Will I-515 be renumbered as I-11? Also I-11 Exit numbers in Nevada

Started by Interstate Trav, June 30, 2012, 03:28:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

swbrotha100

Quote from: Rover_0 on July 05, 2012, 03:06:55 AM
Quote from: swbrotha100 on July 04, 2012, 10:23:20 PM
There's the possibility that one day I-11 gets extended north from Las Vegas to Reno.

But, to be honest, that day is a ways away.

Yes, that's true. But the chances of ADOT or the feds renumbering I-17 or I-19 are slim to none.

roadfro

Quote from: brad2971 on July 04, 2012, 05:06:56 AM
Quote from: roadfro on July 04, 2012, 01:51:43 AM
Quote from: swbrotha100 on July 04, 2012, 12:57:28 AM
I-11 is written into law now. What do you think of the Boulder City bypass being tolled? I read that as a possibility in a website for one of the Las Vegas papers.

That is a possibility. The main part of the proposed bypass, between the US 95 and Hoover Dam interchanges, is currently undergoing a feasibility study by the Southern Nevada RTC to see whether constructing and operating it as a toll facility would be a viable way to get it in place. During the last legislative session, a bill was passed that would allow NDOT & RTC to pursue this as a demonstration project--currently, Nevada law does not allow toll road facilities.

Such a toll route would be too easy to 'shunpike;' from Phoenix, you'd simply take I-40 to the US95 turnoff and head north. BTW, some cost estimates for that new terrain bypass were around $300 million. If that was the case, apparently someone in Harry Reid's office is too inexperienced to place an earmark for it.

Nobody's going to go all that way to avoid the toll. An easier "shunpike" would be to simply take the current US 93 route through Boulder City. While it may not retain the same highway/numbering status, the road's not going to go away as it's really the only major access in and out of the city--and it's much shorter than the bypass.

Quote from: mcdonaat on July 04, 2012, 09:24:38 PM
I'm far from Arizona, but looking at maps, it confuses me as to why I-11 is needed instead of a concurrent I-19/I-10, then I-19 splitting off to the north. Any ideas?

Extending I-19 as you suggest to cover the new highway would introduce an overlap with I-10 about 140 miles long. That is way too long of an overlap that is not necessary when there are available numbers in the grid.

EDIT: fixed quote
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

vdeane

Then explain I-73/I-74, which even if fully completed would overlap nearly their entire lengths.
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

agentsteel53

Quote from: deanej on July 05, 2012, 02:44:01 PM
Then explain I-73/I-74, which even if fully completed would overlap nearly their entire lengths.

don't ask me.  I-74 is hideously out of place; it's almost as silly as I-99.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

swbrotha100

Even worse is I-74 sharing a lot of its current/future eastern alignment with US 74 in North Carolina.

vdeane

Quote from: agentsteel53 on July 05, 2012, 02:52:32 PM

don't ask me.  I-74 is hideously out of place; it's almost as silly as I-99.
Almost?  It's more out of place than I-99, and unlike I-99, there are valid numbers for the corridor.  I-99, unlike I-74, was the only number option for its corridor other than I-67 (which PA wants for US 219).
Please note: All comments here represent my own personal opinion and do not reflect the official position of NYSDOT or its affiliates.

flowmotion

Quote from: Zonie on July 04, 2012, 09:06:00 PM
Looks like I-11 would supersede I-515:

http://interstate11.org/exhibits/Interstate%2011%20Corridor%20Map%202-09.pdf

Wow, that "Hassayampa Freeway" around remote outer Phoenix seems pointless. If the intent is to build a truck bypass, why not just drop it down to I-8 somewhere?

swbrotha100

Most older planning maps of Maricopa County or the Buckeye area already had the Hassayampa Freeway planned as a link between I-10 and a future freeway bypass of Wickenburg. AZ 85 is currently being upgraded to combine with I-8 as a freeway bypass of I-10 in Phoenix.

Brandon

Quote from: roadfro on July 05, 2012, 06:21:54 AM
Extending I-19 as you suggest to cover the new highway would introduce an overlap with I-10 about 140 miles long. That is way too long of an overlap that is not necessary when there are available numbers in the grid.

Is it?  I-80 and I-90 are together for far longer than that through Indiana and Ohio.  That's about 116 miles in Indiana and 142 miles in Ohio for a total of 258 miles.  Then there's I-39 and I-90 for about 96 miles, and I-90 and I-94 for about 91 miles (not to mention that they come back together in Illinois).

I-19 going along I-10 for a mere 140 miles isn't all that much when compared to I-80 and I-90.
"If you think this has a happy ending, you haven't been paying attention." - Ramsay Bolton, "Game of Thrones"

"Symbolic of his struggle against reality." - Reg, "Monty Python's Life of Brian"

vdeane

You can also bet your life that the I-80/I-90 multiplex would be a lot shorter if this thing called "Canada" didn't exist.

roadfro

Quote from: Brandon on July 07, 2012, 06:42:37 AM

Is it?  I-80 and I-90 are together for far longer than that through Indiana and Ohio.  That's about 116 miles in Indiana and 142 miles in Ohio for a total of 258 miles.  Then there's I-39 and I-90 for about 96 miles, and I-90 and I-94 for about 91 miles (not to mention that they come back together in Illinois).

I-19 going along I-10 for a mere 140 miles isn't all that much when compared to I-80 and I-90.

Different situation. I-80 and I-90 overlap for necessary continuity purposes of I-90, a major interstate corridor. That multiplex would indeed be far shorter if Canada and the Great Lakes weren't in the way.

