Place names and roads name after two people

Started by golden eagle, July 09, 2015, 11:35:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

golden eagle

There's Lewis & Clark County, Montana, and the city of Wilkes-Barre, PA, is named after two members of the British parliament. Near Hattiesburg, MS, Sullivan-Kilrain Rd. is named for the two men who participated in what's believed to be the last-sanctioned bare knuckle prizefight.

TheHighwayMan3561

There are the MacDonald-Cartier Bridge and Airport in Ottawa.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

cpzilliacus

Lee Jackson Highway (U.S. 50) in parts of Fairfax County and the City of Fairfax in Northern Virginia.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

roadman65

The new bridge carrying US 93 across the Colorado River. Mike O'Callaghan—Pat Tillman Memorial Bridge is given to the arched Hoover Dam Bypass.

Hartsfield- Jackson International Airport in Atlanta.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Chris19001

Mason-Dixon this or that around the MD, PA border..

Brandon

Since we have place names, there's also Woodfield Mall in Schaumburg, Illinois.  Named for Robert E. Wood, CEO of Sears, and Marshall Field, founder of Marshall Field & Co.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Big John

Or Ross-Ade Stadium at Purdue University?

SectorZ

Any "Martin Luther King" whatever, technically.

1995hoo

Carl Smith Center, Home of David A. Harrison III Field at Scott Stadium (seriously, that's the full name of UVA's football stadium and immediate surrounding area–Scott donated the money to build the stadium around 1930, Harrison funded replacing the AstroTurf with grass in 1995, and Smith gave a huge donation towards expanding the stadium in the late 1990s). 

Some people argue that Ronald Reagan Washington National Airport is named for two presidents. I don't entirely agree in that the city is certainly named for the president, but the airport's name contains "Washington" solely because of the city, not directly because of the president.
"You know, you never have a guaranteed spot until you have a spot guaranteed."
—Olaf Kolzig, as quoted in the Washington Times on March 28, 2003,
commenting on the Capitals clinching a playoff spot.

"That sounded stupid, didn't it?"
—Kolzig, to the same reporter a few seconds later.

Kacie Jane

Quote from: Cjzani on July 10, 2015, 02:03:46 PM

Technically does not mean what you think it means.  There are thousands of thousands of people who have/had the last name Washington, but it's bloody obvious which one my state is named after, and I can't claim it was technically also named after hundreds of people no one has ever heard of.

I'm being a bit hyperbolic of course, but just because MLK Jr's father was also moderately famous doesn't mean those streets were "technically" named after him as well.

TEG24601

They said take a left at the fork in the road.  I didn't think they literally meant a fork, until plain as day, there was a fork sticking out of the road at a junction.

SectorZ

Quote from: Kacie Jane on July 10, 2015, 03:07:03 PM

Technically does not mean what you think it means.  There are thousands of thousands of people who have/had the last name Washington, but it's bloody obvious which one my state is named after, and I can't claim it was technically also named after hundreds of people no one has ever heard of.

I'm being a bit hyperbolic of course, but just because MLK Jr's father was also moderately famous doesn't mean those streets were "technically" named after him as well.

Wow, you missed the joke, I was referring to Martin Luther from the 1500's...

jwolfer

Clay County Florida has "Hall and Boree Rd"

Kacie Jane

Quote from: Cjzani on July 10, 2015, 05:44:37 PM
Quote from: Kacie Jane on July 10, 2015, 03:07:03 PM

Wow, you missed the joke, I was referring to Martin Luther from the 1500's...

Point stands, though I suppose my hyperbolic analogy doesn't apply.  Sorry if it was just a joke, but rampant misuse of the words "technically" and "literally" is among my biggest pet peeves.

Bruce

Technically, King County, WA. Originally named for William Rufus King and renamed for Martin Luther King Jr. in 1986 (but not recognized by the state until 2005).

Personally, I think the name should've been dropped in favor of something else (Duwamish County to match the other counties named for local tribes?) if at all. The real victim of the namesake change was the loss of the crown logo/seal for King County, which was pretty great, replaced by MLK's face, which from a graphic design standpoint is hideous to use.

Takumi

Quote from: Rothman on July 15, 2021, 07:52:59 AM
Olive Garden must be stopped.  I must stop them.

Don't @ me. Seriously.

kkt

Quote from: Bruce on July 10, 2015, 10:07:32 PM
Technically, King County, WA. Originally named for William Rufus King and renamed for Martin Luther King Jr. in 1986 (but not recognized by the state until 2005).

Personally, I think the name should've been dropped in favor of something else (Duwamish County to match the other counties named for local tribes?) if at all. The real victim of the namesake change was the loss of the crown logo/seal for King County, which was pretty great, replaced by MLK's face, which from a graphic design standpoint is hideous to use.

But King County was never named for more than one person at the same time.

Bruce

Quote from: kkt on July 11, 2015, 12:19:17 AM
Quote from: Bruce on July 10, 2015, 10:07:32 PM

But King County was never named for more than one person at the same time.

Well, from 1986 to 2005, the state had the namesake listed as Rufus King and the county had the namesake listed as MLK.

hotdogPi

Is there anything named "Wright", after the Wright brothers? I can't find any.
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

DandyDan

Quote from: 1 on July 11, 2015, 06:49:12 AM
Is there anything named "Wright", after the Wright brothers? I can't find any.
The road from I-380 to the Eastern Iowa Airport in Cedar Rapids is Wright Brothers Blvd.  Then there's Wright-Patterson AFB in Dayton, Ohio.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

txstateends

Mabank, TX -- named for the co-owners of a ranch that donated land for the townsite on a railroad that had built through the area.  Sometimes misspelled 'Maybank'.
\/ \/ click for a bigger image \/ \/

Rothman

Marsh-Billings-Rockefeller NHP in Vermont.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position(s) of NYSDOT.

roadman65

Washington- Rochambeau is used someplace I have seen on some green signs somewhere near Washington, DC.  I believe its a touring route someplace in Virginia, but I cannot be sure.  I just remember seeing the signs during my travels popping up at various points, but where and when I could not say.

However, it fits the bill for the OP.

Edit: I just googled it and found that it is a historic trail designated by the National Park Service that connects many metropolitan areas around the north-east.  That would explain where I saw them as I did grow up in that region of the country. 
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

DandyDan

One I forgot about earlier is WaKeeney, Kansas, named for its 2 founders, Albert Warren and James Keeney.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

TheHighwayMan3561

Technically, Le Mars, IA was named after six people  :sombrero:
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.