The first two interchanges on I-55/64 (nee 70) in Illinois

Started by bugo, March 15, 2014, 10:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bugo

Why do they have these overpowered interchanges that feed into city streets?  Wouldn't trumpets be sufficient?

rawmustard

Quote from: bugo on March 15, 2014, 10:38:55 AM
Why do they have these overpowered interchanges that feed into city streets?  Wouldn't trumpets be sufficient?

There probably were proposed freeways which were never built. It's similar to where overpowered interchanges appear elsewhere.

Alex

The first was for a planned freeway for IL 3 south to Cahokia.

The second was for an unconstructed freeway for U.S. 460, leading southeast to the Missouri Avenue (Illinois 15) expressway at I-255.

Henry

Quote from: rawmustard on March 15, 2014, 10:46:38 AM

There probably were proposed freeways which were never built. It's similar to where overpowered interchanges appear elsewhere.
Either that, or stub ramps that lead to nowhere, which are sometimes incorporated into existing interchanges.
Go Cubs Go! Go Cubs Go! Hey Chicago, what do you say? The Cubs are gonna win today!

Brandon

Quote from: Alex on March 15, 2014, 10:48:48 AM

The second was for an unconstructed freeway for U.S. 460, leading southeast to the Missouri Avenue (Illinois 15) expressway at I-255.

Yes.  The PSB area was supposed to be the meeting point for several freeways on the Illinois side that never came to fruition.  In a way, thank goodness for that.  It would be a bigger mess than it already is.

IIRC, that US-460 freeway was supposed to incorporate the expressway/freeway portions of IL-15 around Belleville.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

Molandfreak

U.S. 50 supplemental freeway: I-44? :hmmm: :-D
Quote from: Max Rockatansky on December 05, 2023, 08:24:57 PM
AASHTO attributes 28.5% of highway inventory shrink to bad road fan social media posts.

Brandon

Quote from: Molandfreak on March 17, 2014, 05:44:03 PM

U.S. 50 supplemental freeway: I-44? :hmmm: :-D

I-64 was supposed to have followed US-50 more closely.  There's a segment of freeway around Lawrenceville and Vincennes that was built prior to the interstate having been moved to the current corridor.

It is also suspected, but not entirely proven, that I-24 was supposed to go to St Louis.  I have no idea where I-24 would've gone, but one of those freeway stubs may be the end point.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

NE2

All the Interstate planning maps I've seen show I-24 ending at I-57, either where it does now or near Cairo. Here's a summary of the early planning: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=S7waAAAAIBAJ&sjid=60UEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7106%2C2763229
There was also a proposal to continue it from Cairo to I-55 at Scott City: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=8cwfAAAAIBAJ&sjid=mNgEAAAAIBAJ&pg=3640%2C3594514
Nowhere is a route into East St. Louis mentioned.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Revive 755

Quote from: Brandon on March 17, 2014, 04:00:27 PM
IIRC, that US-460 freeway was supposed to incorporate the expressway/freeway portions of IL-15 around Belleville.

Technically, it depends which study you are reading; I think some, including the early 1970's study by East-West Gateway had the freeway stopping short of I-255 at the IL 15 intersection with IL 163 (not that it would have been hard to add an interchange at IL 163 to get the freeway to I-255).

Quote from: BrandonIt is also suspected, but not entirely proven, that I-24 was supposed to go to St Louis.  I have no idea where I-24 would've gone, but one of those freeway stubs may be the end point.

Had the East St. Louis - Marion supplemental freeway been built (which would have entered the St. Louis area along IL 3), I highly suspect I-24 would have been extended over it.

(Edited to fix quoting error)

Brandon

Quote from: NE2 on March 17, 2014, 06:13:22 PM
All the Interstate planning maps I've seen show I-24 ending at I-57, either where it does now or near Cairo. Here's a summary of the early planning: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=S7waAAAAIBAJ&sjid=60UEAAAAIBAJ&pg=7106%2C2763229
There was also a proposal to continue it from Cairo to I-55 at Scott City: http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=8cwfAAAAIBAJ&sjid=mNgEAAAAIBAJ&pg=3640%2C3594514
Nowhere is a route into East St. Louis mentioned.

It was an IDOT plan as 755 mentioned, not an FHWA/BPR plan.

NE2

Quote from: Brandon on March 17, 2014, 09:38:06 PM
It was an IDOT plan as 755 mentioned, not an FHWA/BPR plan.
Then it wasn't how I-24 was 'supposed to go'.
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.