News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

State Suffixed Highways

Started by DrZoidberg, February 25, 2009, 08:58:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrZoidberg

I was curious if there are any other state highways that are suffixed.  I realize that a lot of states in the east have suffixed US routes, but not state highways, at least from what the atlas I have shows.

Oregon 99E and 99W are state highways that are suffixed (though they once were US 99 suffixes).  Another interesting thing is that the cancelled I-305 in Salem is Business OR-99E (probably the only business suffixed route I've seen)

Oregon also has OR 42S near Coos Bay, but absent is 42N...just plain ole 42.

Anywhere else that suffixes state highways?
"By the way...I took the liberty of fertilizing your caviar."

mightyace

Probably the most famous is Florida A1A.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

DrZoidberg

QuoteProbably the most famous is Florida A1A.

I think I remember reading that this is designated as such because Florida uses a grid system, and it's the highway that's furthest east.  Is that correct?

Fixed your quote coding -DTP

mightyace

Something like that.

Here's a few from New York State.  First, NY 17C runs parallel to NY 17/Future I-86 from Binghamton to at least Waverly.  (It's probably the original NY 17 alignment.)

Plus, NY 9A the West Side Highway (former West Side Elevated) and Henry Hudson Pkwy.   Runs through Manhattan to Peekskill, NY.

It also looks like there's a NY 7A that is duplexed with US 11 from the PA line to Binghamton.

Also, on the Wikipedia page for NY 9A it lists it as intersecting NY 100B and NY 100C.
My Flickr Photos: http://www.flickr.com/photos/mightyace

I'm out of this F***KING PLACE!

Scott5114

Oklahoma has a whole system of them. Short spur routes from a main route get lettered suffixes. OK 74 has the most–there is an OK 74A, 74B, 74C, 74D, 74E, and 74F. At one time there was a G too.

US 77 probably has the weirdest set–OK 77C, 77D, 77H, and 77S!
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

corco

The "S" in Oregon 42S stands for Spur if I'm not badly mistaken- Oregon signs its spur routes with an "S" suffix but 42S is the only spur they sign. There's also an implied 86S as well as some others

Missouri has one or two left from a formerly much larger system with MOs 64A and B

Bryant5493

Georgia, I can't think of any here.

Be well,

Bryant
Check out my YouTube page (http://youtube.com/Bryant5493). I have numerous road videos of Metro Atlanta and other areas in the Southeast.

I just signed up on photobucket -- here's my page (http://s594.photobucket.com/albums/tt24/Bryant5493).

Alex

Florida uses them besides A1A, there is Florida 15A around DeLand, Florida 50A at Brooksville, and Florida 9A around Jacksonville, of those that are actually signed. Many are now county signs and some are unsigned (Florida 8A for I-110, Florida 10A on U.S. 90 in Pensacola).

FLRoads

Also in Florida there is signed Florida 24A and Florida 26A, both located in Gainesville.

Alex

Arkansas uses suffixes in its state system as well.

DrZoidberg

I guess I should've been a bit more specific. Are there other "directional" suffixed state highways? N,S,E,W that are split alignments of one highway?

rmsandw

Illinois does not on their official highway system.  They have a few highways that are marked with internal numbers, one that I have found has a suffix.  IL 136A, or U.S. 136A
http://www.angelfire.com/rnb/bill16/spurus136a.html
http://roads.billburmaster.com  Roads of the Mid-South & West
http://www.youtube.com/user/rmsandw YouTube Channel
http://www.billburmaster.com

Duke87

New York gets weird with their lettering on a couple routes. NY 17 has spur routes 17A, 17B, 17C, 17K, and 17M. Seems odd, though most of the missing letters in there are decommissioned routes (D, E, F, G, H, and J).
And then you have the larger and weirder set: 9A, 9B, 9D, 9G, 9H, 9J, 9L, 9N, 9P, 9R, and 9W. Again, many of the missing letters up through N are former routes tat have been renumbered or decommissioned. The full set, past and present, is 9A, 9B, 9C, 9D, 9E, 9F, 9G, 9H, 9J, 9K, 9L, 9M, 9N, 9P, 9R, 9W, 9X. O presumably wasn't used due to the potential to confuse it with a 0 and I due to potential confusion with 1.
The weird part is that all of these state routes are actually spurs off of US route 9 (except 9W, which is also a US route).

