News:

Needing some php assistance with the script on the main AARoads site. Please contact Alex if you would like to help or provide advice!

Main Menu

Unique, Odd, or Interesting Signs aka The good, the bad, and the ugly

Started by mass_citizen, December 04, 2013, 10:46:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wanderer2575

Quote from: roadman on April 18, 2019, 01:24:35 PM
Quote from: roadfro on April 18, 2019, 12:57:09 AM
Quote from: roadman65 on April 16, 2019, 10:38:45 PM
https://goo.gl/maps/EKxk7YiUeWGQwHSK8
Like the way the pull through on I-440 is hanging beneath the gantry to keep the panels all aligned evenly at the bottom.
Interesting that even the mounting of the biggest sign on that gantry is vertically aligned to the top of the sign instead of the center. Don't most agencies that use this style of sign bridge usually center align all the signs on a structure?

Yes.  Generally accepted practice for overhead sign structures is to center all sign panels on the horizontal member of the structure.  Had that been done in this case, they could have likely used a trichord structure with single uprights instead of the four-chord structure, which would have been less expensive.

Michigan used to be very big on aligning multiple BGSs on the bottom, and I think it's a very neat look.  As narrow triangular "trichord" gantries are becoming more standard in the state, signs mounted on them are often center-aligned and I think it looks sloppy.  I guess it's a matter of being used to what you grew up with.

D-Dey65

Quote from: ipeters61 on April 21, 2019, 08:37:31 PM
Was visiting family today in New Jersey.  OH MY GOD THESE WERE SO BEAUTIFUL.

Yes, those are really nice. New York still has a few of these leftover too. And guess who took a shot of one;
https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Old_Fashioned_Directional_Sign_on_US_1_in_Rye.jpg

No, I'm not the only person to get a shot of one of these things, but you're welcome anyway.

Bruce

During the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival, there's dozens of posted signs along country roads to direct tourists to certain fields that are open to the public.

MNHighwayMan

That lane control sign with the route marker in it is pretty neat too. Is that something Washington does regularly?

paulthemapguy

I thought this BGS in Missouri was interesting because of the placement of the two exit arrows.  They are so close to the top of the sign, yet they don't impede your ability to read any of the other symbology!  I kind of like it.  (The one on the right)

https://goo.gl/maps/kwKuLgYyseGaNGRy8
Avatar is the last interesting highway I clinched.
My website! http://www.paulacrossamerica.com Now featuring all of Ohio!
My USA Shield Gallery https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHwJRZk
TM Clinches https://bit.ly/2UwRs4O

National collection status: 384/425. Only 41 route markers remain!

jakeroot

Quote from: MNHighwayMan on May 01, 2019, 01:52:35 AM
That lane control sign with the route marker in it is pretty neat too. Is that something Washington does regularly?

It's not a regular thing, but there are other examples. None that I can think of readily, to be fair.

What I've always found most interesting about that lane use sign, is the inverted shield. WA's bust is almost always black-on-white.

ipeters61

Quote from: jakeroot on May 01, 2019, 11:29:31 AM

It's not a regular thing, but there are other examples. None that I can think of readily, to be fair.

What I've always found most interesting about that lane use sign, is the inverted shield. WA's bust is almost always black-on-white.
I like the use of the inverted shield in cases like this.  I get it's not the "official" design, but since the shape is distinctive, it's still recognizable, in my opinion.
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

jakeroot

Quote from: ipeters61 on May 01, 2019, 02:04:03 PM

I like the use of the inverted shield in cases like this.  I get it's not the "official" design, but since the shape is distinctive, it's still recognizable, in my opinion.

I concur. What WSDOT will usually do on HOV signage, which is black-on-white up here, is used outline shields. Which are cool in their own right, but I think an inverted shield would be better

I've also seen white-on-green shields, but those are a bit less common. There's also black-on-orange, which are reserved for construction signage. I certainly appreciate our decidedly simple state route marker, as it can be used in so many different ways.

ipeters61

Quote from: jakeroot on May 01, 2019, 02:10:21 PM

I concur. What WSDOT will usually do on HOV signage, which is black-on-white up here, is used outline shields. Which are cool in their own right, but I think an inverted shield would be better

I've also seen white-on-green shields, but those are a bit less common. There's also black-on-orange, which are reserved for construction signage. I certainly appreciate our decidedly simple state route marker, as it can be used in so many different ways.
I remember where I used to live in CT, all of the HOV signs for this one exit had no border around the state route shield (a square), so we ended up with this: https://goo.gl/maps/fg89eQeCDcf8Katq7
Disclaimer: Opinions expressed on my posts on the AARoads Forum are my own and do not represent official positions of my employer.
Instagram | Clinched Map

MikeTheActuary

Big John

^^ That could go in the Faded Beyond Recognition thread.

