News:

why is this up in the corner now

Main Menu

Recent posts

Mid-Atlantic / Re: Maryland
Last post by Stephane Dumas - Today at 08:31:02 PM
Looks like the long awaited interchange of MD-4/Suitland Pkwy/MD-337 will finally see the light of the day.
https://web.archive.org/web/20240506044959/https://roads.maryland.gov/mdotsha/pages/pressreleasedetails.aspx?newsId=5026&PageId=818

For some unknown reasons, I can't access the original site, so I used an archived copy on the Wayback Machine. :hmm:
Traffic Control / Re: The actual Worst of Road S...
Last post by epzik8 - Today at 08:28:52 PM
Quote from: machias on May 22, 2024, 10:09:02 PMThis brings new meaning to the phrase "Replace In Kind".  Spotted along K-14 outside of Hutchinson, KS.  Note that's it's on a Super 2 at a grade separated interchange exit.

https://maps.app.goo.gl/kg9yr6ENZQDY8JAT6

Sad thing is some people are naive enough to actually attempt a conventional left or right turn there.
Off-Topic / Re: Random Thoughts
Last post by roadman65 - Today at 08:20:46 PM
Quote from: ZLoth on May 24, 2024, 04:46:03 PM
Quote from: JayhawkCO on May 24, 2024, 01:38:46 PMgenerations are different. Older generations don't choose to embrace the things of the younger, and the younger think the things that the older generations hold onto are antiquated.

Not quite. Each person has a different perspective on "what's important" in their lives, and it may not agree with the parent's definition of "what's important".

Except women nowadays. I see the elderly women embracing nail colors that the younger women as well as previous generations before them wear.  When colors other than clear, pink, and red came out, the elderly of today were parents of girls they wouldn't let wear blue, green, black, or designs. Now they embrace all colors.

Plus many of today's seniors were hippies of the sixties and nail polish on fingers and toes wasn't something of that specific age. Many hippie gals went barefoot and painted toes wasn't attractive for the same reasons wearing bras at the time weren't. 

Along with time beauty products change and it seems that all women now embrace the same fashion when the line of merchandise changes.
Northeast / Re: New Jersey
Last post by SignBridge - Today at 08:13:54 PM
Surprised they spelled out Parkway instead of using just the Parkway logo.
Southeast / Re: North Carolina
Last post by ARMOURERERIC - Today at 08:13:44 PM
I stay a night at Big Lynn lodge once a year, and 226a is a major fun drive.
Northeast / Re: New York State Thruway
Last post by SignBridge - Today at 08:09:08 PM
From everything I've read on this thread, it doesn't seem like the
Thruway Authority realizes very much of anything nowadays.
Southeast / Re: North Carolina
Last post by CanesFan27 - Today at 07:54:19 PM
Matt Steffora, the former webmaster of ncroads.com, once described NC 226A as "No other road's like it."  With 11 miles of curves, 190 in total, NC 226A is a motorcyclist, performance car, or pleasure driver's treat.  Known as 'The Diamondback,' the curves of NC 226A are called 'Down & Dirty,' 'O'Dear Corner,' 'Off The Deep End,' and 'Post Office Sweeper,' among others.
It is a scenic drive that showcases mountain vistas, stunning fall scenery, and waterfalls. The highway serves the summer mountain resort town of Little Switzerland and also the small community of Turkey Cove.

For all of its curves, the history of NC 226A/The Diamondback has a few twists and turns of its own.

A feature on NC 226A, "The Diamondback":
https://www.gribblenation.org/2024/05/nc-226a-diamondback.html
General Highway Talk / Re: Excluding states that bord...
Last post by Bobby5280 - Today at 07:41:39 PM
Here in Lawton I see license plates from all over the country, due in part to Fort Sill. The post is home to one of the Army's boot camps and officers candidate schools. Quite a few soldiers attend AIT here. The Air Defense Artillery School and Counter UAS (Drones) school moved here in recent years. Family members from all over show up to attend graduations. A lot of people who retire from the Army stay in Lawton or move here. I think it's because their retirement pay can go a lot farther in Oklahoma than it can elsewhere in the country.

In recent years there has been a modest influx of new arrivals from coastal states. Out of states that don't border Oklahoma I think the car tags I see the most are ones from California and Georgia. A few plates from New York appear here and there. Same for Utah.

I clinched San Luis Obispo/Montereh County Route G19 yesterday. 

I also clinched an assortment of unnumbered roads yesterday:

-  River Gorge Road, Union Road, Monterey Road and San Marcos Road in San Luis Obispo County.
-  Lockwood-San Lucas Road and Pine Valley Road in Monterey County.   
General Highway Talk / Re: Highways You Have Clinched
Last post by flan - Today at 07:04:05 PM
Today I finished my clinches of MN 32 and MN 9.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.