News:

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on what errors you encountered from the forum database changes made in Fall 2023. Let us know if you discover anymore.

Main Menu

I-69 in KY

Started by Grzrd, September 20, 2010, 12:25:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Captain Jack

Off topic when it pertains to food is always alright with me..lol.

The Carousel was previously The Merry Go Round East. From what I understand, I think some employees bought it from the owners of the Merry Go Round and renamed it The Carousel. The building originally housed a Bonanza Steakhouse for many years.

The food at the Carousel is good and is indeed very similar to the Merry Go Round. You just don't get that old time highway feel that you get at the Merry Go Round.

I drove both sections of Business 41 the other day. I think the Merry Go Round, Roca Bar and House of Como are the last three businesses on the entire stretch still doing what they did when the highway used that route. Most of the motels are still there, but I think every single one of them have changed their name, and they aren't servicing the same clientele they did back then.

Grzrd

This article reports that KYTC is studying the possibility of making the southern 38 miles of the Breathitt/Pennyrile Parkway part of the I-69 Corridor:

The Edward T. Breathitt Pennyrile Parkway might be getting a new designation, as the Interstate 69 project gains momentum.
The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet is currently conducting a study to determine whether the southern portion of the parkway could possibly receive Interstate status. A similar study has already been conducted on the northern portion, which is now considered a future I-69 corridor ....
The KYTC is analyzing the parkway infrastructure and determining if it's suitable for Interstate designation. Hendricks estimates the study should take another eight months.
The southern portion of the Pennyrile Parkway runs about 38 miles, south of the Western Kentucky Parkway interchange all the way to I-24.

NE2

Not part of the I-69 corridor...
pre-1945 Florida route log

I accept and respect your identity as long as it's not dumb shit like "identifying as a vaccinated attack helicopter".

SFPredsFan

I haven't driven the Pennyrile in years but it would be a logical addition as an even numbered X24 or X69 since it would connect 2 Interstates. I know the Hopkinsville bypass that was just completed is up to Interstate standards but not sure about the section to I-69 and Western Kentucky Parkway. In any case KyDOT wouldn't have to do much to get that part up to date if they need to.

Grzrd

Quote from: NE2 on September 27, 2013, 03:22:55 PM

Agreed that it is not part of the statutory I-69 corridor.

andy

I think there are some uses of the term "corridor" which applies to some distance either side of the actual road.  I'm 20 miles away and considered to be within the "corridor" for some studies.

SFPredsFan

Quote from: Grzrd on September 27, 2013, 03:27:14 PM

Why not? The Audubon Parkway is going to be an X69 spur, so why wouldn't the southern Pennyrile since it would connect I-69 and I-24?

Grzrd

Quote from: SFPredsFan on September 27, 2013, 03:43:17 PM

Why not? The Audubon Parkway is going to be an X69 spur, so why wouldn't the southern Pennyrile since it would connect I-69 and I-24?

"I-69 Corridor" is commonly understood to mean the statutory descriptions for High Priority Corridors 18 and 20, and NE2 is correct in pointing out that the southern Pennyrile is not included in those statutory descriptions.

That said, I think that, if the southern Pennyrile were designated as an I-x69, you would also be correct in asserting that I-x69 could legitimately be described as a non-statutory addition to the I-69 Corridor "system" in Kentucky (as indicated by the "x69" number), even though it would not be part of the Congressional description. This would be analogous to how the Alliance for I-69 Texas views I-2, not a part of the statutory corridor, as being part of the Texas I-69 "system".

Indyroads

Quote from: SFPredsFan on September 27, 2013, 03:43:17 PM

That is something I have already proposed on my site. It makes sense that it would become an x69 spur. I have proposed I-269 as the suggested route number for this route.

Also what about the rest of the WK parkway. (and the BG pky) could it become I-58 ending at I-75/64 on Lexington KY. that would make sense since 99% of the roadway already exists and would only need minor improvements to bring it up to interstate standards. Plus a gap closure project at Lexington to connect it to I-75
And a highway will be there;
    it will be called the Way of Holiness;
    it will be for those who walk on that Way.
The unclean will not journey on it;
    wicked fools will not go about on it.
Isaiah 35:8-10 (NIV)

Alps

Quote from: andy on September 27, 2013, 03:41:44 PM
I think there are some uses of the term "corridor" which applies to some distance either side of the actual road.  I'm 20 miles away and considered to be within the "corridor" for some studies.