KEVIN_224

Detour in French is deviation. What does beaudry mean?

Eth

ErmineNotyours

Quote from: jakeroot on May 01, 2019, 02:10:21 PM

Another inverted Washington State shield.  It looks like a temporary construction contractor sign that never went away.

6a

Groveport, Ohio is having trouble growing some of its roads to match the industrial growth of its surrounding cities and townships. Either that or they have zoned their roads very differently from their neighbors. They also are rather creative in the signage department.

hotdogPi

From what I can tell, this area isn't even bilingual.

Por lo que puedo decir, esta área ni siquiera es bilingüe. (excuse Google Translate)
Clinched, plus MA 286

Traveled, plus
US 13, 44, 50
MA 22, 35, 40, 107, 109, 117, 119, 126, 141, 159
NH 27, 111A(E); CA 133; NY 366; GA 42, 140; FL A1A, 7; CT 32; VT 2A, 5A; PA 3, 51, 60, QC 162, 165, 263; 🇬🇧A100, A3211, A3213, A3215, A4222; 🇫🇷95 D316

Lowest untraveled: 25

6a

Quote from: 1 on May 03, 2019, 08:07:39 PM

Por lo que puedo decir, esta área ni siquiera es bilingüe. (excuse Google Translate)

It's an interesting area, but the truckers serving it are certainly from many different cultures. In fact, very near that sign (in the no camiones zone) is a mosque.

TBKS1

I didn't even notice this until the day after I took this photo

Not sure how often this happens but this is the first time I've ever seen a State Highway and a Farm-to-Market road get mixed up.
I take pictures of road signs, that's about it.

General rule of thumb: Just stay in the "Traffic Control" section of the forum and you'll be fine.

jakeroot

I have no idea where to post this...  I think this counts as "bad" as the sign appears to have been installed without much thought. An intersection in Walla Walla (WA) has a "no turn on red" sign for an approach where the right turn occurs via a slip lane: Plaza Way @ Tietan St.

MikeTheActuary

Quote from: Eth on May 02, 2019, 09:45:37 PM
Quote from: KEVIN_224 on May 02, 2019, 08:43:42 PM
Detour in French is deviation. What does beaudry mean?

That's probably a street name.

Yes.  But the main reason I posted it: the detour indicates that one should go to the left.  However, the intersection is posted as right turn only.

Ned Weasel

Here's an odd, non-standard lane diagram sign for an intersection in Harrisonburg, VA that I've never seen before.  This photo was taken by a friend: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7r656okppvhzbpa/photo_2019-05-05_17-12-05.jpg?dl=0
"I was raised by a cup of coffee." - Strong Bad imitating Homsar

Disclaimer: Views I express are my own and don't reflect any employer or associated entity.

ipeters61

Quote from: stridentweasel on May 05, 2019, 06:32:25 PM
Here's an odd, non-standard lane diagram sign for an intersection in Harrisonburg, VA that I've never seen before.  This photo was taken by a friend: https://www.dropbox.com/s/7r656okppvhzbpa/photo_2019-05-05_17-12-05.jpg?dl=0
That just looks needlessly confusing.
Instagram | Clinched Map

roadfro

Quote from: ipeters61 on May 05, 2019, 07:03:34 PM
Quote from: stridentweasel on May 05, 2019, 06:32:25 PM
That just looks needlessly confusing.

I am often both impressed and appalled by some agencies' ability to create custom signs for situations in which a standard sign has existed for decades...
Roadfro - AARoads Pacific Southwest moderator since 2010, Nevada roadgeek since 1983.

US 89

Could not figure out what this red X sign was supposed to mean. Taken southbound on US 29 at Astor Avenue, south of downtown Atlanta:

Opinions expressed here on belong solely to the poster and do not represent or reflect the opinions or beliefs of AARoads, its creators and/or associates.