News:

Thank you for your patience during the Forum downtime while we upgraded the software. Welcome back and see this thread for some new features and other changes to the forum.

Main Menu

Eternal Green Lights

Started by peterj920, March 25, 2016, 03:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peterj920

I'm sharing locations where there is a permanent green light that never changes.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Lake+Pkwy,+Milwaukee,+WI+53207/@42.9875746,-87.8878933,3a,75y,143.58h,90.62t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sGy3n0GNex7ZU51swWA1HIg!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x8805179ba5c780e9:0xddaaba71ed9f295f

The first location is Wis 794 at Oklahoma Ave.  A jug handle ramp was built in the southeast quadrant due to a lack of space for a full interchange.  The intersection was modified so southbound traffic doesn't have to stop and traffic from Oklahoma to 794 south merges from the left. 

The next one is at Wis 145 north and Fond Du Lac Ave in Milwaukee.  Wis 145 becomes a freeway here and there is a protected left turn signal onto Fond Du Lac Ave.  Northbound traffic has an eternal green.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/6800-6842+W+Fond+Du+Lac+Ave,+Milwaukee,+WI+53218/@43.1073926,-87.9977796,3a,75y,327h,90t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1staGOOVwNHF1CNm7DN6F3lw!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x88051cc383b0361d:0xf288a6bf4f285132

National Ave northeast and I-894/I-41 south ramp in West Allis, WI.  Left turns can yield at a flashing yellow or turn with the green light.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/10105+W+National+Ave,+West+Allis,+WI+53227/@42.9981072,-88.0390754,3a,75y,38.47h,86.09t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1s-2ouzTulkwEh-sEltQivmQ!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x88050f8f2ab080bb:0x3ecbc35c4cf8d64

The last one is County BB and I-41 north ramp in Appleton, WI.  The traffic signals heading east look normal but never turn red.  Traffic turning left can yield when there isn't a green arrow. 

https://www.google.com/maps/place/3998+W+Prospect+Ave,+Appleton,+WI+54914/@44.2437988,-88.4659553,3a,75y,107.13h,73.53t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1slt-vUbZB0kWeTL6o1jOINA!2e0!4m2!3m1!1s0x8803b7f163e7a04b:0x4296d86092d905af

Anyone else have locations of an eternal green?

vtk

Delaware, Ohio: US 23 northbound at S Sandusky St

Columbus, Ohio: Fifth Ave westbound at western Leonard Ave intersection; left turns from Leonard to Fifth are separated from the eternal green flow by pylons.
Wait, it's all Ohio? Always has been.

TheHighwayMan3561

I know of two in the Twin Cities.

Valley View Road at MN 62 in Edina - this is a half-diamond interchange, eastbound exit/westbound entrance to the freeway. Northbound thru traffic on Valley View has a permanent green at the ramp to westbound 62 unless the pedestrian button is pressed.

MN 280 at Broadway Ave in Roseville - Traffic headed east on Broadway can only turn right onto southbound 280. Northbound thru traffic on 280 has a permanent green. I believe the modification to right-turn only for Broadway traffic onto southbound 280 was made after I-35W reopened in 2009. This is a truer example compared to the previous one, since pedestrians are not allowed to cross here.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Ace10

Here's a permanent right-turn green arrow signal where US 30 turns from west along Broadway St to north along 10th St in Baker City OR. This intersection's also one of several in Oregon where you can see a stop sign with another sign that reads "Right turn permitted without stopping" posted below it.

Another one when traveling northbound on John Young Pkwy at FL 417 in Hunters Creek.

I swear there was another one at a mall entrance somewhere but I can't find it.

GaryV

Troy MI.  Westbound 14 Mile Rd just west of I-75.  There's a double left turn lane to the SB entrance ramp with full signals.  But the 2 through lanes have an eternal green arrow.

wanderer2575

Westbound Ecorse Road at I-275 in Van Buren Township MI has double right turn lanes with eternal greens.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.249203,-83.4362956,3a,75y,270.34h,75.8t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sGM4OOLyVDDDm4gLh_tz-5A!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

(BTW, the pavement has been replaced since this street view was made -- Wonder of Wonders in Michigan!)

roadman65

FL A1A at FL 404 in South Patrick Shores, FL has a right lane continuous green where the arrow never goes out.

NB John Young Parkway at the FL 417 SB ramp in Hunters Creek, FL has two of them as its only a left turn signal light with the SB lanes.  Both have 24/7 greens there for straight through

SB FL 535 at Osceola Parkway has a left turn signal at the EB ramp.  No need for the SB lanes to stop ever, but only added two permanent arrows just recently.  Originally only the turning lanes has a red signal and the straight through had nothing, until Osceola County added a brand new mast arm there.  Only side mounts were used for the left turn signals which were removed for the now present mast arm planted on the right side of the roadway going SB spanning over all the SB lanes.

I brought this up before but EB US 90 at I-310 in LA, has a full signal that never turns red.  Only the the WB lanes does for the permissive left turn allowed going from EB US 90 to the NB interstate.  IMO permanent arrows should be used there going EB while the permissive turn should get a flashing red arrow allowing motorists to turn left when the WB lanes have a full green and the green arrow for when the traffic is stopped going WB.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

WashuOtaku

Permanent right turn light, located at the southbound exit ramp at Gold Hill Road, near Tega Cay, South Carolina.