If I-19 was a major cross-country route, and it was in two obvious disconnected sections, I'd be all for the long multiplex. (Actually, I'd rather have seen it continue up I-17 instead and use I-17 for what is proposed as I-11, but that's getting into fictional...)
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

national highway 1

Quote from: roadfro on July 08, 2012, 02:09:29 AM

Different situation. I-80 and I-90 overlap for necessary continuity purposes of I-90, a major interstate corridor. That multiplex would indeed be far shorter if Canada and the Great Lakes weren't in the way.

If I-19 was a major cross-country route, and it was in two obvious disconnected sections, I'd be all for the long multiplex. (Actually, I'd rather have seen it continue up I-17 instead and use I-17 for what is proposed as I-11, but that's getting into fictional...)
I was thinking the same thing about I-20/59 in MS/AL, and I-75/85 in Georgia, both 59 and 85 are continuing their diagonal trajectory.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

codyg1985

Getting off topic here, but is there really a need for all of those freeways around Phoenix? That seems like a way to encourage more sprawl than anything else, IMO.

Quote from: flowmotion on July 07, 2012, 03:03:06 AM
Wow, that "Hassayampa Freeway" around remote outer Phoenix seems pointless. If the intent is to build a truck bypass, why not just drop it down to I-8 somewhere?

That seems to make the most sense to me.
Cody Goodman
Huntsville, AL, United States

vdeane

Quote from: roadfro on July 08, 2012, 02:09:29 AM

No need to remove the great lakes unless you want to get rid of the multiplex entirely; I-90 could follow I-94 in MI, ON 402, 403, and the QEW, and part of I-190 in NY before joining its current route.

Compulov

Quote from: deanej on July 08, 2012, 01:03:52 PM
No need to remove the great lakes unless you want to get rid of the multiplex entirely; I-90 could follow I-94 in MI, ON 402, 403, and the QEW, and part of I-190 in NY before joining its current route.

The first International Interstate? :)
It certainly would make GPS vendors happy, since so many of them want to route you through Ontario as if crossing the border is no big deal.

Interstate Trav

Quote from: flowmotion on July 07, 2012, 03:03:06 AM

Well we all know that I-8 in Arizona ha way to high of a traffic count.  Arizona needs another alternate freeway for it.  :P

agentsteel53

actually, a connection from the eastern suburbs of Phoenix to I-8 would be very useful.  347-238 is just not cutting it right now.  lots of traffic lights on 347, and an artificially low speed limit on 238.
live from sunny San Diego.

http://shields.aaroads.com

jake@aaroads.com

Bigmikelakers

This is an interesting map. I always thought I-11 was intended to reach the Mexican border down to Lukeville via AZ-85. I wonder if economy comes back again and spurs new home construction will the construction of I-11 west of Buckeye spur more development out that way? Will I-11 get federal funding? If so, maybe we can get some I-X11 routes from those other proposed freeways on the map. The only proposed freeway that seems odd is that West Prescott Loop. The mountains between Prescott and Wickenburg make it hard to build a freeway through there. But it would make sense to me why Pioneer Pkwy was built.

NE2

Quote from: Bigmikelakers on July 09, 2012, 04:26:39 PM
This is an interesting map. I always thought I-11 was intended to reach the Mexican border down to Lukeville via AZ-85.

hahahahahahahahahaha
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

kkt

This is an interesting map. I always thought I-11 was intended to reach the Mexican border down to Lukeville via AZ-85. I wonder if economy comes back again and spurs new home construction will the construction of I-11 west of Buckeye spur more development out that way? Will I-11 get federal funding? If so, maybe we can get some I-X11 routes from those other proposed freeways on the map. The only proposed freeway that seems odd is that West Prescott Loop. The mountains between Prescott and Wickenburg make it hard to build a freeway through there. But it would make sense to me why Pioneer Pkwy was built.

That would make sense if I-11 were really for freight connections from the Gulf of California ports in Mexico to U.S. and Canadian cities.  It's looking more like a makework program and a number for a Phoenix beltway.

national highway 1

Quote from: kkt on July 09, 2012, 07:17:35 PM

That would make sense if I-11 were really for freight connections from the Gulf of California ports in Mexico to U.S. and Canadian cities.  It's looking more like a makework program and a number for a Phoenix beltway.
Some say that if I-11 were to be extended north to places like Reno and the Northwest, it could function as a major trucking corridor as the western equivalent of I-81.
"Set up road signs; put up guideposts. Take note of the highway, the road that you take." Jeremiah 31:21

Bigmikelakers

Yeah, I thought the one of the main reasons for the I-11 proposal and the Hoover Dam Bypass was not only for a Vegas to Phoenix interstate but, for some sort of NAFTA route to move goods from Mexican ports.

swbrotha100

Quote from: Bigmikelakers on July 09, 2012, 10:00:17 PM

Yeah, I thought the one of the main reasons for the I-11 proposal and the Hoover Dam Bypass was not only for a Vegas to Phoenix interstate but, for some sort of NAFTA route to move goods from Mexican ports.

As a CANAMEX corridor, it would be I-19 to I-10 to I-11 (bypassing Phoenix) to I-15 in Las Vegas, I-15 to Canadian border.

kkt

Quote from: swbrotha100 on July 09, 2012, 10:11:24 PM
As a CANAMEX corridor, it would be I-19 to I-10 to I-11 (bypassing Phoenix) to I-15 in Las Vegas, I-15 to Canadian border.

What would be wrong with I-19 to I-10 to I-8 (bypassing Phoenix) to near Gila Bend, then new I-11 to Las Vegas to I-15?

I'm just not sure why the third parallel E-W freeway in 15 miles needs to be an interstate.

swbrotha100

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.