News:

The AARoads Wiki is live! Come check it out!

Main Menu

Detroit Bridge Wars

Started by mightyace, June 16, 2009, 05:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rawmustard

The next salvo in the Detroit Bridge Wars comes today as Governor Rick Snyder and Prime Minister Stephen Harper make joint announcements today on the new bridge. It will first be announced at 12:45 pm somewhere in Windsor, and then a second announcement at 2:45 pm will be made at Cobo Hall in Detroit. Both will be livestreamed from the governor's website.

NE2

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on September 02, 2010, 05:43:54 PM
Quote from: hm insulators on September 02, 2010, 04:42:34 PM
Not that I know a lot about the issue, but has anyone noticed that the only difference between Moroun and "moron" is a single letter?  :sombrero:

I noticed that one too, Moroun is a real moron. I'm sorry but I couldn't resist :p

This post always gets me. A Mr. Dumas making fun of Mr. Moroun?
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

vdeane

Here's an article on the deal: http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052702303822204577468383034028286.html?mod=googlenews_wsj

If Mouron is smart, he'll ask to be the contractor rather than suing.  Though I doubt Michigan would be happy with that.  He's so prepared to build a bridge anyways... he might as well build one that people actually want.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

MrDisco99

Any unencumbered links to this story?

JREwing78

NE2

Am I missing something, or is there no truck access from the bridge to I-75 north?

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

JREwing78

Quote from: NE2 on August 13, 2012, 09:13:21 PM
Am I missing something, or is there no truck access from the bridge to I-75 north?

You are missing something. Check the Free Press article I posted earlier: http://www.freep.com/article/20120516/BUSINESS06/205160326/Truck-freeway-connector-opens?odyssey=mod

At a certain point north of the duty-free area, the truck road forks. Left heads north on I-75, and right takes a 180 degree loop over I-75 to enter the highway headed south.

NE2

Quote from: JREwing78 on August 13, 2012, 10:08:31 PM
Quote from: NE2 on August 13, 2012, 09:13:21 PM

You are missing something. Check the Free Press article I posted earlier: http://www.freep.com/article/20120516/BUSINESS06/205160326/Truck-freeway-connector-opens?odyssey=mod

At a certain point north of the duty-free area, the truck road forks. Left heads north on I-75, and right takes a 180 degree loop over I-75 to enter the highway headed south.
Except that what they show there as I-75 is actually the beginning of I-96. Unless there's a ramp not visible on either Google or Bing aerials, the only choices are sticking with I-96 or exiting to Michigan Avenue. And it's slightly too blurry to be sure, but the left overhead seems to say I-96 to US 12 I-94: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll=42.320481,-83.081361&spn=0.000625,0.001032&gl=us&t=k&z=21 Contrast this with the car ramps, which split twice for the three freeways.

vdeane

Well, long range trucks could go to I-75 north via I-96 and I-94 at least... the missing movement looks like it's mainly an issue for local trucks.

I suspect that most truck traffic will ignore the Ambassador Bridge once DRIC is built though due to the ending of the Breezewood in Windsor unless there are delays on a particular day.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

JREwing78

True. That's an area with a lot of things happening in a small space, and there's little difference for the vast majority of truck traffic in choosing I-96 to I-94 to I-75 versus going straight to I-75. Local trucks would use the Michigan Ave exit.

Not that you're going to see a lot of trucks bound for Flint or points north - unless they originate from Windsor, they're likely taking the Blue Water bridge instead.

Stephane Dumas

Time to dust-off the topic, I spotted this article from the Tornto Star http://www.thestar.com/news/world/article/1283903--u-s-election-michigan-says-no-to-bridge-vote

"Michigan voters who cast ballots on a proposition that could have nixed the plan to build a new bridge linking Windsor to Detroit made it clear: they won't be bought.

Matty Moroun, owner of the Ambassador Bridge, the lone crossing between Windsor and Detroit, lost his fight Tuesday when voters said no to Proposition 6, which would have required a referendum vote every time a new international bridge is proposed.

In the months leading up to the vote Tuesday, Moroun funnelled nearly $40 million into a campaign against a second bridge, including millions to get the vote on the Michigan ballot.

The billionaire bridge-owner rakes in nearly $80 million annually from the crossing and had the proposition passed, the new crossing would have been subject to a state-wide vote.

"We're excited about it. It's been dragging on for the last 12 years,"  said Mark Dugal, business manager of the Ironworkers Local 700 in Windsor. "It's nice to know you can't buy the citizens of Michigan. It's fantastic."