New Jersey has an interesting tendency to number routes as spurs Interstate or US style- e.g., NJ 124 is a spur of (actually, the former routing of) NJ 24. It does not, however, have any letter suffixed routes unless you count the unsigned NJ 76C, a short spur off I-76.

Connecticut has historically had many letter suffixed routes although only six remain: US 1A, CT 2A, CT 14A, CT 17A, CT 71A, and CT 182A.
If you always take the same road, you will never see anything new.

Tarkus

I have to say, I'm not a huge fan of suffixed routes, aside from the occasional East/West/North/South.  They just don't sit right with me for some odd reason.

There are actually a couple other "S" spur routes in Oregon that I don't believe are signed, as they're part of "post-2002" routes, which ODOT has been lazy in signing.  I believe OR-104 has a Spur up around Fort Stevens State Park, and OR-422 in Chiloquin also has one.  I'd generally prefer to just see those either removed or given separate numbers.  42S needs a new number, I think.

-Alex (Tarkus)

Alex

Quote from: DrZoidberg on February 25, 2009, 11:46:23 PM
I guess I should've been a bit more specific. Are there other "directional" suffixed state highways? N,S,E,W that are split alignments of one highway?

Outside of the U.S. highways, I don't believe that there are many, if any.

mapman

California doesn't have many suffixed routes, but three I can think of offhand are 14U, 86S, and 156U.

86S is a "spur" route, the future expressway alignment of 86S.  This route is actually signed as 86S in the field.

14U and 156U are superseded state highways that the state has yet to give to the local agencies (i.e. "unrelinquished").

CityBoy1986

The only example I can think of in Mississippi isn't so much a split route as a spur, but it has the direction:  9W.  It intersects Miss. 9 only once.

At least one other route did that in the past, Miss. 13W (present Miss. 35 south of U.S. 98).  Miss. 45W (now Alt. U.S. 45 or U.S. 45A, depending on signage) was a close example of what you are looking for, since it did intersect U.S. 45 twice, but 45 wasn't (isn't) Miss. 45E.

Rob Adams

New York has so many, including 6N, which I grew up near.  There used to be even more.

Scott5114

The only directional split highway in Oklahoma is OK-3, which bifurcates into 3E and 3W between Shawnee and Ada.
uncontrollable freak sardine salad chef

Voyager

Other than 86S and the 35E and W, I've never heard of any other ones.
Back From The Dead | AARoads Forum Original

bugo

Quote from: DrZoidberg on February 25, 2009, 11:46:23 PM

Arkansas has a 58E (which used to be US 62/63) but no 58W.  AR 1 used to split into 1E and 1W at Paragould.  There is also an unsigned AR 23W in Madison County, but no 23E.

TheStranger

Quote from: voyager on February 28, 2009, 03:47:23 PM
Other than 86S and the 35E and W, I've never heard of any other ones.

California had I-15E for about 8-9 years (after I-15 was originally routed on former Route 31 and Route 71 through Ontario and Corona) on what is now I-215; this was originally retained after suffixed spur routes like I-80S and such were renumbrered in 1980, as it (like the I-35 splits) did return to its parent.

Suffixed routes only happened several times previously in California, notably US 99E and 99W twice in the Central Valley, and US 101E and US 101W in the Bay Area.
Chris Sampang

Alps

Quote from: Duke87 on February 26, 2009, 12:39:33 AM
New Jersey has an interesting tendency to number routes as spurs Interstate or US style- e.g., NJ 124 is a spur of (actually, the former routing of) NJ 24. It does not, however, have any letter suffixed routes unless you count the unsigned NJ 76C, a short spur off I-76.

NJ had more prefixed and suffixed routes than you could ever remember.  Until 1953, there were S- prefixed routes (spurs), and -A and -B suffixed routes, sometimes both (S-4-D was one, for example).  The renumbering in 1953 eliminated all of these.  There were also 5N, 6N, and 8N, holdovers from the original 1920's numbering system (5, 6, 8) that were not yet renumbered.

PAHighways

There are no signed suffixed routes in Pennsylvania outside of US 6N which is technically SR 3006.  PennDOT does catalog some local roads with suffixes in their county route logs.

algorerhythms

Maryland has a large number of suffixed routes, but most of them are very minor - generally fragments of former segments of state highways, or short connections to places along the road. As far as I know, only one such route is actually signed with its letter (835A, if I remember correctly). In all the other cases where a suffixed route is signed, the letter is omitted. For example, all the versions of MD 144 have different suffixes, but are all signed as MD 144.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.