And this one use to exist till the end of 2014, the two regular signals were always on green with only the left turning lane changing.  Gone now thanks to a fly-over, this setup existed a good decade.

roadman

Permanent green right turn arrow for the far right lane on US 1 south that leads to the I-95/128 entrance ramp at the 'jughandle' in Peabody, MA.  It's a holdover from the days before I-95 between Danvers and Lynnfield was completed, and I-95 traffic had to use a short section of US 1.
"And ninety-five is the route you were on.  It was not the speed limit sign."  - Jim Croce (from Speedball Tucker)

"My life has been a tapestry
Of years of roads and highway signs" (with apologies to Carole King and Tom Rush)

Pete from Boston

287 EB exit for Hutchinson River Parkway, left lane (to Hutch northbound) is always green.

Rothman

I'm surprised I wasn't beaten to the punch on this one (Western Ave WB to Northway):

https://goo.gl/maps/UfJmWGqfkUq

Actually, I also like that intersection from this angle.  We really do not want you to enter!

https://goo.gl/maps/X7U27UHsArQ2
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

ekt8750

The right green arrow here in Marple Twp, PA where PA 320 splits off of Springfield Rd is permanently green as that lane splits off and doesn't conflict with any other movements in the intersection.

realjd

We have a bunch of them here in Brevard County FL along US1, and the one roadman65 mentioned above along A1A by Patrick AFB. They can use them along parts of US1 because in places the road is right along the lagoon without a sidewalk on that side so they don't need crosswalks.

Typical style around here is to give the left lane a standard set of lights and give the right lane or two a green arrow:
US1 at Port Malabar Blvd in Palm Bay
US1 at Cherry Lane in Melbourne

jwolfer

Quote from: realjd on March 25, 2016, 07:06:39 PM
We have a bunch of them here in Brevard County FL along US1, and the one roadman65 mentioned above along A1A by Patrick AFB. They can use them along parts of US1 because in places the road is right along the lagoon without a sidewalk on that side so they don't need crosswalks.

Typical style around here is to give the left lane a standard set of lights and give the right lane or two a green arrow:
US1 at Port Malabar Blvd in Palm Bay
US1 at Cherry Lane in Melbourne
There used to be quite a few continuous green right lanes around Jacksonville and the rest of Florida when the cross street only went to one side, especially on busy roads.  Most have been changed to standard traffic lights.  From what I read it was for safety; pedestrian and drivers. People would switch lanes quickly to not get caught at a red light. Also the left or fast lane was stopped, not expected.

When I was going to the University of North Florida in the early 1990s the entrance off St Johns Bluff Rd had one. Now it SJB Rd in that area is The i295 East beltway

Revive 755

A decent number of them in Chicagoland:

* SB Quentin Road at Euclid Avenue near Palatine:  Streetview

* SB Meacham Road at Schaumburg Road in Schaumburg:  Streetview

* The Martingale Road intersection with Schaumburg Road in Schaumburg has two:  One for SB to WB, and one for EB to SB.  SB StreetviewEB Streetview

* WB IL 58 to NB McConnor Parkway in Schaumburg:  Streetview

* I believe SB I-355 to WB US 20/Lake Street has one, but it's not show on Streetview.

* EB Fabyian Parkway to EB IL 38 recently had one added

* I believe there is at least one, maybe two in McHenry County leading onto WB/SB Rakow Road.

mariethefoxy

theres one on NY 106-107 in Hicksville at Bethpage Road, and on NY 110 in Melvile.

Ive noticed sometimes they just don't bother posting anything, just the turn arrow lights. Seen that in South Nashua on Spit Brook Road.

Bruce

Very popular in seagull intersections, like this one in Everett, Washington:

(Broadway & 40th Street)

empirestate

Wow, all the way to post #20 before anybody brought up this.

roadfro

Quote from: empirestate on March 26, 2016, 12:36:46 AM

Perhaps because we're discussing eternal green lights...:hmmm:
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

slorydn1

Quote from: Revive 755 on March 25, 2016, 11:31:34 PM
A decent number of them in Chicagoland:

* SB Quentin Road at Euclid Avenue near Palatine:  Streetview

* SB Meacham Road at Schaumburg Road in Schaumburg:  Streetview

* The Martingale Road intersection with Schaumburg Road in Schaumburg has two:  One for SB to WB, and one for EB to SB.  SB StreetviewEB Streetview

* WB IL 58 to NB McConnor Parkway in Schaumburg:  Streetview

* I believe SB I-355 to WB US 20/Lake Street has one, but it's not show on Streetview.

* EB Fabyian Parkway to EB IL 38 recently had one added

* I believe there is at least one, maybe two in McHenry County leading onto WB/SB Rakow Road.

The one I bolded really brought back a memory. My doctor's office was in that white 2 story building back in the 80's!

You also covered all the one's that I can remember (I lived off of Martingale in the late 80's). I haven't seen an eternal green (that I am aware of, anyway) since I left Schaumburg in 1991.
Please Note: All posts represent my personal opinions and do not represent those of any governmental agency, non-governmental agency, quasi-governmental agency or wanna be governmental agency

Counties: Counties Visited

empirestate

Quote from: roadfro on March 26, 2016, 03:39:57 AM

Perhaps because we're discussing eternal green lights...:hmmm:

I have not known that to stop people from changing the subject in other threads, and almost immediately to boot.

steviep24

CNGL-Leudimin

When I first saw this thread I was about to post that, which is exactly the opposite:
Quote from: NE2 on February 02, 2013, 05:41:13 PM

End thread.

AFAIK it now turns green.
Supporter of the construction of several running gags, including I-366 with a speed limit of 85 mph (137 km/h) and the Hypotenuse.

Please note that I may mention "invalid" FM channels, i.e. ending in an even number or down to 87.5. These are valid in Europe.

dgolub

Jericho Turnpike (NY 25) westbound at East Deer Park Road (Suffolk CR 66) in Deer Park, NY.  There's literally nothing for the green arrow for vehicles going straight to change to.

https://www.google.com/maps/@40.8361562,-73.3351109,3a,75y,231.01h,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sxehV2ktNzNGoSP9F9V9grg!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.