NE2

Quote from: the media is dumb
the lone crossing between Windsor and Detroit

JREwing78

The media may be dumb, but Moroun was dumber. He squandered tens of millions that could've been spent on, say, fixing his bridge up.

You can't get Michigan to rub two nickels together to fill some potholes, but they're not stupid enough to turn down a gift horse when presented with one.

vdeane

People just weren't as stupid as Mouron thought.  He probably would have more success if he called a spade a spade and had voters vote directly on DRIC; instead, he tried to trick people into voting for a broad law to address a very specific issue.

The Great Zo

Detroit News:
Feds allow Canada bridge steel

QuoteDetroit – The U.S. Federal Highway Administration will allow Canadian steel to be used in the construction of the New International Trade Crossing.

The administration granted a waiver that went into effect Thursday, allowing the span to be built without the restrictions of the federal Buy American policy, which requires only U.S. steel to be used. Eventually, selected contractors will be able to use steel produced in both countries.

Backers of the New International Trade Crossing said they were pleased by the decision – one that Gov. Rick Snyder petitioned for in August so that Canadian iron and steel could be used on Canada's portion of the new span.

This is the first of the three federal clearances needed before bridge construction can begin. Still remaining are approval from the US Coast Guard, and a presidential permit from the US Department of State.

JREwing78

Some recent news:

Ambassador Bridge owners must pay $4.5M to reimburse MDOT for Gateway project completion
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012312180034

New bridge over Detroit River to Windsor could take 7 years to complete
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012312250117

The ferry to Harsens Island has also become an issue recently; Mouron and Co. are hinting at building a new bridge to the island to replace the ferry when the operation is shut down. The owner is struggling to keep the operation going and wants to retire.

Moroun revives Harsens Island bridge plan
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012308160218

Harsens Island ferry operator blasts Michigan Public Service Commission
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012308280046

Harsens Island ferry owner: I can wait to retire
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2012312180044

theline

I'm shocked the no one has posted the Daily Show's take on the new Detroit River bridge. Pretty funny stuff. Check it out:
http://www.thedailyshow.com/watch/wed-january-9-2013/bridge-to-canada

JREwing78

That Daily Show video is full of so much win. I wish it had aired before the ballot issue came up for a vote last November.

theline

Thank goodness the numbskulls didn't prevail on that vote, though it was much closer than it should have been.

The Great Zo

Huge news for the new bridge, as both the Detroit Free Press and Detroit News are reporting that the Presidential Permit has been approved.

This comes just days after Matty Moroun and Detroit mayoral candidate (and former Moroun employee) Fred Durhal have both launched lawsuits to stop the bridge.

Brandon

Episode V: The Moron Strikes Back

Moroun expands lawsuit seeking to stop new Detroit-Canada span

QuoteThe suit asks Judge Rosemary M. Collyer to block the crossing, arguing it seeks to "usurp" the Ambassador Bridge's "ability to maintain their franchise by building a new span" and violates the terms of a 1921 agreement creating the privately owned Ambassador Bridge, which carries more than one quarter of all U.S.-Canadian commercial traffic. It has argued the agreement's "right to repair, replace and enlarge" the Ambassador Bridge means the governments should allow the Ambassador Bridge company to build a second span, but it has been blocked for more than a decade.

The Ambassador Bridge has been in operation since 1929. Forbes magazine said the bridge takes in $60 million in tolls annually and $15 million in gas and duty free sales.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

The Great Zo

Quote from: The Great Zo on April 12, 2013, 04:27:20 AMThis comes just days after Matty Moroun and Detroit mayoral candidate (and former Moroun employee) Fred Durhal have both launched lawsuits to stop the bridge.

No big surprise, but Durhal's lawsuit has been tossed out of court.

lordsutch

This is contract clause 101: Charles River Bridge v. Warren Bridge. Even if anyone opposing the new bridge can clear the hurdle of standing (Moroun might), it's pretty darn established law that just because you have a charter to do something it's not automatically exclusively yours unless the contract explicitly says so.

Brandon

Ambassador Bridge to raise toll fee

Is he trying to raise more cash for his fight?

QuoteStarting Aug. 15, the Ambassador Bridge will raise its tolls for the second time in just over a year.

According to its website, the new fee for automobiles, passenger vehicles, station wagons, personal vans and empty pickups is now $5, up from $4.75.

In July 2012 the bridge company raised its fare from $4 per personal vehicle to $4.75.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ARMOURERERIC

Or they want to make the toll collection experience smoother due to the elimination/reduction of coin change.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.