It's even better as an engineer. I've used the word "corridor" to refer to "the given route between the two ends of the study area" as well as "every road in the study area within X miles of the route in question", and everything betwee.

mgk920

Quote from: Grzrd on September 27, 2013, 03:06:51 PM
This article reports that KYTC is studying the possibility of making the southern 38 miles of the Breathitt/Pennyrile Parkway part of the I-69 Corridor:

The Edward T. Breathitt Pennyrile Parkway might be getting a new designation, as the Interstate 69 project gains momentum.
The Kentucky Transportation Cabinet is currently conducting a study to determine whether the southern portion of the parkway could possibly receive Interstate status. A similar study has already been conducted on the northern portion, which is now considered a future I-69 corridor ....
The KYTC is analyzing the parkway infrastructure and determining if it's suitable for Interstate designation. Hendricks estimates the study should take another eight months.
The southern portion of the Pennyrile Parkway runs about 38 miles, south of the Western Kentucky Parkway interchange all the way to I-24.

'I-41'?

:hmmm:

:spin:

MIke

froggie

I'd rather the whole of the Pennyrile become a rerouted US 41, but that's straying into Fictional territory.  KYTC could sign it as US 41 "today", whereas any Interstate signs (other than "Future") would require some notable upgrades to the existing freeway.  I've driven it.  It's not Interstate standard, especially the loop-only interchanges at the old mainline tollbooths.

Stephane Dumas

Bing maps show part of the Pennyrile pkwy in Hopkinsville between Exit 7 and Exit 12 marked as "Truck US-41".

Also Bing still show US-41 taking the Pennyrile pkwy between Nortonville and Madisonville like it did in the past instead of taking the alignement who was once known as ALT US-41.

Captain Jack

Quote from: froggie on September 28, 2013, 01:04:39 AM
I'd rather the whole of the Pennyrile become a rerouted US 41, but that's straying into Fictional territory.  KYTC could sign it as US 41 "today", whereas any Interstate signs (other than "Future") would require some notable upgrades to the existing freeway.  I've driven it.  It's not Interstate standard, especially the loop-only interchanges at the old mainline tollbooths.

I know the loop interchange at Sebree is planned to be replaced as part of the I-69 conversion within the next two years. Such has been the case along the former WK stretch. I am sure the other one at Hopkinsville would be converted as well with any plan to number this as an interstate.

As I have posted before, if they are going to do this, instead of another 3-di from Nortonville to Hopkinsville, I would like to see it get a 2-di from Evansville to at least the 24 interchange, if not on to Nashville...for example, I-61. It would be co-signed with 69 for part, and would eliminate confusion on the Evansville-Nashville route. If that section goes 3-di, you would have at least 3 numbers on a 150 mile route that was served by US 41. It would also leave the door open to continue it north at some point toward Terre Haute and Chicago.

hbelkins

Quote from: Stephane Dumas on September 28, 2013, 08:25:04 AM
Bing maps show part of the Pennyrile pkwy in Hopkinsville between Exit 7 and Exit 12 marked as "Truck US-41".

I believe it's still signed like that as well.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on August 16, 2013, 08:06:24 PM
This article reports that there will be a daylong conference, "I-69: Our Road to the Future”, on October 15 in Madisonville.  Many of Kentucky's foremost politicians have been invited to speak ...

This Messenger-Inquirer article (behind paywall) reports that Kentucky Governor Steve Beshear spoke at the I-69 Development Conference:

.... Improvements to bring the roadways up to interstate standards in the amount of $146.6 million will be made on seven interchanges in Henderson, Webster, Hopkins, Marshall and Graves counties by 2018, Beshear said. 
"These old interchanges have small ramps made for toll booths – not for merging in at 70 mile-per-hour traffic." he said.
The Dawson Springs interchange was the first to be rebuilt. A ceremony marking the start of construction took place in December.
The next interchange set for construction is located in Mortons Gap.The governor said officials with the Kentucky Transportation Cabinet have sought bids for the project and hope to have the job under contract by December.
"We will continue to push ahead,"said Beshear. "We believe in the importance of I-69." ....
By the time he is out of office in December 2015, construction on I-69 will be so far along there will be no other choice but to make sure the project is completed, Beshear said.

