What's the Closest Interstate to you that you Have Never Been on Any of it?

Started by ethanhopkin14, July 17, 2023, 11:06:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

GaryV

2di: I-22?  Correction: I-78
I can't recall if I was on I-72 or I-74, but it's likely that I was, at least on a short section of each. If not, those would be closer.

3di: I don't recall if I've ever been on I-271 in Cleveland area. Else, I-277 in Akron.

Rothman

Quote from: corco on July 17, 2023, 02:20:29 PM
I-391 in Springfield Mass., which is only like 40 miles away
I-391 isn't in Springfield (so saith this former local). :D
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Jim

I've traveled at least some segment of all 2dis.*

The closest completely untraveled 3di looks to be I-478, the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel (which was also my closest untraveled segment of any Interstate when I just updated the thread on that topic).  I'm also missing all of I-878 near JFK.  I don't believe either of those is signed.  To get a signed 3di that I'm missing, I think we need to go down into Maryland, where I've never been on I-795.  That looks to be about 370 miles from home.

*Edit: Since some are making this distinction, I'll point out that my travels on I-11, I-22, and the southern I-87 were before they were signed as those routes but on the same pavement, best I can tell.
Photos I post are my own unless otherwise noted.
Signs: https://www.teresco.org/pics/signs/
Travel Mapping: https://travelmapping.net/user/?u=terescoj
Counties: http://www.mob-rule.com/user/terescoj
Twitter @JimTeresco (roads, travel, skiing, weather, sports)

TheHighwayMan3561

Closest 2di never travelled: probably I-12
Closest never driven an independent segment of: I-44

Closest 3di never travelled: I-155 (IL)
Closest 3di segment unclinched: I-294 north of I-90
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

CoreySamson

For 2dis, my answer is I-14. My answer for 3dis is I-635, though I have intersected it.
Buc-ee's and QuikTrip fanboy. Clincher of FM roads. Proponent of the TX U-turn.

My Route Log
My Clinches

Now on mobrule and Travel Mapping!

Konza

2di:  The western I-86 in Idaho.  Clinched in October.  Now I-22?
3di:  Most likely I-110 in El Paso.
Main Line Interstates clinched:  2, 4, 5, 8, 10, 11, 12, 14, 16, 17, 19, 20, 24, 25, 26, 27, 29, 30, 37, 39, 43, 44, 45, 55, 57, 59, 65, 68, 71, 72, 74 (IA-IL-IN-OH), 76 (OH-PA-NJ), 78, 80, 82, 86 (ID), 88 (IL)

clong

MikeTheActuary

For me:

2di: 
I've never been on I-42, but I don't believe I-42 has been signed yet.   (I've also never been on unsigned A1, A2, A4, PRI1, PRI2 or PRI3)

I have been on the southern I-87, before it was I-87 (and the same is true for I-41, I-49, and if you count it separately the Texas I-69).   

The closest currently-signed 2di I have never been on is I-14.  (I've also never been on I-2, I-11, I-17, I-19, I-35W in Texas, I-69E/C/W, I-82, western I-84, or western I-86)

The closest 3di I have never been on is I-890 in New York (~120 miles away)

cstp3103

For highways I've never driven personally:
2di: I-89 (110 miles away)
3di: I-295, RI/MA (30 miles)

For highways I've never been on, period:

2di: I-78 (174 miles)
3di: I-384, CT (81 miles)

I'm assuming I had been on I-89 as a small child as I had gone to Vermont with my family a few times, but it was (slightly) too early for me to be paying attention to which roads I was on.

Rothman

Quote from: Jim on July 17, 2023, 02:57:57 PM

The closest completely untraveled 3di looks to be I-478, the Brooklyn-Battery Tunnel (which was also my closest untraveled segment of any Interstate when I just updated the thread on that topic).  I'm also missing all of I-878 near JFK.  I don't believe either of those is signed.  To get a signed 3di that I'm missing, I think we need to go down into Maryland, where I've never been on I-795.  That looks to be about 370 miles from home.

*Edit: Since some are making this distinction, I'll point out that my travels on I-11, I-22, and the southern I-87 were before they were signed as those routes but on the same pavement, best I can tell.
How can you have been on a route before it existed?
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

Dirt Roads

Closest 2DIs:  I-99 and I-22
Closest 3DIs:  I-575 Georgia, I-180 Pennsylvania and I-165 Kentucky

Here's how they stack up:

• I-99 (355 miles)
  • I-575 (365 miles)
  • I-180 (460 miles)
  • I-22 (520 miles)
  • I-165 (540 miles)
For the record, I had driven US-220 between Bedford and Bellefonte, including some stretches of freeway that eventually became I-99.  I had intersected all of the others. 

I-575 at the south end of Ball Ground is the only one that the closest mileage is not at an endpoint (but that is VERY VERY close to the endpoint).

Hobart

The closest undriven 2DI to me might be Interstate 44 (280 miles away); I say "might" because I went to Grant's Farm with my family a few years ago on a day trip, and the fastest way from downtown to there like we did is I-44, so it's likely we drove it and I forgot. This was like, 10 years ago, before I-44 even reached the arch.

The second closest, therefore, is Interstate 71, in Louisville, about 290 miles away, which is probably of interest given the circumstances of I-44.

The closest undriven 3DI to me is I-180, the useless one, in Illinois, about 90 miles west of home.

The irony is that I've seen at least one terminus of all three of these interstates. I've driven by the terminus of Interstate 180 at least a dozen times, even on day trips to Iowa. I just never had a reason to use it.
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

therocket

2DI: I-19 in Tucson (approx. 420 miles)
3DI: I-215 in Las Vegas (approx. 217 miles)

epzik8

From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

JKRhodes

2di: I-86 (908 miles) Pocatello, ID

3di: I-410 (782 miles) outside of San Antonio, TX

SkyPesos

2di: I-96 (~235 miles from Cincinnati)
3di: I-264 (~85 miles)

ilpt4u

3di winner, pretty sure is I-155 MO/TN ~108mi, tho maybe have driven that for 1 exit in TN. Otherwise, I-840/TN is the winner at ~165mi

2di winner has to be I-22 ~200mi; not much personal utility for a Memphis-Birmingham Interstate route when I live due north of it and have I-57/I-55 to go SW and I-24 to go SE

jeffandnicole

While I don't keep tabs on my Interstate travels...

Probably I-88 for me, slightly less than 200 miles away in NY. 

The next 2di closest to me that I haven't travelled...quite possibly I-88, about 675 miles away in IL.

dlsterner

From home base in Maryland, distance approximated as the crow flies:

2di:   I-86 (eastern), ~240 miles
3di:   I-676 (PA/NJ), ~110 miles

Hot Rod Hootenanny

Please, don't sue Alex & Andy over what I wrote above

bm7

hbelkins

Quote from: Rothman on July 17, 2023, 06:41:51 PM

Same way that I picked up a clinch of the new I-880 in Iowa when it was renumbered from I-680. I was on the road between I-29 and I-80 east when it was still 680; there's no need for me to re-clinch it just because its number changed.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Bruce

Closest overall: I-86 in Idaho

Closest 3di: I-505 in California

Some one

dlsterner

Quote from: Rothman on July 17, 2023, 06:41:51 PM

I guess that it may depend on your Travel Mapping goals - are you clinching "numbers", or are you clinching "stretches of asphalt"?  IMHO either way is fine.  Depends how you treat any routes that are re-numbered or re-routed.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.