News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

States which require special access to clinch all roads

Started by Duke87, June 23, 2014, 08:31:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeffandnicole

Quote from: froggie on July 13, 2015, 06:51:44 AM
Quote from: Jim
Quote from: oscarAs for NY, that "U-turn" (really a left turn, followed by another left on the other side of a median parking lot) between the end of I-781 and the Fort Drum guard station appears to be NOT illegal, as previously discussed elsewhere on this forum.  There are armed sentries at the gate, none of which lodged any objection when I used that turnaround.

Has anyone done this recently?  My upcoming travels will include I-81 through the Watertown area, and I'll definitely take I-781 from I-81 to US 11.  I'd like to get a full clinch by going up to this turnaround before the Fort Drum gate, but it's not worth it to me if it's going to cause the base guards or other authorities to get upset.

Given how close that turnaround is to the gate, I'd be wary of using the U-turn like that, especially if one is taking pictures or if the security threat level is higher.  Oscar and Anthony may have been successful without arousing suspicion, but it's only a matter of time before someone else isn't.

The point of these turnarounds is simply to turn around.  People roll up to bases all the time like this accidently.  Turning around wouldn't arouse any suspicion. Rolling up to the gate isn't all that unusual either...although don't have anything suspicious within eyesight of the guard.

roadman65

I think that prematurely making a u turn would arouse more suspicion than going through the guard gates.  Just as slowing down in the presence of a cop, arouses suspicion in the officer as he thinks like you have something to hide or are intoxicated, the same principal applies to an MP.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

jeffandnicole

Quote from: roadman65 on July 15, 2015, 10:08:56 AM
I think that prematurely making a u turn would arouse more suspicion than going through the guard gates.  Just as slowing down in the presence of a cop, arouses suspicion in the officer as he thinks like you have something to hide or are intoxicated, the same principal applies to an MP.

When I was helping at a volunteer event near the South Philly Navy Base one afternoon (doing traffic control...go figure!), it was incredibly frequent that a motorist would be driving down Broad Street, see the gate, realized that's not where they wanted to go, and turned around. Since I was standing there, many of them were in need of directions to get to the highway or the airport. 

If you notice in the aerial photos, it's not like there's a chorus of patrol cars there waiting to stop and question people.  Thus, not only wouldn't it arouse suspicion, but most secured facilities have a turn around area in front of the gate specifically for this purpose.

Bickendan

Clinching Washington requires entry into Oregon: WA 433 has pavement in Oregon and for practical purposes connects to US 30, even if it is physically limited to the span of the Lewis and Clark Bridge.
WA 409 has a ferry crossing over the Columbia to Westport, Oregon, and since ferries are part of the WA highway system, it terminates at the shore on the Oregon side, with OSM including Westport Ferry Rd to US 30 as part of WA 409...

If British Columbia follows a similar setup, BC 17 would clip the northern corner of Washington's waters during the ferry crossing from Vancouver Island to the mainland.

Bruce

Quote from: Bickendan on July 15, 2015, 11:44:35 AM
Clinching Washington requires entry into Oregon: WA 433 has pavement in Oregon and for practical purposes connects to US 30, even if it is physically limited to the span of the Lewis and Clark Bridge.
WA 409 has a ferry crossing over the Columbia to Westport, Oregon, and since ferries are part of the WA highway system, it terminates at the shore on the Oregon side, with OSM including Westport Ferry Rd to US 30 as part of WA 409...

If British Columbia follows a similar setup, BC 17 would clip the northern corner of Washington's waters during the ferry crossing from Vancouver Island to the mainland.

WA 409 doesn't include its ferry (which is operated by the county) in the legislative definition or state highway logs. The WSF ferries were added in 1994 (including the now unclinchable WA 339, whose state ferry route was transferred over to the county as a water taxi) and the WA 21 ferry has been there for a while.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.