It is interesting that Beshear wants to be partially remembered as the Kentucky bookend counterpart to former Indiana Governor Mitch Daniels in terms of making I-69 an inevitable proposition for his state.

The I-69 Ohio River Bridge is briefly mentioned in the article, but (unike the article in this post) no mention is made of the new BridgeLink initiative:

The Ohio River crossing connecting Henderson to Evansville is currently not up to interstate standards and will also require upgrades. Plans call for a bridge to be constructed that would lead traffic around the east side of Henderson and connect with what is now the Pennyrile Parkway.

thefro

http://surfky.com/index.php/news/local/hopkins/39358--kydot-district-engineer-presents-road-work-updates

Another update  from this week

QuoteKentucky Transportation District 2 Engineer Kevin McClearn presented an update to projects around Kentucky during a recent Madisonville Rotary Club meeting.

McClearn told the Rotarians that Kentucky spends almost $1 billion each year on roads and highways (maintenance, upgrades and new projects) with a major portion of it in District 2. The District has the most roads (3,300 miles), the most four-lane roads, the most bridges, the most employees (270) and the fourth largest population.

McClearn said that he is working on placement of I-69 shields as quickly as possible. He has five current projects ongoing to get the roadways up to interstate standards, he said.

"We have 38 miles of the old Western Kentucky Parkway from old MP 0 to MP 38 designated as I-69...at a cost about $10 million,"  said McClearn. "And, with I-24, another 17 miles of I-69 is official."

The I-69 transition at the WKP to Pennyrile Parkway "will be a transportation feature you don't see in Hopkins County very often,"  he said referring to the engineering rendering in the photo.

The "Design Build"  is unique and a quicker process, said McClearn. He expects to see action on it next spring. Drivers will be able to negotiate the turn without using the current ramps and cloverleaf.

"You will be able to make the turn from either direction at 70 miles per hour,"  said McClearn.

Other improvements planned next spring include the Pennyrile Parkway to Henderson and the Mortons Gap interchange will see a total rebuild, he said.

"This will be a large undertaking and will be late in 2014 before the project will be let,"  he said.

McClearn said putting up the I69 shields will increase visibility for Madisonville.

"Total cost for I-69 in Kentucky will be $146,000,000,"  he said. "The goal is to get the I-69 shields up and Madisonville can advertise that we are now on an interstate."

The number does not include a bridge near Henderson. McClearn estimates the Ohio River Bridge for I-69 to be $1 billon. Other estimates have been as high as 1.4 billion, he said, and suggested that tolls may be necessary to fund bonds to build the Ohio Bridge.

seicer

Total rebuild of the Pennyrile from the Western Kentucky north? I wonder if they will rebuild it full depth with new concrete like they have done with the Audubon.

Just noticed Exit 68 has room and ROW for a full interchange. Will be nice to see that done.

jnewkirk77

They've only fully rebuilt about 8-10 miles of the Audubon, from just west of the KY 416/Hebbardsville exit to the Green River bridge, including the cloverleaf ramps at 416 ... and why they didn't just rip those out and replace 'em with a diamond interchange, I do not know.

East of there, they replaced small sections as needed, and did a good diamond-grinding on the rest. (It really is a quality job, far better than any other in this area to date.)

hbelkins

Heard today that the high-speed connections for the through I-69 route at the WK/Pennyrile interchange will go to bid in December.

Government would be tolerable if not for politicians and bureaucrats.

