,-122.019441&spn=0.000952,0.000889&t=k&z=20&layer=c&cbll=37.397224,-122.019441&panoid=qJ3U9Az60I4jZel5kafjUg&cbp=12,267.7,,1,-1.97

Found my (rather terribly zoomed) picture of this sign:

1995hoo

Quote from: J N Winkler on April 28, 2012, 12:27:35 PM

Something like this, perhaps (Capital Beltway Outer Loop in Springfield, Virginia; picture from AARoads)? I suppose it's a fine example of your point because there is a fourth exit, not listed, that also serves Alexandria (Exit 177 for US-1).

(Funny, with all the thousands of times I've driven past that sign–we use the Van Dorn Street exit to reach our neighborhood–I had never noticed the poor positioning of the "241" digits until I looked at this picture.)

"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

InterstateNG

Local lanes of I-96 in Detroit usually has 4 exits listed, although mileage isn't given.  "Use Local Lanes For" or something to that effect.
I demand an apology.

jrouse

The sign structure shown on US-50 in Sacramento has back-to-back panels.  The picture is facing eastbound.  Facing westbound, the exits listed on the panel are:
Bradshaw Road
Watt Avenue
Power Inn Road
Howe Avenue

Power Inn Road & Howe Avenue are one exit.  The road is known as Howe Avenue at the interchange with US-50 but it changes names at Folsom Blvd, just south of the interchange.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.