Sherman Minton closed Indefinitely.........I-64 west end of Louisville.

Started by ShawnP, September 09, 2011, 06:46:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ShawnP

INDOT making a very dangerous curve. I-265 west ramp to I-64 east in Floyd County has been widened to 2 lanes. INDOT did it on the cheap and didn't add any lane width but took all the shoulder. It's a blind curve with river bluff's in the way. If you have a flat or any break down and have to break down in the travel lane it's very, very dangerous. Imagine a Tractor Trailer coming around the turn at 55mph or more. INDOT I know it's a pain but don't risk people lives for the sake of convience and cheapness.

ShawnP

NWI_Irish96

In that series of 13 pictures, the first nine are labelled as the 265/64 intersection, while the last four are labelled as the 265/65 intersection, yet I'm about 99.9% certain that all 13 pictures are from the 265/64 intersection. 
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

ShawnP

Yes they are...........I'm scared of that curve already. Big Trucks won't be able to stop due to lack of visability going around the corner.

kharvey10

i swear they just did an emergency restriping that MoDOT loves to do to alternate routes prior to some major road construction project

wriddle082

Quote from: kharvey10 on September 14, 2011, 11:26:51 PM
i swear they just did an emergency restriping that MoDOT loves to do to alternate routes prior to some major road construction project

Like what they did to I-44 (and I guess I-70 as well) when I-64 was closed in STL a couple of years ago.

And they also did this to I-640 and some of its interchanges with I-40 in Knoxville when I-40 was closed through downtown for the SmartFix 40 project.

*BUT* TDOT had the good sense to use new pavement in those areas where the restriping occurred, making the transition more seamless.

Something else TDOT also did during that project was drape temporary BGS "tarps" over the existing overhead BGS's that officially detoured I-40 onto I-640 and declared I-40 to be for local traffic only.  I wonder if INDOT and KTC would consider similar temporary signage changing measures.  Might cut down on what I'm assuming is a shortage of portable VMS's in the area, and also relieve the TRIMARC overhead message boards so they might be able to display traffic conditions for other parts of Louisville-area freeways.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

tdindy88

Just saw in Indy today on 465 a VMS that was directing "Lexington/Atlanta" traffic to go thorugh Cincinnati on 74 and 75. Probably the only time I'm ever going to see "Atlanta" on a highway sign in Indianapolis.

NWI_Irish96

Having grown up and lived much of my life in Northern Indiana/Chicago/Michigan, and having made several trips to Georgia/Florida, I had it pounded into my head from a very young age that the Indianapolis-Chattanooga segment of the trip is 40 miles shorter via I-65/24 than via I-74/75.  I'm sure that the same applies to many people from the Upper Midwest, so yeah, having signs posted in Indy to warn people is probably a productive thing.
Indiana: counties 100%, highways 100%
Illinois: counties 100%, highways 61%
Michigan: counties 100%, highways 56%
Wisconsin: counties 86%, highways 23%

golden eagle

Quote from: InterstateNG on September 12, 2011, 10:23:12 AM
I ask because I've heard that the cops downstate on 57 in Illinois are pretty bad, or is that not true?

My uncle is a Greyhound bus driver and he once told me to slow down while going through Union County, IL. If you get a ticket there, they won't allow you to mail in your fine. You have to physically go back there and pay it on your court date. Supposedly, the thinking behind this is the county gets revenue when people stay at hotels or spend money at other local establishments.

I know this is getting away from the OP, so carry on...

6a

Today's featured article on Wikipedia is rather fitting, I would say.

kharvey10

I got a photo of a VMS in Mt. Vernon on 57 that warned of the bridge being closed - they put it right next to the IL 15/Broadway exit in the southbound lanes - as that exit has several truck stops (3 of them) and several hotels.

Brandon

Even the main page for Travel Midwest (Chicagoland, Madison, Milwaukee, and other nearby areas) http://www.travelmidwest.com/ has information about the bridge being closed.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

ShawnP

It's costing millions per day in economic activity. Louisville as a metro area is now paying for decades of talk and inaction. I feel sorry for those plants that work on just in time inventory. Those plants are going to have major problems if their suppliers are from the west and north of Louisville.

kharvey10

seems like Rep. Yarmuth is acting like he got an about face to the whole situation, he opposed the Ohio River Bridges Project somewhat openly prior to this closure.  It seems like he is the only politician that has woke up and faced the music so far.  Rand Paul and McConnell been very silent about it, and T. Young is acting like he's holding his opinion for the time being.

hbelkins

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Alex

rickmastfan67

ShawnP

Kentucky doing better than INDOT. INDOT still seems in shock from a 50 year old bridge with bad steel having cracks. INDOT should still rebuild those shoulders on the ramps as they are dangerous and having a extra lane will help even if the Sherman Minton gets fixed soon.

kharvey10

Given with INDOT on the hook for that bridge, just wait for that shock wears off and they face reality.  The only thing Kentucky has to do is send the funds.

ShawnP

tvketchum

Worst case scenario- the bridge cannot be repaired due to the number of cracks, where they are located, and the welded construction method. How to replace it? To save money, the piers certainly could be reused, just as is being done upstream at Madison IN. Widen them, to accommodate a wider roadway, and you still save money over the total cost of a whole new bridge from bedrock up. But if it can be repaired, how can one be certain of the safety of the span then? You still have the same issues- aging steel, welded construction which precludes bolting in a replacement part. Either way, I think the oddsmakers will say the East End project will be open before the Sherman Minton will be...

Revive 755

^ I'd expect the opposite, with the opposition to the East End bridge.  From my understanding, the double tied arch section is the part that forced closure of the whole bridge; the approach spans are still usable (correction me if I'm wrong).  One of the states could always demolish the current tied arches and float in a couple of new ones in about a year, which would be a lot faster than excavating for new piers and building all of the approach spans and roadways for the East End bridge.

ShawnP

It could be quicker but at this point do you think quicker or 30 years down the road. A total rebuild with C&D lanes for New Albany and Watterson exits could do wonder for future traffic flow. This is the once in a lifetime oppurtunity to do it right with C&D lanes and elimination of left hand entrance and exit ramps.

ShawnP

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.