Grzrd

Quote from: Grzrd on July 28, 2013, 08:35:07 PM
This article reports on how the anticipated location of the I-69 Ohio River Bridge ("probably somewhere near the mouth of the Green River"), and the anticipated new terrain approach to the bridge will probably make Second Street (KY 351) "the logical front door when I-69 happens" (essentially replacing the US 41 North strip); as a result, Henderson already has efforts underway to improve the Second Street (KY 351) corridor
(above quote from I-69 Ohio River Bridge thread)

This article provides an update on rezoning efforts along the Second Street corridor aimed at creating the new I-69 gateway to Henderson:

Henderson is looking at rezoning some areas of Second Street and adding developments for a new gateway into the city.
The Henderson City-County Planning Commission has discussed the idea for a new gateway to Henderson with city commissioners, working on the project for about a year now. They say they need a new gateway for when the I-69 corridor comes through.
They're hoping to do it in three phases. The first will begin from the Second Street overpass to Ingram Street
, with the second and third phases extending to the Pennyrile Parkway ....

SEWIGuy

Quote from: Henry on August 22, 2013, 01:27:29 PM
Quote from: hbelkins on August 22, 2013, 12:45:16 AM
My experiences on US 41 between I-70 and I-64 are that the route is perfectly adequate for the amount of traffic it carries and the area it serves. Not everything has to be an interstate, and the existing US 41 is perfectly fine.
Try telling that to the ones who wanted I-69 in Terre Haute!

The reason people were in favor of that was because it was thought to be a cheaper alternative than the new terrain route.  Especially considering that I doubt I-69 traffic counts are ever going to match their projections.  I took the portion of I-69 north of Evansville last week, and the traffic was embarrassingly low, even for a four lane rural interstate.  I fully realize that it wont' meet its capacity until fully completed, but I really have my doubts that the entire exercise will be considered worthwhile in the end.

That being said, US-41 is just fine between Evansville and Terre Haute...and yeah Terre Haute is a mess, but how much do you really want to spend to relieve what I think is mostly local traffic?

silverback1065

Quote from: SEWIGuy on November 24, 2013, 05:35:47 PM
My experiences on US 41 between I-70 and I-64 are that the route is perfectly adequate for the amount of traffic it carries and the area it serves. Not everything has to be an interstate, and the existing US 41 is perfectly fine.

The reason people were in favor of that was because it was thought to be a cheaper alternative than the new terrain route.  Especially considering that I doubt I-69 traffic counts are ever going to match their projections.  I took the portion of I-69 north of Evansville last week, and the traffic was embarrassingly low, even for a four lane rural interstate.  I fully realize that it wont' meet its capacity until fully completed, but I really have my doubts that the entire exercise will be considered worthwhile in the end.

That being said, US-41 is just fine between Evansville and Terre Haute...and yeah Terre Haute is a mess, but how much do you really want to spend to relieve what I think is mostly local traffic?

Of course the traffic on 69 is low, it begins in the middle of nowhere and ends short of the ohio river, until it is complete, I wouldn't pay attention to traffic counts.  Also the us41 alternative was never a good idea, it was just used to appease the people who didn't want their land messed with on the current route. 

SEWIGuy

Quote from: silverback1065 on November 24, 2013, 06:13:36 PM
Quote from: SEWIGuy on November 24, 2013, 05:35:47 PM

Of course the traffic on 69 is low, it begins in the middle of nowhere and ends short of the ohio river, until it is complete, I wouldn't pay attention to traffic counts.  Also the us41 alternative was never a good idea, it was just used to appease the people who didn't want their land messed with on the current route. 

Agree on both counts.

roadman65

Just how do they measure the amount of long distance travelers.  I mean we all know how each state measures daily traffic counts by installing the same detector loops that are used at signals at various points along interstate, and local arterials.  However, how to you actually determine which counts in each area are the same counts unless you have what Florida uses and a mini chip inside our tags which are measured and counted by ugly white squares either attached to traffic lights or along the side of freeways on ugly assemblies.

As far as I can tell there is really no way to say how many cars and trucks travel the whole length of I-5 from Mexico to Canada.  We can estimate from the data collected from the three states it transits, but we cannot be one hundred percent of just how many full length travelers use the single digit N-S freeway.
Every day is a winding road, you just got to get used to it.

Sheryl Crowe

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.