Bypasses/Beltways that are busier/more congested than the routes they bypass

Started by plain, August 03, 2017, 12:45:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

epzik8

Maryland Route 24 used to go straight through downtown Bel Air, Maryland, as did U.S. Route 1, which was bypassed about 1965. "New Route 24" between U.S. 1 and I-95 in Abingdon was planned before the year 1970. It was Thanksgiving week of 1987 before "New 24" opened to traffic. "Old 24" became Route 924. Initially there was a single traffic signal on "New 24", at U.S. 1 Business on the southeast side of Harford Mall. By the time 1988 arrived, a second light was present, at Boulton Street at the other Harford Mall entrance. More lights came during the next decade, the last of which, at Plumtree Road near the Festival Shopping Center, was switched on around the fall of 1998. As a result, "New 24" is much more crowded than Route 924, which was not the way it was supposed to be; "New 24" was supposed to be an express route connecting U.S. 1 with I-95 and the Aberdeen Proving Ground. This is why the south end of 924, which transitions there into Tollgate Road, and was the last signal prior to I-95, was converted from a traffic signal into a grade-separated diamond interchange, which was fully functional by the early fall of 2011.
From the land of red, white, yellow and black.

My clinched highways: http://tm.teresco.org/user/?u=epzik8
My clinched counties: http://mob-rule.com/user-gifs/USA/epzik8.gif

BigRTM

Being a Tampa native, I do know about the history of I-75/I-275 here (the Tampa portion of I-275 originally being I-75 and so forth). And yes, technically I-75 is the bypass even though some may have not realized it.

Roadgeekteen

Quote from: jakeroot on August 03, 2017, 08:24:54 PM
Quote from: Bruce on August 03, 2017, 07:31:56 PM
Thanks to highway-oriented sprawl, almost all bypasses will eventually become congested enough to be useless. No matter how many lanes, no matter how few exits.

They are a bit ironic, aren't they? Without smart growth planning, they become futile.
Then build another beltway.
God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

froggie

US 89

Quote from: Roadgeekteen on August 04, 2017, 10:33:38 AM
Thanks to highway-oriented sprawl, almost all bypasses will eventually become congested enough to be useless. No matter how many lanes, no matter how few exits.

They are a bit ironic, aren't they? Without smart growth planning, they become futile.

Which will then become congested enough to be useless. When you build the new freeway, tons of stores and businesses move out to the new freeway. That sets off a chain of growth that inevitably will result in the freeway.

Also, many cities have sprawled enough for one of two things to happen:
1. The city has sprawled up right to the base of mountains, so there isn't room for a new freeway without tearing down tons of houses.
2. A new beltway would have to be placed at an excessive distance like 50 miles from the city center in order to not tear down any houses.

Roadgeekteen

God-emperor of Alanland, king of all the goats and goat-like creatures

Current Interstate map I am making:

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/edit?hl=en&mid=1PEDVyNb1skhnkPkgXi8JMaaudM2zI-Y&ll=29.05778059819179%2C-82.48856825&z=5

Bruce

That doesn't fix anything. It just lines the pockets of contractors (who in turn donate heavily into PACs).

The real fix is to heavily limit development outside of existing urban areas. Sprawl is the root cause of a lot of America's problems.

Buffaboy

Where I am, it would be like 10-15 miles out from the current "beltway" because of poor planning and excessive eastward sprawl.
What's not to like about highways and bridges, intersections and interchanges, rails and planes?

My Wikipedia county SVG maps: https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/User:Buffaboy

SSOWorld

Get off my lawn!</nimby>

----

Any bypass that is tolled might be an exception. Take Chicago.  The routes through the city are very packed consistently.  The Tri-State will clog, but not as often as the Kennedy/Ryan combo.  The Skyway/Indy Toll Road is almost never packed though as the mainstream cuts down to the Borman - clogging the southern end of the Tri-State combining with mainstream I-80.

St Louis qualifies as well - if you take I-255 instead of I-270.
Scott O.

Not all who wander are lost...
Ah, the open skies, wind at my back, warm sun on my... wait, where the hell am I?!
As a matter of fact, I do own the road.
Raise your what?

Wisconsin - out-multiplexing your state since 1918.

amroad17

This statement from a person that has two bypasses around Boston--near where he lives.

Louisville also has the potential to have the same issues Boston has with their two bypasses (I-264, Watterson Expy; I-265, Gene Snyder Freeway).  I-264 is pretty much an urban-type freeway with all the sprawl that has encompassed it.  I-265 has not yet reached that point although more sprawl is heading in that direction.  Because it is two lanes each way, there are traffic backups at certain points along the route during the rush periods (I-65, US 31E/150, I-64/US 60, and around the Ford plant at Exit 32).
I don't need a GPS.  I AM the GPS! (for family and friends)

Bitmapped

The I-470 Wheeling, WV bypass has higher traffic counts than mainline I-70 through Wheeling.

Joe The Dragon

Quote from: Bitmapped on August 11, 2017, 10:26:34 AM
The I-470 Wheeling, WV bypass has higher traffic counts than mainline I-70 through Wheeling.
well that is also the truck route

JJBers

Isn't I-95 technically a bypass of CT 15...which would mean that I-95 is wayyyy busier than CT 15.
*for Connecticut
Clinched Stats,
Flickr,
(2di:I-24, I-76, I-80, I-84, I-95 [ME-GA], I-91)

freebrickproductions

Not an interstate, but the "bypass" of US 231 around downtown Dothan is much busier and more congested than Business US 231 through downtown Dothan is.
It's all fun & games until someone summons Cthulhu and brings about the end of the world.

I also collect traffic lights, road signs, fans, and railroad crossing equipment.

(They/Them)

TheHighwayMan3561

Quote from: freebrickproductions on August 11, 2017, 02:00:38 PM
Not an interstate, but the "bypass" of US 231 around downtown Dothan is much busier and more congested than Business US 231 through downtown Dothan is.

I would expect this is the case in a lot of places; this is how a lot of small-medium cities declined because they were bypassed and the traffic no longer went through their business district.
self-certified as the dumbest person on this board for 5 years running

JKRhodes

I'd say the Loop 101 in Scottsdale and North Phoenix, largely between Shea Blvd and I-17 is prone to heavy traffic, to the point that I've detoured on surface streets several times, or opted for the US 60 - I-10 - I-17 route when traveling from the east valley to points north of the valley.

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.