News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

"Zero" Street

Started by robbones, July 22, 2015, 09:48:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

robbones

I was curious if there are any towns/cities that have a "Zero" street besides Fort Smith, Arkansas

Big John

Zero Street in Cumberland WI
Zero Avenue on the Canadian side of the border east of Blaine WA.

Bruce

0 Ave on the Canada-U.S. border in Douglas, BC: https://goo.gl/maps/nw6SK

dgolub

Manhattan has Houston Street and York Avenue, which are like 0 Street and 0 Avenue, even if they're not called it.  Also, there's exit 0 on the Garden State Parkway (NJ 444) in Cape May.

busman_49

Kokomo, IN has County Road 00 EW

jp the roadgeek

Philadelphia has Delaware Avenue as a de facto 0 St. Of course, there are no First or 14th St, as those are called Front and Broad, respectively.
Interstates I've clinched: 97, 290 (MA), 291 (CT), 291 (MA), 293, 295 (DE-NJ-PA), 295 (RI-MA), 384, 391, 395 (CT-MA), 395 (MD), 495 (DE), 610 (LA), 684, 691, 695 (MD), 695 (NY), 795 (MD)

ekt8750

Quote from: jp the roadgeek on July 23, 2015, 09:08:50 AM
Philadelphia has Delaware Avenue as a de facto 0 St. Of course, there are no First or 14th St, as those are called Front and Broad, respectively.

I think Delaware Av would technically be A St on the grid and Water St would be 0 St. but Front St is used as the line of demarcation between the East and West quadrants of the main grid (we're not going to talk about how there are East streets in Northwestern portion of the city).

cpzilliacus

Quote from: robbones on July 22, 2015, 09:48:29 PM
I was curious if there are any towns/cities that have a "Zero" street besides Fort Smith, Arkansas

The District of Columbia has the "Capitol" Streets, which mark the divide between the quadrants of the city.

North Capitol Street divides the Northwest and Northeast quadrants;
East Capitol Street divides Northeast and Southeast quadrants; and
South Capitol Street divides Southeast from Southwest.

The middle of the National Mall serves as the never-built West Capitol Street, dividing Northwest from the Southwest.
Opinions expressed here on AAROADS are strictly personal and mine alone, and do not reflect policies or positions of MWCOG, NCRTPB or their member federal, state, county and municipal governments or any other agency.

empirestate

Quote from: dgolub on July 23, 2015, 08:48:38 AM
Manhattan has Houston Street and York Avenue, which are like 0 Street and 0 Avenue, even if they're not called it.

Meh, that's a stretch. Houston spends more time acting like 1st or 2nd Street than it does as a "zero", and York Avenue is positionally equivalent to Avenue A, suggesting that Manhattan doesn't really have a zero point in its street grid.

iPhone

Bruce

Seattle has a few street grids with their own de facto 0 streets: Queen Anne Avenue (Lower Queen Anne and Queen Anne Hill), Meridian Avenue, Greenwood Avenue...

Tacoma has their own at Division Avenue, which becomes 6th Avenue (no N/S suffix) and acting like a 0th Avenue.

CtrlAltDel

Quote from: empirestate on July 23, 2015, 01:08:12 PM
Meh, that's a stretch. Houston spends more time acting like 1st or 2nd Street than it does as a "zero", and York Avenue is positionally equivalent to Avenue A, suggesting that Manhattan doesn't really have a zero point in its street grid.

Well, to be fair, Zero Street in Fort Smith isn't a baseline street either. It's used to continue the pattern of Waco, Xavier, and Yuma streets.
Interstates clinched: 4, 57, 275 (IN-KY-OH), 465 (IN), 640 (TN), 985
State Interstates clinched: I-26 (TN), I-75 (GA), I-75 (KY), I-75 (TN), I-81 (WV), I-95 (NH)

Super Mateo

Quote from: dgolub on July 23, 2015, 08:48:38 AM
Manhattan has Houston Street and York Avenue, which are like 0 Street and 0 Avenue, even if they're not called it.  Also, there's exit 0 on the Garden State Parkway (NJ 444) in Cape May.

If we're going to do that, we might as well include State and Madison Streets in Chicago, which represent 0 in the address system.  I have never seen a 0 Street.

empirestate

Does the placement of quotes around "Zero" mean we're only looking for streets literally named this? Or are they they type of quotes that mean it's not literally called that, but can be thought of as such?

(And isn't it frustrating that quotation marks can mean both that something is literally so and that it isn't literally so?)

iPhone

Zmapper

Not a street exactly, but related:

RTD in Denver operates its buses on a grid system, where most routes tend to follow a single grid road for many miles. Consequently, RTD numbers its bus lines by the street block number; Route 38 runs primarily on 38th Avenue, or the 3800 block north of Ellsworth Avenue; Route 40 runs primarily on Colorado Boulevard, or the 4000 block east of Broadway. Slight adjustments are generally limited to using a consecutive number in the case of two roads with bus service with the same block number.

As a result of RTD's nomenclature, Broadway's bus line (which is the second busiest bus route) is Route 0, with a peak-hour express service numbered Route 0 Limited. The general consensus is to pronounce the line as "Route Zero" (as opposed to "Route Oh").

Kacie Jane

Quote from: Bruce on July 23, 2015, 03:25:20 PM
Seattle has a few street grids with their own de facto 0 streets: Queen Anne Avenue (Lower Queen Anne and Queen Anne Hill), Meridian Avenue, Greenwood Avenue...

Nope.  You're correct on Queen Anne Avenue, which lies between 1st Avenue N and 1st Avenue NW and serves as the zero point there.

However, for Greenwood, you forgot Palatine as the first named avenue.  And it's not a zero point.  The blocks on either side of 1st Avenue NW are both 100 (NW on the west side, N on the east side), then Palatine marks the 200 block, Greenwood 300, etc.

Meridian Avenue N isn't close.  Corliss appears most often, with as many as three other avenues between Meridian and 1st Ave NE as well.  (And similar to the other side, 1st NE is the 100 block for NE addresses, with no 00 block.)

robbones

Quote from: empirestate on July 23, 2015, 06:48:47 PM
Does the placement of quotes around "Zero" mean we're only looking for streets literally named this? Or are they they type of quotes that mean it's not literally called that, but can be thought of as such?

(And isn't it frustrating that quotation marks can mean both that something is literally so and that it isn't literally so?)

iPhone
I was wanting actual street name. Zero Avenue also counts.

empirestate

Quote from: robbones on July 24, 2015, 01:01:36 PM

iPhone

And presumably you'll accept the numeral 0 as well?

iPhone

robbones

Quote from: empirestate on July 24, 2015, 01:31:09 PM

iPhone

iPhone
Correct

empirestate

Quote from: robbones on July 24, 2015, 03:00:20 PM
Quote from: empirestate on July 24, 2015, 01:31:09 PM

iPhone

iPhone
Correct

Well, the Mississippi example above is notable for not referring to a grid, but actually to a locality called Zero that the road goes through.

Otherwise, how about Zero streets that are associated with a letter grid, not a numbered one?

iPhone

DandyDan

Alan Ginsberg wrote a poem which referred to O Street in Lincoln, Nebraska as "Zero" Street.  Oddly enough, it is the street which is the north-south dividing line there.
MORE FUN THAN HUMANLY THOUGHT POSSIBLE

Scott5114

Probably shouldn't list streets that "act as a zero street" because pretty much every city that uses numbered streets to fix addresses will have one or two of them.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.